Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Proud new owner of a 3.3 Revo

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
MAXXCHEVY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new owner of a 3.3 Revo

Just brought this baby home and damn it is bad, such an awesome truck got it for $459 from my LHS. But i want the motor to last as long as possible do you think i should break it in with the traxxas method or something else? like heat cycle?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Danju

Default RE: Proud new owner of a 3.3 Revo

i had good luck with the traxxas method...3.3 still running at 4 galls...but now i have a new engine...and i broke it in using the heat cycle...its about 1/2 gal for my new engine...everythings going very smooth. i have yet to face any problems with either engine concerning break in. [8D]

btw, you got a very nice deal on a brand new revo 3.3 when i got mine in 06, cheapest i could find from an LHS was 490...i got mine for 478 out the door. ... g'luck on your revo and be sure to post pics [8D][8D]
Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase of your new "toy" he he he , as far as the break-in method goes, I used the traxxas instructions; I have almost 2 gallons on my 3.3 and so far so good as far as I can see anyway....[8D]
Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Art91

The Traxxas break in method worked fine for me, my 2.5 has just about seven gallons run through it. BTW, congrats on the new revo, and good luck with it.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 AM
fox23

i used traxxas method on my revo and it has almost 3 gallons on it and looks to be still going strong. i paid $550 CDN, which was a good deal.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 AM
MAXXCHEVY

What would you recommend for a good temp gauge? i was looking at the venom, also do most of you still run the dual steering servos?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
VXL BURRITO

DuraTrax flashpoint works really well. My brothers has one and it works fine. I juts bought one too for my new Revo.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
MAXXCHEVY

should i get an on-board temp gauge or hand held gun?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM
envisa

I jumped in the Nitro-hobby last month with a Revo 3.3 so my experience is limited. However I would strongly recommend to use a hand held gun. It doesn't take you more than 2-3 seconds to check the temp. If you have more cars, you can still use the same temp gun.
AFAIK if you have an on-board temp gauge you have to remove the body to see the display... Simply not worth it.

The cool thing with the hand held gun is that you can also check the temperature of many other things I discovered for example that my fridge was way too hot which explained why the milk got bad twice.

EDIT: And yes, I do still run with the dual steering servos. Works fine, just be sure that the length of the "metallic arms" connected to the servos are properly adjusted (in order to avoid unnecessary servo strain and battery drain). If you hear a lot or servo noise from the steering servos even if you lift the truck from the ground then you know that you need to adjust the length of the arms.

If you are racing you are interested in reducing the weight of your Revo as much as possible. Then it may be a good idea to run with one steering servo.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: MAXXCHEVY

should i get an on-board temp gauge or hand held gun?

Imo; I personally think the temp guns are a bit more accurate; especially like the ones(s) from a company called Raytek; which is the type of temp gun I have; but either the gage or a gun will work fine for ya [8D]
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
fox23

i have the duratrax flashpoint and it works awesome. i used to have a venom onboard failsafe/thermometer but i just didnt like it. and about servo's, i switch to one Hitec 985mg and its 100x better then stock, much faster, less weight, dry steers no problem and it was only like $60.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
[email protected]

well my duratrax flashpoint went bad or at least i think it did cuz its reading my hand at a 120 degrees but you guys think its cuz of the battery?

sorry to jack your thread and good luck w/ revo best MT i have ever test drived gonna get one here in a few weeks 454 from my LHS
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 PM
MAXXCHEVY

holly goodness i didnt know what i was missing until i broke in my revo, its so darn fast i cant believe it the suspesion travel is amazing, this thing is a beast. I only have one concern what shock oil weight and spring should i run to stiffen up the front end it dives way to much when i hit the brakes.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: MAXXCHEVY

holly goodness i didnt know what i was missing until i broke in my revo, its so darn fast i cant believe it the suspesion travel is amazing, this thing is a beast.

I hear that! I too was amazed when I did the break-in on Revo; I was totally surprised at how well it handled the rough stuff and how much power it had/does have on pavement etc. It still surprises me even to this day, about a year and 2 months approx. from the time that I got it.
[8D]