Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Elec. or Nitro REVO-convince me!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Elec. or Nitro REVO-convince me!!

i should imagine that if you dropped any revo off any 20 story building it would be pretty screwed up when it landed. Fact is both methods of construction have their advantages... and disadvantages. The reason the e-revo will kick ass is because the batteries are held below the deck, giving it a far lower COG than the regular nitro revo. Traxxas have already said it's the best handling revo platform, and no alloy willy waving nitro fan boys are going to change that.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:37 PM
jzemaxx

If you want to go fast go electric, if you like noise then go nitro.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 PM
beer=food
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

Traxxas has claimed that the plastic chassis used on the new e-revo is made of a different composite than the stardard stuff they have been using in their current electrics. Traxxas also claims with the new backbone support its suppost to be very tough. With the tranny set up and the way the motors run off the spur, I dont think they will have a issue with stripping spurs on their e-revo, but who knows anything till it comes out, well see.
l guess the question here is , Do you believe them ?
Because l believe they have changed it, but l have spent 2 years at kambrook moulding plastics in my younger days, and to change a plastic, requires one TEA cup of additives, its effectively changed, it aint no stronger but it can be claqimed to be.l trust they have changed it, not made any real gains in stregnth though, just gains in % dollars.
Fact here is this, plastic costs about 20 US dollars to mould the ENTIRE truck, the revo alloy chassis is about 5 bucks on its own to make, its high quallity metal, made in a , usually 8 ton or more MAZDAC or the like heavy punch system, its way dearer basicly, so if traxxas can ''convince'' you that its better than an alloy one, firstly, they have conned you, secondly they have lied to you, but most of all if they do convince you, they have ripped you off, because you are at that point purchasing something you believed to be stronger than a metal version.
Anything can be claimed to be ''very tough'' its what its compaired to that counts. Dont be overwhelmed by advertising lingo jingo.
Tell me would you buy a revo and which one if these were the specs ?

First, what you see now, the alloy chassis version.
Second a version of the current nitro revo with a plastic chassis ?
Or third the current model nitro revo with a titanium chassis ?

Which one and why ?

Pretty obvious which one requires the most engeneering isnt it/
Also pretty obvious which one is strongest, yes ?

After that can you see how they engineer plastic for profit over strength ?
There are better ways, imagine an E-Revo with a titanium/alloy chassis, megga light, very flexible, unbelievably strong, insanely strong actually, and what are they trying to convince you of, plastic is better, hahahahaha.......

It is dearer indeed, but l recon, like me , most would pay an extra 50 to 80 bucks on top of the current price for a titanium chassis, it is viable, especially in todays economic enviroment.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:09 PM
socal450

Titanium,is an awesome metal,lightweight,and when hit it will flex and give and return back to its shape(I ran TI. a-arms on my pro-level Yamaha 450 motocross quad).The downfall is it is too expensive!! Other metals,including aluminum,dont give nearly as much when subject to abuse,therefore leading to other vital parts on the truck breaking.I know for a fact that plastics have came a long way,and out of all the choises you gave,yes i would rather have the plastic chassis.RPM has some of the strongest arms in the biz.So you go ahead,have a beer and weigh down yur vehicles.Traxxas has a rep. to uphold in todays booming R/C market,sorry pal they did the homework here,so THANK YOU everyone,im the one who started this thread and i choose the mighty E-REVO over the nitro!!!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 12:07 AM
beer=food
Banned

But you said,

I know for a fact that plastics have came a long way,and out of all the choises you gave,yes i would rather have the plastic chassis,

after you said,

Titanium,is an awesome metal,lightweight,and when hit it will flex and give and return back to its shape(I ran TI. a-arms on my pro-level Yamaha 450 motocross quad).The downfall is it is too expensive!! Other metals,including aluminum,dont give nearly as much when subject to abuse,therefore leading to other vital parts on the truck breaking.

If you like me have used titanium, you would have realised that its as light as plastic, erm, only way way way way way way way way way stronger, doesnt flex as easily as plastic, doesnt snap like plastic, has almost no wear and tear issues when used as a chassis plate, if the revo chassis was made of titanium, the extra cost, about 200 dollars would be well worth it due to less breakages 'every-where' else on the truck, no to meantion the reputation traxxas would get from that one !
l dont understand the comment about me weighing down my trucks, thats a pretty funny comment, what are you actually talking about ?

The bit about traxxas having a rep and upholding it in todays booming R/C market, is different to HPI or Kyosho how ? Traxxas have a REP for butter drivelines......

Its good you have chosen the E-Revo, it looks like a great truck, no argument, havent you wondered though at how tough it could have really been with a titanium chassis plate design, we have a limited edition 'race' revo, recon a limited edition titanium edition would sell ? l do.
Maybe you havent pondered that yet because you havent busted it yet ! LOL !

What do you recon will have the MOST damage if an E-revo and a Nitro revo have a square head on at half speed ? My money is on the nitro version.

Hope you enjoy your new toy, it is what it is though, and one thing you can say about traxxas , is that traxxas have a unique way of tapping into the human bain with there advertising , they really have a nack for it. People just love em ! Well we all do to a degree l guess ! Traxxas could improve every MT in there range by a huge degree with very little effort or expence, never forget that, most companies are like that, traxxas however with there plastic drive shafts, man they take the cake ! Gold medal for design there, great for them, for you, well, poo ! sry butter !

hahaha go traxxas !

enjoy ya new toy bud, is it a water resistant version ?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 AM
socal450

$$$$$$ is a big issue with most,im happy to be paying $430 as opposed to $650.We obviously will know more on reliability when reviews on the truck come out!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Lilredmachine

Beer=Food, stop pigeon holing 'plastic'. You should know as well as anyone that there are an infinite number of types, strengths, blends etc. with different flexibilities, elastic limits, structural rigidity etc. just as there are with alloy. Until there is more information or you are actually holding and feeling (or better yet, bashing) the E-revo itself you know jack all, same as everyone else.

The E-revo is supposed to have taken a 6S lipo setup utlising a monster max and a Neu custom wind motor in testing, that makes a big block Revo look like a mcdonalds happy meal wind up and go toy, if it can take that then i don't think it'll have a problem with durability, nor with chassis flex.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Revodude29

I would go nitro I have a 2.5 and it runs as good as a 3.3 or Platnuim[>:][>:][>:][>:]
Nitro is the best way to go because you only have to fill up the tank then out it out on the track, on the other hand electric you have to wait for a battery every 15 to 20 min.

THis is why you should get nitro
Old 05-18-2008, 02:22 PM
beer=food
Banned

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

Beer=Food, stop pigeon holing 'plastic'. You should know as well as anyone that there are an infinite number of types, strengths, blends etc. with different flexibilities, elastic limits, structural rigidity etc. just as there are with alloy. Until there is more information or you are actually holding and feeling (or better yet, bashing) the E-revo itself you know jack all, same as everyone else.

The E-revo is supposed to have taken a 6S lipo setup utlising a monster max and a Neu custom wind motor in testing, that makes a big block Revo look like a mcdonalds happy meal wind up and go toy, if it can take that then i don't think it'll have a problem with durability, nor with chassis flex.
Ya goose l never bashed the E-revo , and plastic is what it is, plastic, no comparison for metal, you wanna debate this ?
Metal v plastic was the point. Nothing to do with what car he bought.
l own traxxas.
There are alot of types of plastic, none used in the Rc industry, even come close to titaniums qualities.....And you never answered the question, plastic revo metal revo head on crash, which ones more rooted ? Take a guess, whats the harm.
And a LiPo set up may make a nitro one look slow, ram it into a nitro one, see whats mostly shattered.
The point was as good as it is, which lm sure lve said, it could have been alot better with bugger all effort or expence.
What you seem to not realise, is l hate all companies, equally, and by being bluntfully truthfull about some things ,it is sometimes painfull for fanboys !
The whole idea of useing PLASTIC in ANY Rc that travels so fast as a chassis, is all marketing mr. Nothing more, it is not designed that way for weight, there are metals as light and lighter, like titanium, which are stronger, its done because plastic cost next to zero to produce, and that equalls huge profit, metal versions equal massive strength but higher costs, if they can con you its better than metal, there marketers have done a good job, and they have on you LOL, they get the truck out cheaper with plastic, but l'll put it to you again, if there were a limited edition titanium chassis version E-revo, would you get it over the present plastic one for 200 bucks extra ?
Would you ?
l know how many plastic pieces lve smashed over the years.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Mspeed

My personal opinnion would be that new backbone used on the electric revo is probably going to be the biggest factor in making the plastic chassis live up to a great reputation. Having a single platform chassis is more prone to flex/breakage/or bending in alum. without having a extra layer to connect/support it. I know a few revo owners complaining about a bent chassis were the airfilter neck touches the spur after some really bad recks. I guess well see, I personally think carbon fiber would be the best material to make the chassis out of on the e-revo. I know alum has one of the highest heat disappation rates, so not sure on the nitro model what would be best, alum or titanium.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:20 AM
wootham

This thread is fantastic guys! Lots of opinions on all sides.

I have used the Revo 3.3 and found it to be VERY tough except for the stock arms which can be solved with RPM upgrades(yes, they are plastic but work well and are extrememly cheaper than titanium). Titanium arms(or chassis for that matter) would without a doubt be far better than ANY plastic, however that does not mean to say that plastic would not suffice for any particular application. I am in the market as of now for a MT and was absolutely going to purchase the e-revo until I spent a day with my buddy's 3.3. Once we tuned in the engine this thing ran for hours in a forest preserve and took a lot of abuse. For a little less than six hundred bucks you can be up and running fairly easily and have plenty of power and speed around 40mph. I have really looked into what I would need to do to an e-revo to make it fly through something like a forest preserve for about 45 minutes and here is what I came up with:

(keep in mind I am erroring on the prices on the cheaper side)

e-revo 450
bl motor 140
ESC 160
batt#1 100
batt#2 100
Charger 200 (yes, u could get a cheaper one but do you want ur batts to last and work well or what?)
Lipo LVC 30
THere you have it. Over 1100 dollars and now you have some nice runtime, speed and power and can have fun next to a 3.3 revo. However you will of course have to charge the batteries and then the fun will be over for awhile during charging which is annoying if you head out for a day of bashing. Thats right folks - spend over $1,000 dollars and you end up with a plastic chassis. Again, Im not saying that the plastic chassis wont work well for I have no experience with it but it just seems a little unfair that so much money has been spent and you are still left with a plastic chassis. What I can tell you is that the REvo 3.3(at least the stock one which I have used exstensively) is pretty darn tough.

I am a fan of both electric and nitro and can say this - The 1100 dollar e-revo will be faster than the stock nito 3.3 but is it worth it? This is of course taking into consideration the fast the the 3.3 is plenty fast to begin with and run times are not an issue due to the whole nitro thing. fiftenn years ago I would have said that nitro is super annoying to enjoy but these days the things are much easier to keep running and are not nearly as messy as they were back then. I am leaning towards the 3.3 at the moment with the small possibility of converting it tp bl in the future. The initial investment to have a lot of fun with these relatively large monster trucks is much chaper if you go nitro.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:50 AM
rhylsadar

you cannot just compare the initial costs. in the long run things look differently. a good quality bl motor and batteries may last for years without additional costs. very different cost curves if you compare nitro to electric.

bye
rhylsadar

pic of a converted one

Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 AM
sloppyG

beer, you're such a joker

how do you know the aluminum being used is a good alloy? and you have no idea what the blend of plastic being used is either

there is plastic that will stop bullets, and metal that rusts in 2 minutes outside

a blanket statement like saying the chassis is better simply because it's AL vs plastic without knowing the properties and geometries of each is just false and incorrect

a well designed composite chassis revo absolutely could come out better in an impact vs an aluminum chassis
Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
socal450

O.K.......I went with a NITRO and i am loving it,break in went smooth,I still have the E-REVO on pre order!! I posted pics of my new NITRO 3.3 in the pics seg.Alot of good points on both sides of the fence, so im selling my brushless powered Rustler to help fund my two REVOS!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool man!! Glad to hear ya went nitro!!! But it sounds like u will have the best of both worlds so to speak once u get the e-revo thats on order!!! And glad to hear break-in went smoothly for ya!!! [8D][8D]
Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
wootham

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar

you cannot just compare the initial costs. in the long run things look differently. a good quality bl motor and batteries may last for years without additional costs. very different cost curves if you compare nitro to electric.

bye
rhylsadar
Rhylsadar - you are correct - you cannot JUST compare the intitial costs but the fact remains that the initial costs are not even close if you want comparative power. You are correct again - a quality bl motor and quality batts MAY last for years. There is no question that the Nitro costs will continue on a regular basis(plugs, fuel, oil, filters) where as electric has virtually no costs once purchased. I like them both. I am just trying to make points as to what is what. I think after reading these last few posts that I am leaning towards getting both and keeping the electric one stock.

sloppyG - I agree. Blanket statements are almost never accurate however if you were to compare a quality alum. chassis vs. a quality plastic chassis I would bet on the alum. But like you said if you dont know the materials that are being used then it can be tough to tell.

Maybe if I walk into Traxxas with my fists up they will produce a Brushless Lipo truck [sm=punching.gif]
Old 05-23-2008, 03:08 PM
rhylsadar

I am leaning towards getting both and keeping the electric one stock.
that is a very good idea. thats the way i am doing it also. i run electric-, nitro- and gas powered cars. all is fun for its own way.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 05-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar

bye
rhylsadar

pic of a converted one

Nice revo, very clean. I like to see people who take care of their equipment.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed; that is definately one VERY CLEAN and NICE LOOKING truck there!!! But now that its clean....its time to go out and get it "dirtied up" again he he he