Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Swap new and old E-Maxx transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 PM
NitroDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap new and old E-Maxx transmissions?

I know the new & old E-Maxx chassis are quite a bit different, but can a new style transmission be bolted up to the old E-Maxx? If not "bolted up," has anyone made it work? I have an old one but hate the manual shifting, plus will be going brushless (or selling it) pretty soon. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Swap new and old E-Maxx transmissions?

RC-Monster has an adaptor to get the 3905 trans into the FLM chassis. If going brushless, the best way to build up the trans (old 2-speed) is to:

1 ditch first gear. Bolt the selector to the 2nd gear and use a spacer to go where the first output gear was removed. Get rid of the selector shaft.
2 hardened steel idler gear from UE or RC-Monster, leave the pin in for the first gear idler just dont put an idler in
3 remove the 1st gear input gear from the input shaft, it has a set screw in it, use a spacer to replace the gear.

You need to use spacers because the gears hold the bearings in the trans case halves.

Another option is to bolt the selector to second gear, renove selector arm, and just remove the idler gear for first gear leaving the input and output gear for first in place.

Yet another option and by far the most expensive is to buy the Gorillamaxx single speed conversion. This is the best option if you are planning on racing because it gives you a new transmission half and gets rid of the need for spacers, saving weight.

If you need help or pics, let me know.

-JB
Old 09-02-2008, 05:53 AM
mycarisaser

Default RE: Swap new and old E-Maxx transmissions?

after all that You still have a crappy slipper that doesnt hold up to brushless power. (I put a 3906 emaxx tranny in one of my lst conversions"BIG MASTAKE" ) I ended up drilling a hole threw the top shaft and getting the new emaxx slipper to fit on there. So far its holdong up to a 8xl on a 5s lipo pushing a 16 pound aluminum lst2. I couldnt get any other slipper to hold up[&:]