Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Tuning an RB323 (in a Revo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
KamikazeParanoia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning an RB323 (in a Revo)

does anyone have a guide or any tips for tuning the rb 323 engine? i have read that it is different to the TRX engines but have not found out how/why
ideally i would love to see a video about it if there is one? cannot find one on youtube

p.s running o'donnell 25% race fuel

Thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuning an RB323 (in a Revo)

There really is no diffrence for in tuning. Each engine has a rich/lean mixture. You tune them all accordingly.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
DaveG55

The tuning procedure is the same for any nitro engine you will find in a car or truck.

First set all three needles to their base settings (if it has a midrange needle most reccomend leaving it alone unless you really, really understand tuning)
Then tune the HSN for performance, sound and smoke
Then tune the LSN for acceleration and responsiveness
Then set the idle screw as low as possible while maintaining a good idle

The procedure does not change from a .10 engine to a .40 (or whatever) engine
Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
gmcman

Your 323 will come from the factory pretty much set and you can start it right up. You may need to give it some throttle to compensate for the rich mix initially but stick to the RB guidelines about running very rich for the first tank...idling.

You may need to place a sock or something around the cooling head to build heat once it's running, but heat the case first with a hairdryer or heatgun until it's hot to the touch, will help greatly. Once it fires up, adjust the throttle trim until it just starts to pick up speed, then you may be able to adjust the flow with the HS needle and if so get it running rough (very rich) but keep it at just above idle. Granted if the HS needle won't get it blubbering open the LS a tiny bit.

Trick is to get it running, slightly advance the throttle with the trim, then slow it down by further richening the mix....good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 AM
KamikazeParanoia

Thanks for all the help guys, the engine with the truck is used so it doesnt need breakin however i will be idling for the first five minutes then running gently because of the different fuel and for piece of mind
i will let you know how i get on, so glad i dont need to learn some new tuning method
Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
gmcman

Ya didn't tell us it was used...drive it like ya stole it

Seriously though, just fill it up and re adjust the needles for the fuel and all is good. If it's wore out or gets wore out, you can replace with 523 parts like the piston/liner and the carb if it seems worn..I think the 323's had this problem.

Either case, it will last a long time and a rebuild is cheaper than what you can buy new for a different engine but will not likely match what you have.

The high RPM growl of RB motors is awesome.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

My RB 323 was a freaking MONSTER!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it had wicked torque. I just put an OS TM .21 on my Revo, have'nt started it yet, but I really thought about another RB. I miss the sound they produce and the power. That thing would pull wheelies in second gear at high speeds like nothing. I've always wondered how the Picco's run compared to the RB engines. I know they are mean too.