Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Disadvantages of T-Maxx .15?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:12 AM
sokar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disadvantages of T-Maxx .15?

I still have a T Maxx .15 from about 6 years ago that I still use and love. Are there any significant advantages to upgrading? Whenever I have a problem I take it into the local hobby store for repairs. It still works great.

Is there any large disadvantage to keeping the old T Maxx instead of upgrading? Such as fuel efficiency, durability, or something else I can't think of?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Disadvantages of T-Maxx .15?

Not really.

TBH, you probably have the better of the Maxx trucks...it's durable enough for how fast it goes. The newer trucks, on the other hand, break a lot more stuff because they're a lot faster[&:]
Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 AM
sokar

That's good to hear. Although I did lose control of it once and it slammed into a pole at about 40 mph (I think) and the chasse snapped. That was a $200 mistake lol.

So the T Maxx .15 is overall better (ignoring speed)?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an original Pro .15 T-Maxx and loved it. Then I upgraded it to full 3.3 (engine, chassis, driveshafts, suspension, everything but the trans) and I hated it. I couldn't drive it without breaking something. I wish I had just kept it original. I ended up selling it, although I still have the original Pro .15 engine and would love to find an original T-Maxx roller to put it in. In my opinion the original T-Maxx was by far the best.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the original T- Maxx with the Pro.15 as well. I also have a modified 2.5 Maxx. The original does not seem to have much power for climbing. I suppose I could drop a bell gear or 3 and it would climb about anything. Then it would be too slow on the streets. All in all, it is what it is, and thats not all that bad. The newer one does have a lot more power but also more torque to stress more components. Someitmes bigger is not always better. Might be more fun but is definetly more work.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM
DaveG55

Why in the world do you take it to the lhs for repairs? Parts are cheap and they are easy to work on. That $200 chasis repair would have probably cost less that $50 and an hour or so of your time. Learn to do the work yourself and you'll be better off in a lot of ways.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

If you're going to run RC vehicles you really should learn to repair them. I used to do the same thing but the guy I dealt with never charged me labor becouse I bought the parts from him and I would always tip him. I now work on them myself and not only is it cheaper but you get to learn how things work and it's fun too. You could have used that 100.00-150.00 you would have saved for more parts or upgrades. Just jump in and start doing it, you'll see how easy it is.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

A lot of people will tell you that the old pro .15 maxx was the best version made. The shorter arms really reduce the stress to bulkheads, hinge pins and a-arms on wheel and tire impacts. They are a little less stable than the newer versions, but since when was an MT ever expected to be stable?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: sb13

If you're going to run RC vehicles you really should learn to repair them. I used to do the same thing but the guy I dealt with never charged me labor becouse I bought the parts from him and I would always tip him. I now work on them myself and not only is it cheaper but you get to learn how things work and it's fun too. You could have used that 100.00-150.00 you would have saved for more parts or upgrades. Just jump in and start doing it, you'll see how easy it is.
definitely agreed here; simply because as Scott here has already mentioned; u can not only get away with getting the repairs or upgrades(whichever applies) done less expensively; u get a much better hand-on idea of how the truck comes apart and goes back together. Like he also said, indeed it is not that hard to do; even if u somehow have to refer to a owners manual(if u can find one for the old pro .15 and chassis, etc.), at least u will get a much better idea of what goes where, etc.....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 PM
nighttalk

yes
i have a tmaxx with .15 in it
had lots of good time and fun with it
i took it out running with my friend....they have tmaxx3.3, mgt8.0 savage..
mine is the slowest...
but in the other hand...my little tmaxx can run the longest time...they need to refuel a lot
and that tmaxx wont break that easy

but after i broke a few parts...i decide to get a new tmaxx
cuz when i went out with my freind...my truck always the slowest...
if i wanta make it wider and bigger engine....i have to spend around 300 bucks at least...
so i decided to spend a little bit more to get a new truck
problem free....shinning new truck...

but no q about it... i love my first tmaxx
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
sokar

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Why in the world do you take it to the lhs for repairs? Parts are cheap and they are easy to work on. That $200 chasis repair would have probably cost less that $50 and an hour or so of your time. Learn to do the work yourself and you'll be better off in a lot of ways.

I really should. The truth is I know nothing past the basics about these cars. I just enjoy driving them. I would really like to learn, would you recommend a website or video for learning about the parts and repairs of these cars?

But, the thing is that I'm too afraid to go poking around taking things apart. On the other hand, repairs at my local hobby shot are a pain in the ass. The guy charges a lot, and won't even work on it when its dirty without charging me a cleaning fee (like $20-30). So, I would really like to find a place to learn about these cars, because I want to work on my own car cheaply, and maybe even get a job at the local hobby shop working on these cars.

Note: I do have the basics of minor repair down. (IE Changing the spark plug, replacing batteries).
Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 PM
sb13

Sokar, That money you're spending is crazy man and you need to stop. After you start doing this stuff yourself you're going to kick your own butt for paying that guy at your LHS!! lol Seriously, there is not a book or video that will teach you as well as you learning by just doing it. I know this sounds scary and you don't want to mess things up but it's honestly not as bad or hard as you might think. You can not beat hands on learning so you're going to have to just bite the bullet and make the repair needed yourself next time around. When you take something apart learn to lay things out in order in a way that you know how it goes back together. Get a couple of small bowls to hold loose parts so you don't lose them. Take your time and don't rush the repair, pay attention to what you're doing and how things come apart. If all else fails you have all of us here willing to help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You will thank me BIG TIME once you start doing it youself and seeing the money you're saving. Your repair man at the LHS is making a killing from you and everyone else he or she does this for and he or she is laughing all the way to the bank. You have to trust me and everyone else here when we all say learn to do it yourself.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
dirtpile

Here are all the exploded views for your Maxx. Download them for future reference and you should be able to handle any repairs. And if you do get stuck you have everyone here to help.

The ones you need are the four in the middle under T-maxx with Pro .15
[link]http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/maxx/tmaxx/trx_tmaxx_views.htm[/link]
Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
sb13

Good going there dirtpile. That should help no doubt.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 PM
sokar

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, this is a little late. I brought it into my LHS about 3 days ago to get the T Maxx fixed. It was not starting properly, and it was making weird noises when starting. I had let it sit for a year without putting engine oil in. The first day it worked, the second day it didn't work so well. The repair is probably going to be $20-40. They charge a lot for labor ($20 per hour, $7 every fifteen minutes after that hour).

Anyway, I had no idea what was wrong with it, and I was afraid to tinker. I guess I know now that messing with it is the best option instead of paying ridiculous amounts for repairs.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 AM
sb13

Next time come here and ask people for opinions, you'll get it done and be alot happier plus you'll save $$ .
Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Montana Mike

I have been in the RC hobby for a little over a year and a half now. I live in Montana and the closest hobby shop is about 4 hours.... one way. So I was forced to fix my own and I am glad I was. Now if I am out and about running me lil trucks, I know what to look for if something is funny. Plus I completely understand the functions and mechanics of my trucks. It is really quite fun to be able to sit down and completely rip your entire truck down to the last screw, then put it all together. My first truck , T- Maxx pro.15, I ripped every screw out of the thing, completely cleaned every lil part and reassembled the thing like 3 times. Now I can do it blind. DO it your self, teach your self something. Knowledge is Infinite. And the interent helps alot too
Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
T.L.A.R. eng

ORIGINAL: daddimike

I have been in the RC hobby for a little over a year and a half now. I live in Montana and the closest hobby shop is about 4 hours.... one way. So I was forced to fix my own and I am glad I was. Now if I am out and about running me lil trucks, I know what to look for if something is funny. Plus I completely understand the functions and mechanics of my trucks. It is really quite fun to be able to sit down and completely rip your entire truck down to the last screw, then put it all together. My first truck , T- Maxx pro.15, I ripped every screw out of the thing, completely cleaned every lil part and reassembled the thing like 3 times. Now I can do it blind. DO it your self, teach your self something. Knowledge is Infinite. And the interent helps alot too
Well said, learning and working on them is part of the reward of this hobby.[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: sokar

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, this is a little late. I brought it into my LHS about 3 days ago to get the T Maxx fixed. It was not starting properly, and it was making weird noises when starting. I had let it sit for a year without putting engine oil in. The first day it worked, the second day it didn't work so well. The repair is probably going to be $20-40. They charge a lot for labor ($20 per hour, $7 every fifteen minutes after that hour).

Anyway, I had no idea what was wrong with it, and I was afraid to tinker. I guess I know now that messing with it is the best option instead of paying ridiculous amounts for repairs.
Indeed, like sb13(Scott) has mentioned; u will end up kicking ur own self for not at least trying to do the repair work by urself; because that way u get a much better idea of how the different parts come apart and go back together. And as one of the others mentioned; u always have the manuals and us here to help if needed.....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM
tiemac

Just got into this hobby last month.Bought two used t-max pro-15's. What a blast!! Traxxas web site has lots of exploded view PDF's you can download. Read all the articles on the T-max at http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/tm-pit-lane.asp They are way helpful. Post any repair or technical questions on this forum the people here are very helpful. I have done a lot of repairs and tuning on my trucks and find it enjoyable and gratifying to see them run after I did the repair or adjustments. Again thanks to all here who have helped me out.

CJ
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Montana Mike

ORIGINAL: T.L.A.R. eng

ORIGINAL: daddimike

Well said, learning and working on them is part of the reward of this hobby.[sm=49_49.gif]
ANd what a reward it is. You are out and about running your truck and it starts to make a weird noise or acts funny. Usually , if you know your vehicle, you can pinpoint it. And after putting your rig back together numerous times you know exactly what fixing that problems entails. I have built from scratch a customized 2.5 In the procees of putting it together, I have had the whole thing apart a TON !!!!!!!! But while I was breaking it in, when something went wrong I usually new exactly what is was by the way it acted. This hobby is not for the un-self motivated people. You have to be able to get into your machine and get if fixed and back together with minimal stress.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

for anyone interested, I have a lot of the old Maxx parts on hand like suspension arms and axles

if you think an old maxx is slow, when the old PRO .15 wears out get yourself a OS .18 CV RX with an 11J rotary carb, direct bolt in with similar performance to a 2.5, you have to go pull start, but they start pretty reliably even if not taken care of... mine sat for over a year, the only problem was the carb was gummed up, took it apart and cleaned it up and it's as good as new...

my .15 maxx isn't exactly as it used to be...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10254.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	1030689  
Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 AM
tiemac

I am interested. Just put an OS-18 CV RX in my .15. It hauls as****.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

just to clarify, my maxx isn't for sale (I do have a couple sets of suspension arms, some drive shafts and bumpers though), just showing what one can look like with some creativity and spare parts...
Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
dirtpile

So you two like your CV-RXs? I'm seriously considering that one since it won't require any extra parts. (My MAXX was a basket case for 6 years and only needs an engine to be complete.)

Any heat issues? I've heard they can get a bit hot in a MAXX. How's your driveline handling it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.