Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo steering mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Mash13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo steering mod

hey guys!well I cranked out the revo yesterday after ages of just sitting there, smashed out 2 litres of nitro threw her, had a sick time!anyways, I noticed that compared to my team vertex b1 buggy the steering on the revo was well erm, CRAP! I know a buggy will always have better steering, but the revo should steer more as standard! So I have been searching around on here and at the TRX website to find an easy fix. I found the slaydin steering mod, which involves dremeling a couple of tabs off the lower hinge pin retainer and bevelling of the steering bellcrank. OK so I have done this and I can see how much more steering play I have now gained, BUT the stock steering servo setup prevents the extra travel I just gained from being accessed!! Dammit! I know that there are a few of you on here who have successfully done this mod, could you guys help me out? Maybe some pics? I think that I have to convert to a single steering servo set up?anyway, I had almost forgotten about the revo after getting my buggy and VXL rusty. I have only really run it in the street and in areas that didn't really have enough room before. Man this truck CRANKS in sandpiles and the ruff stuff. She isn't the tightest turner but she holds well over the rutts flat out!cheers for your help guys!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Default RE: Revo steering mod

Are you using a computer radio? If so you can adjust your travel on the steering. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Mash13

Nah mate i'm just using the standard radio gear. Whole truck is standard apart frpm futabo throttle servo
Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
sb13

You might have a hard time getting the travel without one. Not sure but someone else will probably chime in and tell you more.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott is right; a computer radio such as the one I use(spektrum dx 3.0) is gonna allow u to "customize" a lot more things to be able to get that extra steering "ability". U can customize things such as the endpoints, length of travel, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
NitroVenom

Did you get a longer servo horn like the one shown in steve slaydins article? That will give you much more throw from the servo. What you could do, find someone who has a digital radio, hook there radio and reciver to your truck, and then set the epa's so the servo will turn more. Then just switch it back to your radio gear.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 AM
sb13

Hey NitroVenom, won't it just change back as soon as he switches it back over to his radio and receiver? I'm sure it will. You would need a Hitec servo thats programmable and the programmer itself to adjust the travel in order for him to use his gear and have more travel. I could be wrong.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 PM
NitroVenom

ORIGINAL: sb13

Hey NitroVenom, won't it just change back as soon as he switches it back over to his radio and receiver? I'm sure it will. You would need a Hitec servo thats programmable and the programmer itself to adjust the travel in order for him to use his gear and have more travel. I could be wrong.
I don't think it will. Since the stock gear doesn't have that option, there shouldn't be anything for it to switch it back to.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
sb13

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

ORIGINAL: sb13

I don't think it will. Since the stock gear doesn't have that option, there shouldn't be anything for it to switch it back to.
It's worth a try I would imagine. I'd like to know for sure now. That would be good information.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Mash13

cheers for all your replies guys! I do have a dx3.0 but its faulty, can only get 30meters range out of it before it starts glitching and acting all crazy. So that radio will be getting sent back to horizon, But I can answer the question about the "servo memory" unfortunately the servos go back to standard operating range after you pull the dx3.0 I have had it in the truck before with the end points fully adjusted and now that I think of it, is probably why I think the steering sucks now back with the tq3.

I will only be bashing I reckon, so would you guys recomend a single steering servo, or upgrade both?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
sb13

I knew that was the case but thought that maybe I'm wrong Mash, thanks for the reply.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
sb13

As far as bashing goes I would still only use one servo. I'm getting ready to do the same thing myself. I'm going to use a Hitec 5955, it has 333 oz of torque at 6 volts. It's overkill but I know some people using it and they love it.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Mash13

are you still going to use the stock steering setup or change the steering arm aswell? I've got afew mods in mind for mine - forward only, proline air filter, front/rear brakes, 23mm hexes, close ratio gears and the coated gtr shocks with the tin shafts.

my tires are pretty bald so get some better tires too.

what do you guys rckon of the proline beadlocks for the revo?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 AM
sb13

I need to talk to one of the guys who did it and get his opinion. I'll change whatever needs to be changed to make it work out for the best. I hope to do it soon so I'll post what gets done when it finally does.