Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

ALAS!!! It's A L I V E ! ! Thanks guys..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
TMaxxDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALAS!!! It's A L I V E ! ! Thanks guys..

went to LHS today... picked up a cheapy glow plug ignitor...

went home, stuck it in the hole, and VROOM!! Fired right up!! shoulda thoughta that a while ago, but ya know, ya live and learn EH?? Thanks again, to everyone for the suggestions...

By the way... My new fuel, combined with the temp outside, and my tuning job... WAS pulling the front end of my 2.5 maxx, OFF the ground... was mucho impressed today!!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ALAS!!! It's A L I V E ! ! Thanks guys..

See!!! we told ya u shoulda gotten a ignitor awhile ago and it would have solved any problems before they probably would have happened!!!. But anyway enuf of the ranting......glad to hear that the ignitor got it fire!!! [8D]
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah and its running better now, with the new fuel, and probably the cooler temps outside... i think i have a pretty good 2.5r engine on my hands, not the 3.3, or a Picco Red Dot, or RB or OS or anything.. but it does the trick for now, until i can save up the money to get a new motor...
Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

The insulation on the wiring harness for the ez-start is fragile garbage. I usually put shrink tubing over the blue wire to protect it properly along the sharp aluminum fins and i've not had a failure since doing this.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
TMaxxDriver

hmmm thats interesting GreenRacer... so you mean the clear plastic where the aluminum meets aluminum?? im kinda curious to try this now... the ignitor works fine, but would also like to try and troubleshoot to see whats wrong with the blue wire, before i yank it off!! [8D] more details if possible... thanks Green!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
GreenRacer

Well, you should solder a new blue wire on ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP09&P=M ) and then put heat shrink tubing ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD661&P=7 ) over it to make it more resilient to the sharp aluminum fins of the head/heatsink. Myself, I use a pair of needle nosed pliers to push it onto the glow plug so it seats in well. If the green glow plug LED lights up, it usually means it's igniting. If not, then there's no completed circuit.

I have an igniter on hand most of the time too but I love being lazy and just using the wand.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM
TMaxxDriver

i understand completely, and thanks for the link.. it makes more sense now... i have a brand new blue wire, but soldering it together, would probably be a good idea.. i also, use needle nose pliers to make sure that its on the plug good... i think i have everything i need to get it soldered together, and hopefully get it insulated better... (both green lights, light up) so i would assume that its igniting....
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

Well, you should solder a new blue wire on ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP09&P=M ) and then put heat shrink tubing ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD661&P=7 ) over it to make it more resilient to the sharp aluminum fins of the head/heatsink. Myself, I use a pair of needle nosed pliers to push it onto the glow plug so it seats in well. If the green glow plug LED lights up, it usually means it's igniting. If not, then there's no completed circuit.

I have an igniter on hand most of the time too but I love being lazy and just using the wand.

I agree, I love the convience of the ez-start and if it's maintained well, it works well. But that seperate ignitor as a back up can be really handy to isolate glow plug/wand problems. Like I said in my first post, you have to have air, fuel and fire to run. Find out what you're lacking and and you'll find why it won't start. Anyway, glad you got up and running.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah thanks Dave... found the problem, trying to figure out/fix the blue wire... ignitor is working for the time being... dont wanna eliminate the blue wire altogether... yet..
Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 PM
matts6887

Well, if u don't want to eliminate/get rid of the blue wire all together; then u should probably consider gettting a new wire harness which will have a new blue wire in it. The one problem with the blue wire, is that after so many periods of pushing the blue wire on with needle nose pliers and pulling it back off to change the plug, etc; the shielding that covers the end of the blue wire can start to wear away from the metal end part that pushes onto the plug...
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
rcnitrohead

Good to hear that you resolved the issue. I had that problem once a while back, but what really peeves me off are the EZ starter prongs. No matter how straight and carefully I put the EZ starter on, they always got bent and I would have to fiddle with them to align them. Then I switched to a pullstart engine, and boy did I hate it. In fact, I'll be putting my Sirio .18 up on the bay sometime real soon and picking up a Picco .26. That means back to the EZ start, and hopefully it wont crap out on me cause my unit has 9 gallons on it[:-][X(][X(][sm=spinnyeyes.gif] lol..

Tom.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 PM
matts6887

Wow!!! thats pretty good to have 9 gallons on that unit and have it still working man!!! Very cool. I hope I get lucky enuf to get that much runtime out of mine[8D]
Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 AM
GreenRacer

Well, I went ahead tonight and did it to my newest.

3" x 1/8" Blue shrink tubing, tweeze pliers (to stretch the tubing out), a mini tortch (lighter or match, or heat gun work GREAT too!) You can use 3/16" tubing, I just didn't have any handy. I ended up putting an extra piece of shrink tubing over the first piece, one small part in the tubing ripped when I knicked it with the pliers. You'll need to unscrew the head protector so the thicker wire will fit under the clip, then tighten it back down.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81763.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1032188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62327.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1032189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91999.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1032190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91281.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1032191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64477.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1032192  
Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
TMaxxDriver

very nice... so that insulates the wire better, and where it was exposed... and helps deliver the spark better to the plug??
Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
GreenRacer

ORIGINAL: TMaxxDriver

very nice... so that insulates the wire better, and where it was exposed... and helps deliver the spark better to the plug??
Yes. Helps prevent shorts. If the wire is cut, and held against the head it will short the circuit and cause a failure. Is your blue wire cut up like mine? It usually happens when you remove and remount the body.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 PM
TMaxxDriver

well mine is not cut, i just bought a BRAND new one, when i couldnt get my truck to fire up... now, i still dont know what the heck is wrong!! [:@]
Old 09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
tmanbu

Unless I am looking at your pictures wrong, It looks like you might have your fuel lines hooked up wrong. It looks like you have the line from your pipe going to the carb and it should be going to the tank. That is your pressure line. Where is the line from your tank going to. The line from the bottom of the tank should go to the carb and the line on the top of the tank goes to the pipe. Your problem looks like your not getting any fuel.

Never mind I lost tract as to who posted the pictures. The tubing didn't look right for a Tmaxx, I not sure about the Revo. Sorry
Old 09-13-2008, 08:46 PM
TMaxxDriver

i noticed that too, but didnt say anything... i figured that he 'meant' to do that...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
tmanbu

I just went to the Traxxas site, and it still don't look right. How does he get that to run?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 PM
GreenRacer

Hehe guys, I remove my fuel tank when I work on my revo. I dislike getting fuel all over everything while I work on it upside down.

I run the line from the pipe to the carb to get it out of the way and to keep from getting debris up into the carb. I do the same to the fuel line on the tank, run it from the output to the lid.

If your blue wire is intact then it's probably the wand that is malfunctioning.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM
tmanbu

That makes sence. It is a pretty good idea.