Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Need a new engine :(. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:52 PM
sokar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new engine :(. Help!

My T Maxx 1.5's engine is apparently lunched. The guy at my local LHS called and said he thought it may have been run without an air cleaner. I did run it a bit without an air cleaner a little over a year ago, but I stopped when I got a new one. So, assuming he's right, what should I do? He says a new engine, and it will cost me $80 plus 2.5 hours of work (a lot of money). Should I buy a new engine and install it myself, or just bite the bullet and have the guy do it? Is there a place that I can find an engine for cheaper? I don't mind another .15. 2.5 or 3.3 would be better, but if its gonna cost a lot more I don't need those.

What should I do?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:12 PM
bmxlube0_0

Default RE: Need a new engine :(. Help!

you should get a new engine from ebay and install it your self as its not hard
Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 PM
sokar

How much are engines generally on ebay, and what do I need to install it? Are there special screws and stuff I should buy, or do I just need the engine?

EDIT: I looked on ebay, and their engines aren't any less than $80. Should I install it myself?

Also, I just got off the phone with my LHS and they said it also needs a new pair of clutch shoes. So, if I were to buy the clutch shoes and the motor (about $100 alltogether) would it be possible for me to install it? Is it that hard?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:56 PM
TMaxxDriver

you take the screws out of the motor mount, and may have to disconnect a few other things, but nah its not that hard at all...
Old 09-13-2008, 05:18 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

are you wanting to keep the ez start? if so, you're pretty much stuck with the pro .15, if you're willing to go to pull start, go with the OS .18 CV RX(S) if you can find it, if you can't, get the one without the S, just make sure to get the rotary carb version, the S version will need no modifications at all, the other version with a longer shaft, the crankshaft will have to be cut with a hack saw or a dremel, it is not hard to do, you should be able to find someone with a dremel...

do it yourself, download the manual for your truck from Traxxas, they go through the engine removal process I think, I know there's a section on clutch stuff. if you end up with the long shaft engine, the engine comes with a nut for the crankshaft, thread the nut down until it stops, cut the shaft off at that point, when done, remove the nut and now you will be able to start assembling the clutch assembly

there are a whole 11 fasteners involved in swapping the engine, 8 for the engine mount, two for the exhaust and finally the clutch nut, that's it, the traxxas manual goes through adjusting the gear mesh between the clutch bell and the spur gear, follow those and you'll be fine, the OS engine even comes with a nice air filter assembly and a couple replacement filters

seriously, listen to everyone here, start doing your own work, it's not that hard, you'll save yourself a BUNCH of money, then affording the engine wouldn't be as big of a deal, the Maxx is one of the easiest RC's to work on, there's not much to it, and there's some shortcuts that can be made...
Old 09-13-2008, 05:28 PM
sokar

Well, I just got it back from my LHS, and I decided to not buy a new .15 pro at this time because I had learned that the repair guy had said that the motor was dirty only because there was a little bit of mud in the carberator, and it came in with no air cleaner. I'm not sure where the mud came from, but I had taken the air cleaner off purposely. I'm sure the mud had gotten there by some other means.

Now I have another problem, when I connect it to the battery it won't start. My starter is nearly broken, because one of the wires came loose, however I can connect it manually. The repair guy said my starter motor was weak, however now when I manually touch the two contacts of my starter to connect it to the car nothing happens. The person working at the LHS did not mention a new starter motor being required, so I assume its not the starter motor. Could it be because the battery was shorted a bit? Do I need a new battery?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
sokar

How much is that motor, ranger? I would love a pull start.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
rangerfredbob

it's $130 on tower right now, it used to be $105... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP7&P=ML

it doesn't look like they have the S version anymore

the OS .18 CVRX is comparable in power to a traxxas 2.5, and a bit more durable, and more of a bolt in than a 2.5 into your truck (to do that you'd have to install a throttle bellcrank and get a new exhaust manifold)

THIS is another option and is only $35, would bring life back to that pro .15, traxxas has a manual that shows you how to rebuild it on their website, that's not hard to do yourself either. if you decide to go this route, I would recommend fully inspecting the bearings , the rear bearing has a tendency to fail if it hasn't been taaken care of...
Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

My OS TM .21 was a direct drop in and they make it for the Maxx or Revo and includes the header needed for either truck. BTW, Don't EVER and I mean EVER run your engine without an airfilter again.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 PM
dirtpile

$130 at Tower. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP8&P=0]OS .18CV-RX(s)[/link]
Same at R/C Planet. [link=http://www.rcplanet.com/O_S_18_CV_RX_S_w_11J_Rotary_Carb_p/osm11860.htm]OS .18CV-RX(s)[/link]
And at Advantage [link=http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=39756&cat=390&page=1]OS .18 CV-RX(s)[/link]
Same on eBay at the moment, but if you keep looking one might pop up cheaper.
It's a good engine (You KNOW it is when it says O.S. on it.) with at least double the power of the Pro. 15 you have now. And sadly there aren't too many drop in choices anymore. Almost all the engines made now are either slide carb or rear exhaust, usually both.

And seriously, no matter which engine you go with, DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE GUY AT YOUR LHS!!! Unless that 2.5 hours includes breaking the engine in (and even then) you're getting raped, DRY!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
sb13

I like the way you put that dirtpile, you are 110% right. Do it yourself and learn and you'll feel great about the end result when you see it together and running.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 PM
sokar

Guys, thank you so much for your help, however the car is working perfectly now. I installed a new starter motor, and BOOM, started right up. The IDIOTS at my LHS assumed that because I brought it in with the air cleaner off and there was a bit of dirt in the carberator, that I needed a new engine due to a dirty engine. From now on, I do my own repairs. Good thing I didn't buy that new pro .15...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
sb13

Sokar, thats the spirit man. I'll always give you advice but I only know so much myself but others will do the same for you too and between everyone here you'll learn it and get it going when needed. This is a good day in the world of RC, we have another willing to learn. Great attitude sokar.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sokar

My T Maxx 1.5's engine is apparently lunched. The guy at my local LHS called and said he thought it may have been run without an air cleaner. I did run it a bit without an air cleaner a little over a year ago, but I stopped when I got a new one. So, assuming he's right, what should I do? He says a new engine, and it will cost me $80 plus 2.5 hours of work (a lot of money). Should I buy a new engine and install it myself, or just bite the bullet and have the guy do it? Is there a place that I can find an engine for cheaper? I don't mind another .15. 2.5 or 3.3 would be better, but if its gonna cost a lot more I don't need those.

What should I do?
I would do like one of the others already eluded to; and that is to spend the $ and get a new engine(either 2.5 or 3.3), and install it urself, u will save urself money on the labor for them to install it as its not that hard to put in...
Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 PM
sokar

ORIGINAL: sb13

Sokar, thats the spirit man. I'll always give you advice but I only know so much myself but others will do the same for you too and between everyone here you'll learn it and get it going when needed. This is a good day in the world of RC, we have another willing to learn. Great attitude sokar.
Thanks. I have a bit more repairs to do tomorrow because I crashed it (woops) and broke a steering axel (I think thats what its called). Its the plastic thing that connects to the wheel. Anyway, I need to get a new one and this time I'm doing it myself. Any estimate on how much those things are?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
dirtpile

The axle carrier/steering block should only run about $6.

And now that you're going to be doing your own work, here's another tip for you. Download the exploded views from Traxxas: [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/maxx/tmaxx/trx_tmaxx_views.htm]Here[/link]
Still looking for the Pro.15 parts list but the 2.5 list is close enough you can download that: [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/maxx/tmaxx/trx_tmaxx_parts-list.htm]Here[/link]

They are very helpful even if all you ever refer to them for is part numbers.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 PM
sokar

Thanks, but I think I figured it out today. I disassembled it and checked it out. Looks like the plastic snapped and the screw is bent. I removed the screw (I have more), and tomorrow I'm gonna buy a new one.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 PM
rangerfredbob

that would be a turnbuckle, you might have a hard time finding one of those for a pro .15 truck, if you can't find any at your LHS, go to your hardware store and get some 6-32 threaded rod, get a couple nuts too while you're there, the rod comes in 12" lengths, thread a nut down to the length you need (just measured some I have from when my Maxx was still running the narrow arms, front are 3.5" and rear are 4") and cut it with a hacksaw, or get a wire stripping tool for $5, they have a shearing tool on most of them for this type of thing, thread the rod in and cut it then thread it out. the threaded rod makes an alignment harder (you have to take one end off and turn either end in or out whichever it needs instead of turning just the link itself) but it works fine in a bind, if you notice in the picture of my maxx the front links (not the links for steering, the ones from the rockers) are threaded rod, they're bent, but they've been used for a couple gallons, all bashing

ok, just reread your post, looks like you just need the carrier, it's the same between the 2.5 and pro .15 trucks, the turnbuckle I was refering to is the link that goes from the carrier to the steering crosslink thing...

just remember, listen to the engine suggestions from those that realize you have a pro .15 truck, don't go and order the TM or 2.5/3.3, they are NOT a bolt on for your truck, there's a fair amount of added hassle (just exhaust and throttle linkage, but that's still added parts that you don't need if you just go with the CVRX) that you probably don't want to deal with on a first attempt...
Old 09-14-2008, 07:41 AM
sb13

Let us no your progress sokar.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 AM
matts6887

I agree with Scott on the "progress" thing. In that its always good to hear when one gets good advice from others; and u know that most if not all of us here will give good advice, so keep at it man.....don't give up!! [8D]
Old 09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
sokar

Yea, I'll be repairing it today.

And ranger, I don't think its a turnbuckle. Its plastic, and its not in a rod shape. I think my LHS carries these because I've broken this part before, and I just happen to have the suspiention screw things that screw it on.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:44 PM
matts6887

Well, good luck with fixing it there sokar!! [8D]