Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

2.5 to 3.3 trans ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
ALL RIDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 to 3.3 trans ?

I was wondering, I have a T-Maxx 2.5, that I put a 2.5r in, and now I am about to drop a 3.3 in, will the stock 2.5 trans be ok, or should I upgrade anything, also will the 3.3 trans fit in the 2.5, thanks. One more question can you buy the 3.3 trans seperate
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.5 to 3.3 trans ?

Yes, u should be ok with doing just that as it should be more than adequate to handle the added power of the 3.3.....good luck with it on that note there man..[8D]
Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
TMaxxDriver

thanks for asking that particular question.. as i am in the exact same position... i have the 2.5r in mine.. about to drop the 3.3 in, when it arrives at my doorstep thanks to sb13!! i know that the 3.3 is a power house compared to the 2.5r, but hopefully the 2.5 tranny can withstand the power increase... if not, looks like i will be fixin/replacin...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:36 PM
power454

I've been using the 2.5 trans for a couple of years now and I have a 3.3 engine in my tmaxx. It has taken the power and abuse without any major problems and I tend to bash pretty hard at times. You may have problems with the center drive shafts as I have known guys to brake driveshafts. Although, I never did. I have gone to MIP steel drive shafts all around just for the added strength. But with MIP you have to worry about there rolled pins coming out and then you have a situation where the power from the trans does not go anywhere. But the answer to your question, in my opinion/experience, is that you will be fine. I also upgraded to a steel spur gear and a hardened clutch bell.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
TMaxxDriver

thanks for your input there power... i too have steel spur and hardened clutch bell... i'm hoping everything works out OK, just gotta wait and see when i get the 3.3, and drop it in... but thanks again... i may upgrade CVD's sometime, but if i dont break anything, not going to replace it yet..
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM
newgst

I do agree that the 2.5r trans can handle the 3.3! On the other hand if you do choose to upgrade the tranny the shafts and gearing is more durable but at least the center driveshaft will need to be changed coming from the tranny if you buy one of those 3.3 foc trannys. they actually go pretty cheap on ebay and boast a much better brake setup!

edit: O i think the 3.3 also has different spur and slipper too!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
power454

All I know is that I torqued my front plastic drive shaft pretty quickly. I also, on the first trip with the MIP CVDs torques and almost broke the front CVD and bent my transmission output shaft pretty badly. How I did that without damaging any skid plate or anything else I don't know, becuase I have a rollcage with a plate that protects the trans as well as a plastic skid plate up front and nothing else got damaged. A couple of the guys on here was saying to stick with the Traxxas cvds and I may just do that even though MIP just sent me a free new front cvd and all the parts that match up with it. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 PM
jadedreality

Well I can tell you that I upgraded my 2.5 with the 3.3 engine and haven't had any problems yet and I tend to bash it alot. But I have gotten a lot of recommendations to upgrade the cvd and the gears in the tranny just to help handle the torque.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 PM
power454

the gears in the tranny should be fine unless they are warn. If you really want to upgrade the gears inside the trans you might as well go all metal but I do a lot of hard bashing and had no problems with the stock even the reverse gears are still ok and it's been over a year and a half of bashing.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:52 AM
ALL RIDER

Hey thanks for all the in put, we shall see.