Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Newbie in search of all necessary tools needed for ownership of nitro RC

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Newbie in search of all necessary tools needed for ownership of nitro RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
FOXXFERNO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in search of all necessary tools needed for ownership of nitro RC

Title says it all. I'm getting a REVO very soon and quite possibly a Jato or a 4trax and would like to know some of what you guys have in your toolboxes (pics would be cool too) just to be ahead of the game as far as being without not if but when something breaks. Pardon the vague question but what are the most often broken parts to replace? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
nitro stan

Default RE: Newbie in search of all necessary tools needed for ownership of nitro RC

a good (expensive) set of hex drivers, phillips head screw drives, tuning screw driver, nut drivers, a glow starter(yes the easy start lights the plug, but you will get tired of replacing blue wires) temp gauge. i like to keep a pencil torch with different size soldering tips and solder in mine just in case you rip out a RX antanna wire or the ez start wires break, and any spare parts you can get for your cars
Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
1FastGT

Default RE: Newbie in search of all necessary tools needed for ownership of nitro RC

An actual glow plug wrench is really handy too. And needle-nose pliers are something I always seem to be needing...
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
TMaxxDriver

i agree with all the things mentioned.. personally, i have a bit driver, that is hollow in the handle and can store extra bits, so i keep all the ones needed, plus one to fit the glow plug (very handy tool that i have)... extra glow plugs you might want... RPM arms is a good upgrade (stockers break easily)... replace the bulkheads to aluminum or plastic RPM... everything else already mentioned are good...

maybe a stand to work on your truck... i MADE mine out of a few 2x4s screwed together stacked 3 high, and about 1 1/2 feet long... maybe a magnetic tray/dish to keep screws and small pieces/parts... losing them really sucks!!! [:@]

other than that, good luck, and have FUN!!! [8D]
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
RainmanX

Rubber bands, CA glue, Xa cto knife, blue loctite, a small tube of grease, a small can of WD-40, small screw drivers, a set of diagonal cutters, de-bonder (remove ca glue), spur gears, glow plugs, body clips.

That's just a quick start.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 PM
TMaxxDriver

this little guy works wonderful for tuning... its a teeny tiny flat head screw driver...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12332.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1034888  
Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
TMaxxDriver

oh, by the way... get the Revo, AND the Jato!!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TMaxxDriver

oh, by the way... get the Revo, AND the Jato!!
I definitely second getting the revo and the jato!!! ohh yea....traxxas all the way!!! [8D]
Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 AM
power454

Craftsman makes a great set of hobby tools that includes small side cutters and different needle nose pliers that have saved me many times. An assortment of different size phillips head and hex head screws (stockpile as many as you can from the different accessories you get and don'tuse the screws from. A arm hinge pins because you will bend them quite often if you do a lot of bashing. Get a good set ofhex head screw drivers from your local hobby shop you will always need them. Hex head screws don't strip as easily as phillips heads do. Get the 4 way nut driver that works for the wheel lug nuts and glow plugs. Get the alignment tool wrench for the tie rod ends unless you have a good small wrench that will fit on them. I would use liquid wrench instead of wd40 because it's a better lubricant. Buy a good size tube of blue Loctite because almost every screw needs it. Find a good rubber mat to work on that will be big enough for the truck and tools and what ever parts you are working on because if you get the carpet or floor dirty your wife will kill you!!. Try and find an exploded view for your entire truck broken down into different categories so that when something breaks you have a manual right there to help you put it back together correctly instead of just guessing/common sense. You can get that from www.traxxas.com. A small tackle box is good for keeping spare parts and tools. Keep a couple of 1 way bearings for your motor because they tend to go out every so often.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 AM
JLRevo

Go to any hardware store pick up 3mm, 2.5mm, 2mm and 1.5mm Long handle hex set for less than 9 dollars. Small flat head for tuning. This is what i'm using. I have the expensive stuff but the cheap stuff is just as good. Long handles are the way to go. The 1.5mm can be small.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
matts6887

i agree with all the things mentioned.. personally, i have a bit driver, that is hollow in the handle and can store extra bits, so i keep all the ones needed, plus one to fit the glow plug (very handy tool that i have)... extra glow plugs you might want... RPM arms is a good upgrade (stockers break easily)... replace the bulkheads to aluminum or plastic RPM... everything else already mentioned are good...

maybe a stand to work on your truck... i MADE mine out of a few 2x4s screwed together stacked 3 high, and about 1 1/2 feet long... maybe a magnetic tray/dish to keep screws and small pieces/parts... losing them really sucks!!! [:@]

other than that, good luck, and have FUN!!! [8D]
I agree definitely about having the magnetic tray/dish to put screws and such in so u dont lose them. I have one and it has definitely come in handy more than a handful of times!!! Same goes for the stand, although I don't have one I plan on making or getting on eventually....
Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

This is my stuff. I forgot to add the flight box I have. It has a starter a 12v batt a glow plug and a fuel tank for the heli. Also, In the bottom of the black tool box is two boxes...one is all heli parts and the other is all truck parts. I grab that and I am ready for the track or runway.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:46 PM
TMaxxDriver

I spy something orange, liquid substance.... YUP thats Byrons Gen2 I SPY!! Good choice there.. I tried to get that, but unfortunately my LHS don't carry it, so I got "Wildcat Eliminator" instead.. its red in color, and seems to run way better than that Traxxas Top Fuel junk I used to run!!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
t-maxxmaniac

byrons gen 2 is the best fuel i have ever run........go to any extreme to get it!!!! lol
Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 PM
RCCanuck

don't forget the zip ties and duct tape
Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM
TMaxxDriver

by 'duct tape' you mean 'west virginia chrome' right?!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
matts6887

What the heck is "West virginia chrome"? Is that just another name for duct tape?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 PM
t-maxxmaniac

[quote]ORIGINAL: matts6887

What the heck is "West virginia chrome"? Is that just another name for duct tape?
[/quote

ducktape to a redneck is like crome to a city boy duck tape could hold the world together ll
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

I spy something orange, liquid substance.... YUP thats Byrons Gen2 I SPY!! Good choice there.. I tried to get that, but unfortunately my LHS don't carry it, so I got "Wildcat Eliminator" instead.. its red in color, and seems to run way better than that Traxxas Top Fuel junk I used to run!!
LOL. Yeah I just recently started carrying Byrons in my store. It has started to go over well. That is the helicopter blend rite there in the pic. I have plenty of byrons to go around Come on over to NY.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM
TMaxxDriver

wow yeah, i need me some Byrons... and only have 1 LHS around here... and they DONT have it! GRRR... [:@]
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 PM
FOXXFERNO

Wow![:-] Thanks for all the replies and help!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM
TMaxxDriver

hey, thats what we are here for foxxferno!! you know where to come when you need help fixing that Revo, (if you got it yet) and the Jato!!