Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

after run oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 PM
danja mon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after run oil

How long, is too long without after run oil? Is WD40 good enough? and how often should you pull apart my engine for cleaning?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: after run oil

I'm not going to pull apart your engine for cleaning, you can though. Heehee

If the engine is not going to be used for longer than a day or two, you need to use After run oil. I made it a habit to always use it, even when I am going to be running the engine the next day. With the rate at which nitro absorbs water and the rate at which water causes corrosion kinda scares me. Just look at the brake rotors on a full size car after they've been sitting for a night, sometimes only a couple of hours, they are covered in rust.
I have used only WD-40 as an after run oil for years and I have never had a problem out of my engines. If you are too worried about them, you can always use Marvel Mystery Oil as an ARO, which can be found at the local auto parts store. Just use a couple drops and you should be good. It also works good as an air filter oil. You get like 32 oz for four bucks. I would only recommend pulling apart the engine if you are going to rebuild it, not just to clean it. That is what the WD-40 is for, it cleans the inside and removes any water so it ends corrosion while the engine is sitting around not getting used.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 AM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

You will get different views on this topic,but this is what I do.I run my nitro's at least everyother day during the summer so I don't bother with it.If you run it at least once a week I wouldn't worry about it,if it is not going to be used longer than a week I would use some after run oil for sure.Put a couple drops in carb,remove glow plug and add a couple drops turn over engine with the carb at full throttle replace filter and glow plug and your good.I have been in the hobby over 20 years and have never had a problem doing this.In the winter mine will sit for months with out use,I will pull the motor over every now and then to keep it lubed.I have had motors last up to 10 gallons so it works.I have used wd40 but the last trip to the lhs I bought after run oil and now use it.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the previous poster in that its a good idea to use actual after run oil in instead of wd40, in fact, I wouldnt even use wd40 at all. But like they said and I agree with, if u arent gonna be running for more than 1 week, I would put some after run oil in....
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I am just curious, not trying to argue or anything, is there a reason why you disagree with using WD-40? I've always used it and never had a problem, but if you know of some that have arisen I would like to know, so I can decide whether or not I want to continue using it.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 PM
dkastil

wd40 is ok aro is better but one thing you dont want to do is put aro down your carp it eats the o rings i know on some aro bottles it says to do it but it is not good for the o rings .