Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo will not move, engine winds high

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo will not move, engine winds high

My Revo is having a problem moving. When I give it throttle it doesn't move and the engine just winds up high. I already checked the Spur Gear and Slipper clutch, they are in good condition. Could it be the clutch shoes under the clutchbell? I removed the clutchbell to check the condtion and the shoes look fine to me and the spring is still there, its not broken. With it all put together should the clutchbell be able to spin freely or should there be friction? How can I tell if the clutch shoes are worn out?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
ChaosEngine

Default RE: Revo will not move, engine winds high

your flywheel needs to be tightend down
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
beachbrada

Oops, I meant to say clutch bell moves freely, flywheel is nice and tight. I changed the original post so it says clutchbell.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like ur clutch is toast man. Double check ur clutch shoes and spring, and yes it is normal if there is a very small amount of "play" in the clutch bell....usually a high winding sound indicates a clutch bell problem....
Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
DaveG55

If the flywheel is tight and the slipper is good and tight then it's either in the clutch shoes of something in the transmission itself. You should be able to localize the problem by starting the truck and applying a small amount of throttle. Just watch the spur gear. If it is moving (speeding up and slowing down) in response to the throttle input then the issue is either the slipper or in the tranny. If the spur does not move - or you can easily hold it with your finger - then the issue is the clutch shoes/springs/flywheel.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
beachbrada

Dave,

The spur gear does not move. So Im going to assume its the clutch shoes. When you say flywheel do you actually mean clutch bell? If not how do I check the flywheel?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
dkastil

when you put the clutch on your motor the flat big round thing is the flywheel it slipps over the collet and gets locked down with the clutch nut the thing ontop is the clutch bell and you want it to be able to spin free inside are the clutch shoes if they look good and the flywheel is tight and the spur looks good and the slipper is not verry loose this stinks but the next step is opening your trannie up and doing a full check of all the parts and gears .
Old 09-18-2008, 03:09 PM
beachbrada

ORIGINAL: dkastil

when you put the clutch on your motor the flat big round thing is the flywheel it slipps over the collet and gets locked down with the clutch nut the thing ontop is the clutch bell and you want it to be able to spin free inside are the clutch shoes if they look good and the flywheel is tight and the spur looks good and the slipper is not verry loose this stinks but the next step is opening your trannie up and doing a full check of all the parts and gears .

But how do you explain the spur gear not moving. I could see if the spur gear was spinning and the truck didn't move then it would be the tranny. But the engine rev's and it seems like the clutch shoes arent doing their job of engaging/putting pressure on the clutch bell which in turn would spin the spur gear. If I push the truck by hand the spur gear will spin. So Im guessing the tranny is working.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:23 PM
dkastil

then all it could be is a fryed pads or mby you broke the pins that hold the pads on the flywheel or thew came loose . and when you say the spur is not moving is the flywheel spinning or slipping you say it is tight so i guess not ,but still check it
Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
beachbrada

dkastil,
you got me thinking about the tranny so I just tore into it and sure enough a gear was stripped. Its either the foward or reverse gear, I can't figure out which one it is. But I still think the clutch shoes could be replaced, they look a little shiny as if they are worn out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
dkastil

now that is is apart you might as well get a forward only kit they are stronger and better ,or you can just ebay a whole new trannie for around 30 bucks and still rebuild your old trannie with a differnt ratio
Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
tominator06
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds like the flywheel collet to me. remove the clutchbell and shoes and make sure the flywheel nut it tight and the flywheel is tight with no play. If you tighten it and there is play you need a new collet/bushing.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: beachbrada

dkastil,
you got me thinking about the tranny so I just tore into it and sure enough a gear was stripped. Its either the foward or reverse gear, I can't figure out which one it is. But I still think the clutch shoes could be replaced, they look a little shiny as if they are worn out. Thanks for the advice.
This is kinda what I thought as well. I thought after what I posted above that could be either ur clutch, clutch shoes, or something in the trans, and unfortunately in ur case its in the trans(I say unfortunately because u had to tear the thing outta the truck and yank that sucker apart) but at least u know what caused it....good luck replacing it though man....
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 PM
ls1383z28

samething happend to mine i tightend up the spurgear and it almost does wheelies!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: beachbrada

dkastil,
Even if you have a stripped primary gear, your spur gear should still turn with throttle input. I will tell you its either the flywheel or the clutch shoes. You say your slipper clutch is tight, right?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM
beachbrada

Yah the slipper is good. I could do wheelies before this happened.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 AM
matts6887

have u tried replacing the clutch shoes and spring? Because I would definitely consider trying to replace those and seeing what happens when u go from there....because in addition to the stripped trans gear; it could very well be the shoes and spring that is shot....
Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: matts6887

have u tried replacing the clutch shoes and spring? Because I would definitely consider trying to replace those and seeing what happens when u go from there....because in addition to the stripped trans gear; it could very well be the shoes and spring that is shot....
I agree, replacing the clutch shoes is extremely cheap to do and has the biggest impact on performance. While you are at it check to make sure the flywheel is tight.