Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

TRX 3.3 Tuning / running problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
clshades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX 3.3 Tuning / running problems

Righto... well i know i saw a post in here about this but i cant find it anywhere. I've had a bugger of a time tuning my engine to idle and run like it did when i 1st got it. I remember seeing a post about the bearings in the motor and i may just have the same problem but I'm not sure. I noticed an excess of fuel coming out near the low speed needle when i held my finger over the exhaust. It was spitting out actually.... The car will fire up... but will not idle for long and when it does start to actually run for more than a few seconds it idle is so high the car just goes without me applying any throttle. When i do give it the gas it runs for a bit then sputters like its being flooded and then dies. Lots of hesitation when i give it full throttle.

It's been pretty frustrating to say the least... It seems like the more i run this thing the worse it gets for reliability. I'd be happy to put a more reliable motor in it if it's a 3.3 problem however i'd don't mind trying to fix it if possible.

Thanks again.

-Deano
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TRX 3.3 Tuning / running problems

Well, it is quite possible it COULD and i mean COULD be the bearings that are on their way out.....however; first i would try richening the low speed needle to try and bring the idle down a bit; if after u have done that, I might want to consider tearing that sucker apart and examining the internals to see if anything looks out of place...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
clshades

Yeh... I reckon i should just tear it apart.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 PM
matts6887

Well before u go bothering to tear it apart, I would first try richening the low speed needle to see if it brings the idle down any. Then AFTER doing that IF it doesnt come down, then go from there....
Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM
clshades

Ok... i've finally figured out my tuning for the most part... i don't think my bearings are wrecked yet however... and heres the kicker. I cannot tune with my highspeed needle. If i run with it all the way closed it cuts out at full throttle. If I open it fuel begins to spill out everywhere. So i'm wondering. IS the brass peice that is connected to the carb supposed to move or is it supposed to be stationary. The reason i ask is the whole needle moves not just the black part where you can either use a screwdriver or fingers.

I can tune it to run right but there is fuel spilling out along the chassis and it didn't used to do this before....

Thanks again from a newb.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:11 PM
clshades

Yep;... they aren't supposed to move together. whoops.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:11 PM
TMaxxDriver

yep, your HSN MIGHT be stripped... you can get a replacement, OR you can get a whole new carb... HSN being about $13, new carb being about $47...
Old 09-19-2008, 05:18 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: TMaxxDriver

yep, your HSN MIGHT be stripped... you can get a replacement, OR you can get a whole new carb... HSN being about $13, new carb being about $47...
tmd is right here; sounds like ur brass fuel nipple fitting is either stripped or not tightened down all the way....before u bother to go and buy a new one, try carefully tightening the brass fitting down and see if it don't tigthen up for ya....if not then I think its probably time to get a new fitting....