Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 AM
power454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear differential

I do mostly off road bashing and right now my rear axles are spooled together. Is it better to go with a standard differential with spider gears and all or should I keep the spool in there? My only issue with the spool is when I occassionally drive it onroad and it spins out all over the place. Although, the wheelies are so much easier to do! Let me know what you think I should do because i'm at that point where i'm upgrading/fixing the truck up for the last couple of runs before the cold weather sets in.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:01 AM
systemlord

Default RE: Rear differential

This is something you need to decide, do you want better handling only offroad? I would never even consider using a solid F/R axle, it limits your trucks handling capabilities. The standard differential with spider gears should give you more control of your monster truck, I like MT's that have good handling around corners or at the track.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:34 AM
power454

I would never lock my front axle together unless I was crawling. All I really do is offroad bashing and I never race because i'm not that great of a driver and I don't really know anyone that I can race with. There also isn't any tracks in the area that I know of. My truck handles pretty well for what it has on it. I don't have any problems with the way my truck handles except on road when I really hit the gas and then I expect it to be a little harder to control.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
rcdudegermy10

I'd go back to the differential, just beacuse I'd imagine that'd it make cornering so much better...stiffer springs, and a tighter slipper will help you still be able to pop wheelies on road too...
Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 PM
power454

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't made a decision just yet but I think once my new chassis shows up I will put my rear differential back in. Just for a little better onroad control.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
newgst

You should try using some high viscosity silicone oil so that you can get a little bit of both worlds
Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

...what is this "spool" that is being talked about and how can one lock a differential? Will an extremely high diff. fluid do it?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
newgst

a spool basically eliminates the spider gears making the car have equal turning wheels just like posi-traction. High weight silicone oil in your differenctial will add resistance to the spider gears reducing the torque unloading on the wheel with the least traction and having a similar effect as the spool except much more driveable!