Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Diff Spool For the MAXX

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:27 PM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Spool For the MAXX

I have a little problem with my diff cups. I have had my maxx for a couple years now and i just recently had to replace the stock diff cups from the screws breaking off in the cup. So i bought some Nova Rc aluminum diff cups and installed them. I know what i did wrong i was in to big of a hurry and didnt let the thread lock dry before i put the oil in the cup. So now the screws broke off in the diff cup again. I am currently in Iraq and if i was in the states it would be an easy fix cause i have drill bits that small but out here i dont. I bought some diff lock spools and was wondering how they actually go in the differential cause if they still need the diff cup i am in between a rock and a hard place lol. If anyone has these on there truck and know how they install i would greatly appreciate a little help or if i need to order the parts that i will need to put these in. Thanks again
Old 09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
StemTMAXX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Diff Spool For the MAXX

I have the Traxxas Spool in the Rear of my T-MAXX and love it, it replaces the diff cup, the ring gear just bolts to it, eliminating the spider gears and diff cup. make sure to put lock tight on it and every once and a while check the gear bolts to make sure there tight.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
T-MAXXRich

One more question can i put diff spools in the front and rear if i wanted to or is that not a good idea.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 PM
StemTMAXX

I wanted to do that too, but I asked my LHS owner who im friends with and he said it prolly wouldnt be a good idea b/c there wouldnt be any give in the drivetrain and it would put a lot of strain nd stress on the tranny gears.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:21 PM
T-MAXXRich

Well i geuss i will just have to put a new diff cup in the front unless i can find a small enough drill bit out here. Yeah that would not be a good thing for me cause i just put in the RR steel tranny gears and i wouldnt want to mess those up. Thanks for the help Stem
Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
StemTMAXX

not a problem, I owed ya haha. how do you like those gears? I threw around the idea of putting steel tranny gears, i've had to replace mine like 3 times b/c of stripped gears.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:40 PM
T-MAXXRich

Man i love them havent had one problem with them yet. The only thing is they add a little weight to the tranny lol. I also put the RR steel spur gear and clutch bell on. As long as you get the spur to mesh you are golden. And they have the stock range or mid range. I got the mid range set and it seems fast then it use to. But other then that they are awesome.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
StemTMAXX

sweet, what kind of grease/lube do you use on the steel gears?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 AM
power454

I have a rear spool in my tmaxx and love it. As for spooling the front you would lose steering. What used to be a 3 point turn would now be more like a 33 point turn. It's just like locking the front axles on a normal 4x4 and trying to make any kind of tight turn. It just doesn't work! But you should be able to transplant the rear diff gears to the front. or just go 2 wheel drive for now.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 AM
T-MAXXRich

Stem
the actually come with the grease already in the box. I know that it is black grease. After running for a while out here in Iraq i actually used regular grease that the army uses and it doesnt get warm like i thought it would. Power454 that is what i thought would happen if i tried to put a spool in the front of the truck. Well thanks for the help.