Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Which throttle servo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Panzer Werker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which throttle servo?

Well, I've had my first Nitro truck (a Revo 3.3) for about 1 gallon of fuel now. So far I've replaced the slipper clutch shoes and now I've apparently burned out the throttle servo. I've read about the too strong of a return spring issue and intend to fix that. The question is: as long as I'm replacing the servo, should I get something different? Should I go for the digital, waterproof Traxxas 2075 or is there something else I should consider?

PS: What else will fail next so I can pick it up while I'm allready at the LHS?! [:@]

Thanks, Eric
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
choppaholix

Default RE: Which throttle servo?

The 358z servo by airtronics' is the one i use couse it has good torque for your brakes and fast speed for your throttle responce
Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM
ajb1205

I am using a Hitec 645 right now. It isn't the quickest but it gets the job done. I would probably get something like the 965 (133oz/.10sec) when it is time.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 PM
JB COMP

I use a spektrum/JR Z590 in my truggy, its good and cheap or the Ace 1313 is a good servo I hear.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 PM
gmcman

+1 on the 94358 Airtronics...will flip my maxx on it's nose [8D]

I would stay away from the digitals for the throttle....really no need since the analogs are cheaper, and this Airtronics is way more than enough power.

You have to make sure you set up your endpoints so that the servo isn't straining at full brake or full throttle, obviously there will be tension with the brake, but set the endpoints right at where the servo stops moving and make sure you have fuel tubing against the brake lever to give the servo a cushion...helps tame the brakes also.

Digitals are more sensitive to being worked hard at their endpoints.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Mspeed

I went through 2 traxxas and one aftermarket throttle servos before i finially decided to throw out that return spring. I must of adjusted the carb angle and made sure the endpoints were set more times than i can count after the first one died. I am sure some of the top end servos will not burn out as fast, but I would ditch that spring asap. I actually got mine from the hardware store, cut and bent it to work. Never had a throttle servo go bad again. Make sure you put a electronic fail safe in since your going to lose your mechanical one. The weaker spring just cant pull the throttle closed if you lose signal.

Just so you know, my last throttle servo I burned out, was a run away at full throttle. Getting rid of the spring was a no brainer. If im going to have a run away with the mechanical strong spring as a fail safe, then why go through the trouble of having that servo killer.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Mspeed

sorry double post
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Panzer Werker

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

I went through 2 traxxas and one aftermarket throttle servos before i finially decided to throw out that return spring. I must of adjusted the carb angle and made sure the endpoints were set more times than i can count after the first one died. I am sure some of the top end servos will not burn out as fast, but I would ditch that spring asap. I actually got mine from the hardware store, cut and bent it to work. Never had a throttle servo go bad again. Make sure you put a electronic fail safe in since your going to lose your mechanical one. The weaker spring just cant pull the throttle closed if you lose signal.

Just so you know, my last throttle servo I burned out, was a run away at full throttle. Getting rid of the spring was a no brainer. If im going to have a run away with the mechanical strong spring as a fail safe, then why go through the trouble of having that servo killer.
Thanks, I did exactly that last night - I bought a weaker spring from the hardware store and cut / bent it to the right length to close the throttle. I ended up just buying another Traxxas servo as that's what my LHS had. I'll add the failsafe as well............
Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 AM
ajb1205

The Tekno throttle linkage is a great upgrade.

http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...roducts_id=926

I burnt out my first 645 because of the return spring (which Hitec warrantied) . With this setup it is super smooth and, as I am running a failsafe, I am not using a return spring at all.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Mspeed

+1 on the Tekno. I never liked the throttle servo linkage setup on the revo. Too much strain on the carb with the angle it pulls at. If I had to do it all over, I would just go Tekno, but putting that weaker spring in fixed my problem totally. You just need to make sure your carb angle is set right for it to be smooth.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Panzer Werker

ORIGINAL: ajb1205

The Tekno throttle linkage is a great upgrade.

http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...roducts_id=926

I burnt out my first 645 because of the return spring (which Hitec warrantied) . With this setup it is super smooth and, as I am running a failsafe, I am not using a return spring at all.
Thanks, you guys sold me on the Tekno linkage.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 AM
gmcman

Another thing on return springs, they don't need to snap the throttle shut, just need to overpower the idle servo. If it takes a second or two to close it then at least it closes and saves wear on the servo.