Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Which Picco BB is the best fit for Revo

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Picco BB is the best fit for Revo

Which Picco BB engine is the best fit for a Revo? I have seen a lot of good posts about these engines and want to try one. Who makes the best BB kit for these engines and what are the problems you encountered during installation / operation?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:59 PM
davidaxper

Default RE: Which Picco BB is the best fit for Revo

here is a good example

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9028582/tm.htm
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
ArloRogers

Thanks, nice looking truck. Now that you have had some run time what would you do different?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
ArloRogers

Where are all the PICCO fans? I quess I will go with the .26 Red Dot due to ease of installation unless someone out there can make a case for the .28.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Revy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picco .26 maxx is a great motor. The red dot is supposedly better. I ran the .26 maxx until I wanted a true BB.

If you get the .26 maxx/ red dot, fyi ,the exhaust port gasket is a .21 size. The stock one leaked after a few runs. I got a .26 gasket but was too big, my LHS is over an hour away so that suct, lol.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
davidaxper

ORIGINAL: ArloRogers

Thanks, nice looking truck. Now that you have had some run time what would you do different?
Nothing =) except maybe get different tires. These savage flux tires are to soft, and dont handle well at high speeds
Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
supertib

If you want something extremely powerful and fast then get a modified Picco 28..... I have them in stock ! however I am unsure how well the Revo can handle such a powerful engine......But if it does hold your truck will be a missile !
Old 11-12-2009, 11:39 AM
ArloRogers

I am runing an all steel drive train with a RB 523 now without issues. Can you provide Description, specs, and pricing?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
fabrimacator21

Picco p3 .28 FTW!.

I run one in my maxx and I could not be happier. Just make sure your drivetrain is up to the task because that motor WILL expose any weak spots.

To give you an idea of the power... My truck rarely pulls wheelies. I have it set up not to, but on asphalt it will actually spin the tires instead of wheelying. When it does catch enough traction it's on it's back before you can even react. I can stand 10ft behind it and get blasted with asphalt dust.

Seal the picco up right and it's VERY hard to beat. To my knowledge theres nothing more powerful in a pull start platform.

GREAT MOTOR.

I wouldn't recommend a modded picco .28 p3. You'll spend more time working on it then running it. Stock they are right on the edge of too much for the traxxas drivetrain even if it's all steel.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
supertib

I am runing an all steel drive train with a RB 523 now without issues. Can you provide Description, specs, and pricing?

$285.00 for a modified P3 28..... extremely powerful and fast.... Likely too much power for your truck......but isn't that half the fun ? the stock Picco 28 is strong, but the modified is on a whole different level......
Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: supertib

$285.00 for a modified P3 28..... extremely powerful and fast.... Likely too much power for your truck......but isn't that half the fun ? the stock Picco 28 is strong, but the modified is on a whole different level......
I'd have to agree....
Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Revy

I love the P3, but he wants one that fits...I think the dot has a revo mount available.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 PM
fabrimacator21

It'll fit.... just gonna take a little tweaking.

Check out absolutemayhem's thread on his ninja BB revo.

I think there's a few more people who have put a picco p3 .28 in revo's too.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: supertib

I'd have to agree....

It would make the truck severely overpowered..... But in todays day and age there is nothing wrong with being overpowered LOL ! I mean every other vehicle these days is Brushless/Lipo , so being overpowered is what many people seem to want................ In terms of nitro power my modified Picco 28 is beast , and as a bonus it will likely run better and tune easier and use less fuel then it would if it was left stock.... If you want a king Kong engine then the modified Picco 28 is the ticket...

However if someone wanted IMO a better option I would put in a modified Picco P7R EVO3 .21...... Its an absolute beast of a .21, has massive bottom end ( more then most sport 28's) , and has a great midrange and ringing top end.... The powerband would work very well in this application and the final performance would be outright fantastic......It has tons of power and RPM but wont be so brutal on the drivetrain like the 28 would be.....
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 PM
fabrimacator21

I just remember someone ("DAVE" something) saying that he kept blowing out RRP tranny gears in his revo with a drag modded p3 .28.

For me a stock p3 is just right. Massive power but a modified drivetrain can handle it. When drag modded I don't think the traxxas drivetrain can take it.

It's been a long time since I saw the charts on the p7 but isn't up over 2hp stock?

That WOULD be a great motor for a revo....

as far as I can remember it's an onroad engine which means a smaller cooling head though.

I still say go with a stock picco p3 .28.

I'm very impressed with it and theres tons of people who feel the same way. The X-dyno charts don't lie.[8D]

Old 11-13-2009, 12:59 AM
devious1
My Feedback: (15)

You can not go wrong with a red dot revo as well it is still a monstrous wheelie monster even when hitting second gear if tuned right...
Old 11-13-2009, 02:31 PM
driller2948

I run a supertib clockworked .28 P3. In a MGT this things weighs 14lbs. It's no wheelie machine. I don’t get enough traction, spins the wheels on pavement, asphalt and in the grass. But when it does it’s on its roof. This engine is a beast. Before it was modded I thought it was great. Modded holy crap!

Drive train issues none. I run an 8.0 transmission forward only and shimmed diff’s. The truck is an original .21 diff’s are too.

The modded P3 is much easier to tune than pre-modded and holds a tune. I do very little tuning any more, plug & play baby!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24870.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1313501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82642.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1313502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70019.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1313503  
Old 11-13-2009, 02:45 PM
supertib

I just remember someone (''DAVE'' something) saying that he kept blowing out RRP tranny gears in his revo with a drag modded p3 .28.

For me a stock p3 is just right. Massive power but a modified drivetrain can handle it. When drag modded I don't think the traxxas drivetrain can take it.

It's been a long time since I saw the charts on the p7 but isn't up over 2hp stock?

That WOULD be a great motor for a revo....

as far as I can remember it's an onroad engine which means a smaller cooling head though.

I still say go with a stock picco p3 .28.

I'm very impressed with it and theres tons of people who feel the same way. The X-dyno charts don't lie.[8D]

P7 is offroad .21....... not quite as much peak torque as a .28, but much broader powerband and a much higher peak RPM...side by side against a stock P3 28 the modified .21 will rip its doors off and likely cause less drivetrain issues.....The .21 will also last longer, tune easier and use less fuel.......
Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 PM
STANG FEVER

if all out power is what you want, compare specs on the LRP Z.28 Spec 3. it's cheaper and faster than the picco. but it's not a direct drop in like the picco 26. i have both engines, both are very fast. but the LRP is cheaper and insane. go on youtube and check for videos of revos with both the lrp and picco.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 PM
absolutemayhem

the picco .26 is a good motor but not as powerful as a true bb with a side pipe....the picco .28 is a power motor from what i hear, but some will say it a little short on the top end, but most engine modders can fix that....i choose a race tuned .28..it has massive low end and seemingly endless top end. the picco on the other hand was made as a stomp puller...but when fabrimactor say it wont make his tmaxx wheelie im shocked. my ninja would make that things do backflips...but just check out youtube and you will see it quite a powerfull motor that cant be beat for the money...it you got extra cash i would suggest the OS .28XZ...i plan on buying one just to campair it to my NINJA .28...the os should have more low end then the ninja....will see...
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: absolutemayhem

the picco .26 is a good motor but not as powerful as a true bb with a side pipe....the picco .28 is a power motor from what i hear, but some will say it a little short on the top end, but most engine modders can fix that....i choose a race tuned .28..it has massive low end and seemingly endless top end. the picco on the other hand was made as a stomp puller...but when fabrimactor say it wont make his tmaxx wheelie im shocked. my ninja would make that things do backflips...but just check out youtube and you will see it quite a powerfull motor that cant be beat for the money...it you got extra cash i would suggest the OS .28XZ...i plan on buying one just to campair it to my NINJA .28...the os should have more low end then the ninja....will see...

Dude.................. Don't mistake it not wheelying for lack of power......... I'm saying it spins the wheels instead of pulling wheelies on asphalt.[8D] PLENTY of low end.[X(]

I can stand 20ft behind it on asphalt and get blasted by dust and pebbles from it burning out. When it does catch (usually right before second gear) it's on it's lid faster then the blink of an eye. That has more to do with my tire choice (proline mashers) then power. I can't say it's short on top end either.... it's just plain impressive anywhere in the rpm band.

The picco is a monster..... so is the ninja. I like the picco because it's cheap. You'll have to seal it but IMHO there's nothing better in a pullstart stock. Check out the savage forum to see what people think of the picco .28 p3. You'll be hard pressed to find a angry owner. Stock for stock the picco is just about the baddest out there. The O.S. xz .28 is king but it's only bumpstart and it's BARELY more powerful then the picco. Matter of fact the picco has a little more bottom end and the O.S. has a little more top end. They are VERY close on a dyno. The ninja is probably damn close if not equal but I think it's more pricey.

You can't go wrong with either but I have a bias towards the picco.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:11 PM
absolutemayhem

Dude.................. Don't mistake it not wheelying for lack of power......... I'm saying it spins the wheels instead of pulling wheelies on asphalt.[8D] PLENTY of low end.[X(]

I can stand 20ft behind it on asphalt and get blasted by dust and pebbles from it burning out. When it does catch (usually right before second gear) it's on it's lid faster then the blink of an eye. That has more to do with my tire choice (proline mashers) then power. I can't say it's short on top end either.... it's just plain impressive anywhere in the rpm band.

The picco is a monster..... so is the ninja. I like the picco because it's cheap. You'll have to seal it but IMHO there's nothing better in a pullstart stock. Check out the savage forum to see what people think of the picco .28 p3. You'll be hard pressed to find a angry owner. Stock for stock the picco is just about the baddest out there. The O.S. xz .28 is king but it's only bumpstart and it's BARELY more powerful then the picco. Matter of fact the picco has a little more bottom end and the O.S. has a little more top end. They are VERY close on a dyno. The ninja is probably damn close if not equal but I think it's more pricey.

yeah, like i said the picco is hard to beat for the money. especillay if you can only use a pullstart or roto start. but for us revo guys, we have a lot more options. i only suggest re 28xz because it has it power shifted further in the rpm band (witch i prefer) and the quility of the parts is top notch.....i would suggest a GRP .28 (best .28) but they are no loger made due to the factory buring down[sm=cry_smile.gif]

picco 28 is the way to go if you looking for mad power with out costing you and arm and a leg

Old 12-07-2009, 03:21 AM
fabrimacator21

yeah, like i said the picco is hard to beat for the money. especillay if you can only use a pullstart or roto start. but for us revo guys, we have a lot more options. i only suggest re 28xz because it has it power shifted further in the rpm band (witch i prefer) and the quility of the parts is top notch.....i would suggest a GRP .28 (best .28) but they are no loger made due to the factory buring down[sm=cry_smile.gif]

picco 28 is the way to go if you looking for mad power with out costing you and arm and a leg

I don't think it's any easier for revo guys to go bumpstart then is for tmaxx guys.... both require new chassis to make bump start motors possible AFAIK.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: STANG FEVER

if all out power is what you want, compare specs on the LRP Z.28 Spec 3. it's cheaper and faster than the picco. but it's not a direct drop in like the picco 26. i have both engines, both are very fast. but the LRP is cheaper and insane. go on youtube and check for videos of revos with both the lrp and picco.

the LRP 28 is kind of a dog next to a Picco 28.....not even really close....LRP = sport motor. Picco = race motor///Picco beats LRP from bottom to top...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:14 AM
supertib

I have all 3 engines in question...Ninja 28, OS 28 and Picco 28

Ninja is the lowest powered of the 3, but IMO has the best powerband for racing..it is smooth and has a good top end..Not as powerful as the Picco or OS it feels more like a strong .21.......... OS 28 is all around pretty stout, not quite as much top end as the Ninja but it has more torque and more overall power....... Picco has more torque then both the OS and the Ninja, but in stock form doesn't have quite the peak RPM...in top speed tests in Truggy the Picco hits 49 MPH, the OS hits 50 MPH and the Ninja hits 51 MPH....barely noticeable unless your using a radar gun..........However when driving them the Picco feels the most powerful due to its torque, and the fact you in its torque band every minute your driving, the only advantage in terms of power the Ninja has is about 2 more MPH on top end.....

My modified JPX 21 will chew the butt off all 3 of these stock 28's !!!!!! not a single one has anywhere near the top end of the modified 21's......

Picco's new JLR 28 has been altered to have more top end, larger boost port, larger exhaust port and higher timing !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.