Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

HELP - What Battery for Modded E-Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:50 AM
NateDiggity33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - What Battery for Modded E-Maxx

Hi All,
I'm new to the hobby and bought a used E-Maxx (2 months old) on eBay. It was a dual motor brushed truck that has been modified to have the 3500 brushless velineon motor and esc.
The max voltage looks to be 11.1.
I am so confused by allthe different types of batteries.
I looked at 9.6 10 cells batteries which I thought would work well, I could even run two parrallel I guess.
Then I looked at the lipos which I could do either the 7.2 or 11.1v batteries, also could run these in parrallel I guess.
Then there is the Life 9.9 I think it is, or the 6.6v batteries, which I could also run in parrallel for longer run times.
Any suggestions for a good fit for the e-maxx when it comes to weight, run time, speed?
Not sure how fast these batteries will make it, also not sure how fast I want it to go as I am afraid to fast could be a problem as well.
Also, what charger would be cheap yet good for the batteries.
Thanks for any help!
Nate
Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Redvanmafia

Default RE: HELP - What Battery for Modded E-Maxx

a vxl in a e-maxx isnt going to be to impressive, the motor is to small to push around that big truck, if you throw alot of voltage at it to make up for it, it'll just overheat, you need a motor under 3000kv and larger
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
NateDiggity33

The motor is already installed.

Also, checking out E-maxx's on YouTube with the same setup show some impressive results. I've messaged about 4 or 5 people with this setup and all have no problems overheating.

Thanks for the opinion though.

Nate
Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's well known that a single VXL system is not suited for an E-Maxx. It will drive, but don't be surprised if your electronics start to croak. That said, as far as batteries go any good 3s lipo would be what you're looking for.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 PM
NateDiggity33

When you say it is well know, are you talking from personal experience?

Reason I ask, is before buying this was a concern for me. So I seeked out many owners running the setup. Each and everyone of them have exp. great speed and some had been running for over a year. Three owners personally checked temps and checked speed, all with excellent results. The velineon has huge amounts of tourque from what I see so far with the nimh batteris I am currently using. I am AMAZED AT THE SPEED i AM GETTING FROM ONE 8 CELL. I can't wait to go to the 3s as you suggested. The life battery was something I am very intriged by and wonder why you think a 3s would be better then the 9.9v life, is it because of the extra voltage?

Thanks for the sugg. on battery that is what I was trying to find out. I had heard people saying that the 3s was way to much power for off roading with this setup and the truck would be hard to control. Thanks for confirming that a 3s is NOT to much power for this setup.

Thanks you for answering my question as I have already done a tone of research into the motor and esc working in the e-maxx.

Nate
Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I bought my ERevo off ebay with a VXL setup, I ran it with a cheap 3s lipo and it was great..
not massive speed but ran very well.. I cannot remember what pinion I used?
It now has a Medusa 3680 motor with the MMM esc, and well .... it's nuts!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM
NateDiggity33

Ahhh, thank you for your input. THIS is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered up a couple turnigy 3s's. I am not looking for the fastest truck out there. I just want something fun to run around with my son's e-revo 1 16.

Top speed of 40 or 45 is plenty for me. The one guy I was talking to was getting upwards of 50, not sure of gearing either. But it makes me feel good to hear that 3s is not too nutz and runs good.

THANKS!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: NateDiggity33

Ahhh, thank you for your input. THIS is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered up a couple turnigy 3s's. I am not looking for the fastest truck out there. I just want something fun to run around with my son's e-revo 1 16.

Top speed of 40 or 45 is plenty for me. The one guy I was talking to was getting upwards of 50, not sure of gearing either. But it makes me feel good to hear that 3s is not too nutz and runs good.

THANKS!
Awesome!
I think my speeds were upper 30s?
I do think that if I geared my revo to go mid 40s or more with the single VXL it would have heated up way to much for my likes
good luck