RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Monster Truck forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/)
-   -   Picco 26 Max....the DARK SIDE.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/traxxas-monster-truck-forum-251/4013044-picco-26-max-dark-side.html)

TNTJake 03-14-2006 06:36 PM

RE: Picco 26 Max....the DARK SIDE....

Thats what I'll do.:D[8D]

Thanks!

JSRacer 03-20-2006 06:21 PM

Hey Kliff, I had the Picco 26 ordered and waiting for me at my LHS and I changed my mind. I'm gonna have to go with the OS 18TM. My buddy has a Picco 26 and it just seems to be way too much power for the REVO. I like the OS reliability although I'm sure the Picco isn't far off. I should have the OS by the end of the week. I guess I got scared of the dark! :(

beelzebubishere 03-20-2006 06:47 PM

The OS ain't no slouch! Still a good choice man......you're gonna like it.....but you'll be back....the Dark Side will still beckon.....haaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaahhaaahhhhhhhhaaa[sm=punching.gif]

stevensj 03-20-2006 07:27 PM

does a mach .26 count as "the dark side"..it's almost identical specs as the picco....;)[>:]

beelzebubishere 03-20-2006 07:46 PM

"....almost identical....." still ain't quiet the same man.....sorry...... Ofna Picco 26 Max.....BLACK Max, that is....is kinda an exclusive club....if you know what I mean.......the side DARK a place where power and torque discused they are, but even more enjoyed.

ORIGINAL: stevensj

does a mach .26 count as "the dark side"..it's almost identical specs as the picco....;)[>:]

JSRacer 03-20-2006 08:05 PM

Well Kliff, my buddy has the Picco 26 in his REVO and I don't wanna be like everyone else! You have an OS 18 don't ya? What to expect from it? Any comparison on top end with the Picco? I know he'll probably spank my off the start. I'm trying to lighten my REVO as much as possible but nothin crazy. That Picco is much bigger than the OS isn't it? I think my stocker 2.5R heard I was retiring it and decided to impress me. Lately it's been blowin my mind with new found power. I'm in the dark on that one. [8D]

beelzebubishere 03-20-2006 08:43 PM

Is it blowing you away with power, or are your skills improving so that you can use the power?

There is honestly no way I can compare the OS and Picco, even tho I own both. They are in 2 ENTIRELY different trucks.

Initial gearing, tranny gearing, C/D on the racer, lighter by about 1.5lbs on the racer, different shocks, springs, pre-loads, tires, wheels.....there is NO way to compare them......

I'm not "dissin' " you, for changing your mind, please don't think that....I like the power torque and speed of the Picco for bashing....I like the instantaneous acceleration of the OS for the racer.......

Either engine, you'll be happy with, and maybe one day 'll take both engines and run comparison tests, in one truck.....but for now, I'm just having too much fun!

JSRacer 03-20-2006 10:14 PM

This 2.5R is impressive lately. My driving and/or tuning experience can't be the factor. She's either jealous of the OS18 on the way or the LST2 on the way. :) This thing has come alive! Now, all this has taken place the last few days and I ran really hard yesterday so I'll have to clean her up tomorrow and run her again and let ya know if she's still running like she's shootin' blood down her leg wonderin' when the next paycheck will be here. Speaking of PMS, I told my wife she needs to get some video so you all believe me Kliff about this 2.5R......We have a digital cam Nikon Coolpix that is basically a cheap video camera with sound and I hope I can capture a few holeshot wheelies in the cul-da-sac. Now I know 2.5R can wheelie but I don't read much about it on here. [X(]

ncbasher 03-21-2006 06:10 AM

Great thread guys, just when i needed it. Im looking at the Picco myself. Kliff those mods ur talking about doing are they to the stock exhaust or what? I would want to get an aftermarket pipe for this engine if i get it. I've been looking on Tower and they have a CVEC pipe that looks pretty cool. It says its for big block REVO's. Problem is, i have no experience with any pipes on anything this is my first nitro. Its a Revo by the way. Also, i know i dont want the trinity. Thanks guys.

beelzebubishere 03-21-2006 08:04 AM

Modify the stock pipe, it IS mpressive! More details of ppe, break-in, 30%nitro usage, etc, here...
http://nitroobsession.proboards79.co...ead=1141951711
Hope that helps ya out.

ORIGINAL: ncbasher

Great thread guys, just when i needed it. Im looking at the Picco myself. Kliff those mods ur talking about doing are they to the stock exhaust or what? I would want to get an aftermarket pipe for this engine if i get it. I've been looking on Tower and they have a CVEC pipe that looks pretty cool. It says its for big block REVO's. Problem is, i have no experience with any pipes on anything this is my first nitro. Its a Revo by the way. Also, i know i dont want the trinity. Thanks guys.

ncbasher 03-21-2006 09:02 AM

Thanks Kliff. Do you run standard glow plugs? Also, when you say shorten the header at the bell, do you mean just cut off the bell or just trim it. Will the MS filter fit right onto the stock snorkel?

beelzebubishere 03-21-2006 09:21 AM

Cut the bell off, that will give you the 5/16 you are looking for.
No, the MS is not a plug n play on the stock snorkle. Remove the OEM filter cannister from the snorkle.....see that BIG hole, well you gotta duplicte that big hole on the MS cannister where the spigot now sticks out. 5-10 minutes with a dremel. Be sure you GLUE the snokle and MS togther as the houing on the MS is thnner than the OEM, it will not fit as well, but a litte Zap-a-dap-a-goo willl take care of that. BE CERTAIN all oil is removed from both peices, before gluing.
MC59 > 20% nitro
MC9 > 30% nitro

Thanks Kliff. Do you run standard glow plugs? Also, when you say shorten the header at the bell, do you mean just cut off the bell or just trim it. Will the MS filter fit right onto the stock snorkel?

ncbasher 03-21-2006 11:08 AM

Kliff you are the man! You're a BIG help! I'm much more confident with the Picco now. I was gonna go with the RB just because of it being a complete kit. For some reason i kind-of had my mind set on the Picco. One more question, so do you think it would even be worth getting an aftermarket pipe for it? Thanks again.

beelzebubishere 03-21-2006 11:48 AM

I keep telling myself, "....there's more power there....change the pipe..." BUT WHY? It's a great combo like this, not to mention CHEAP, with a 16/38 CB/spur combo, controllable, with insane speed.....
I might try something different later, If I do, it'll be a THS.....but don't expect anything any time soon.....I like it, like it is.

Kliff you are the man! You're a BIG help! I'm much more confident with the Picco now. I was gonna go with the RB just because of it being a complete kit. For some reason i kind-of had my mind set on the Picco. One more question, so do you think it would even be worth getting an aftermarket pipe for it? Thanks again.

piccorevo 03-22-2006 02:34 PM

sorry not posted in a bit guys been busy working to get a MX bike this year putting in about a 60 hour week.
will get the new pics of the revo tomorrow when i got my new camera as cracked my last one after jumping out the way of revo.

kliff love being a member of the club we will have to get our own website next lol

trouling 03-23-2006 12:55 AM

I'm on the Dark Side but thinking of turning Black and Silver. That's right, looking for a new cooling head. Still dialing my rig with mods. Only ones I have is:

Phanton Revo Works Racing Pipe
Motor Saver Air Filter
Integy Allow Hex Wheel Hubs
Thinking of: new cooling head and forward only conversion.

I'm running on the rich side to keep temps from crossing 250. It's only 40+ plus outside so I'm wondering what I'll due when it's 80+. I realize my fuel is a factor running only 20% nitro and 18% castrol lube. I prefer the conservative.

Does anybody have experience with how much an over sized cooling head helps?
http://www.acncm.com/picco26.html

Any recommendations on a good cooling head or needed mods is appreciated.

jasonx9 03-23-2006 06:41 PM

ya know what kliff forget the rb herd some bads things and the o.S. tm to small i want a big block that i really dont have to mess with the tunning on and still have it run like hell and wheelie we the quickness i think that the picco .26max just might be it

lebda 04-03-2006 12:10 AM

Yes!! I am now part of the dark side. Just broke her in today. AMAZING power; flipped it straight on it's back with half throttle. I will be tuning tomarrow. Any recomendations on a good tune with this motor? Also, what temp is optimal? And, can I go to 30% nitro with the original head and all? I have the 16/36 gearing as this was the only combo that meshed right with no adjustments available.

By the way, I put the CVEC pipe on for the Revos with .21 and up size motor. Seems to be great. Sounds mean (loud). I have the EZ start, but am probably going roto-start (too many issues).

GO PICCO!!!!

ncbasher 04-03-2006 06:06 AM

hey lebda, im glad to see you got that new engine. I want one too! Im still researching though. My question is, are you running the stock header with that CVEC pipe? If so was there any probs mating them up? It sounds like you have the set up that ive been thinking of getting myself. Is that engine capable of wheelies while already going 10 mph plus, or is it just right off the line? I know thats a cheesy question but i want a wheelie monster!, without a bb kit and all if possible. Thanks

beelzebubishere 04-03-2006 07:02 AM

30% nitro.....you, but you need to add a head gsket......there ar severral different ones......where'd I put tha part number.....check here, I know I wrote it down there....
http://nitroobsession.proboards79.co...i?board=engine getting old is pure hell sometmes....where' my coffeee.?.?

ORIGINAL: lebda

Yes!! I am now part of the dark side. Just broke her in today. AMAZING power; flipped it straight on it's back with half throttle. I will be tuning tomarrow. Any recomendations on a good tune with this motor? Also, what temp is optimal? And, can I go to 30% nitro with the original head and all? I have the 16/36 gearing as this was the only combo that meshed right with no adjustments available.

By the way, I put the CVEC pipe on for the Revos with .21 and up size motor. Seems to be great. Sounds mean (loud). I have the EZ start, but am probably going roto-start (too many issues).

GO PICCO!!!!

beelzebubishere 04-03-2006 07:07 AM

Modified OEM header, and modified OEM pipe, I'm getting wheelies from a standing stop, and just about anywhere in between 0-20mph on grass, dirt,open feild running.....pavement is just ridiculous....

hey lebda, im glad to see you got that new engine. I want one too! Im still researching though. My question is, are you running the stock header with that CVEC pipe? If so was there any probs mating them up? It sounds like you have the set up that ive been thinking of getting myself. Is that engine capable of wheelies while already going 10 mph plus, or is it just right off the line? I know thats a cheesy question but i want a wheelie monster!, without a bb kit and all if possible. Thanks

ncbasher 04-03-2006 08:44 AM

Hey kliff thanks for the quick info as usual. I've seen ur post on the use of 30% nitro but do u actually use it in your engine. Right now im running traxxas 33% on the 2.5R but i like Odonnell's alot. I was thinking of running the Odonnell's 20% on the Picco. Is the power difference worth adding the gasket? Honestly, I could not tell much difference when i switched from Odonnell's 20 to traxxas 33%, and i did re-tune. I think the Odonnell's is a higher quality fuel, but thats just my opinion. I feel like i can get great performance with that fuel w/o the gasket. Although i have heard that the needles are finiky and that gasket will help with that so IDK!? Can you tell im having a hard time deciding. Geez! I've just got so much crap for these RC's laying around that i dont use that i shouldnt have bought, but it was because i purchased with out researching enough. When i upgrade my engine. I really want to be completely satisfied. Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks

beelzebubishere 04-03-2006 09:12 AM

I can't say whether there is an increase or not on the Picco, going from 20-30%, as 30% is all it's had in it. Does it NEED the extra head gasket with 30%? IMHO, yes. Under certain conditions without it, detonation could occur and temps sky rocket INSTANTLY. With the extra gasket, it is the easiest engine to tune I've ever had, and holds that tune! 240-255F, depending on usage, track; off and on throttle= lower temps, WOT feild play=the higher 255F. The engine on 30% with the extra gasket is a DREAM come true. Remember too, I'm using HELI 30%= 30% nitro, 18% oil, 52% methanol.......

Uhh, and YES, I burn 30% heli fuel in all my glo engines.

Hey kliff thanks for the quick info as usual. I've seen ur post on the use of 30% nitro but do u actually use it in your engine. Right now im running traxxas 33% on the 2.5R but i like Odonnell's alot. I was thinking of running the Odonnell's 20% on the Picco. Is the power difference worth adding the gasket? Honestly, I could not tell much difference when i switched from Odonnell's 20 to traxxas 33%, and i did re-tune. I think the Odonnell's is a higher quality fuel, but thats just my opinion. I feel like i can get great performance with that fuel w/o the gasket. Although i have heard that the needles are finiky and that gasket will help with that so IDK!? Can you tell im having a hard time deciding. Geez! I've just got so much crap for these RC's laying around that i dont use that i shouldnt have bought, but it was because i purchased with out researching enough. When i upgrade my engine. I really want to be completely satisfied. Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks

stevensj 04-03-2006 09:33 AM

alright, well, im not part of the darkside, but i have a .21 BB conversion with the mach .26 (that's not it, almost nothing is stock, look in my gallery) and i went against a t maxx yesterday with a picco .26 (the cooling head was silver tho??). Seemed about the same, don't think either or was faster, mine had a bit more top end, but im runnin a 23t clutch bell, he was runnin an 18t...he didn't have a BB conversion tho, didn't know it was possible to do this? guess he just bought BB engine mount? His t maxx was nearly stock other than the picco and steel spur/clutch bell and jeep body. Just thought i would share....never ran my t maxx against another BB so it was fun, we didn't "race" just bashed a bit, but i was proud of my mach, he couldn't pull away even with his 18t. I want to put my 18t on and see if it lifts the front tires easier (w/good traction it will already flip with 1/2 throttle). I don't think i'll like the 18t tho, because with my 23t, i wrap the gas a little bit, just tappin it here and there when im puttin around and it lifts the front end, and if i am turnin, and i go to work into a power slide, it will wheelie over backwards, lol. I gotta put the revo wheels/tires (havn't put em on yet) on it and see how it is.

lebda 04-03-2006 10:49 AM

ncbasher: The CVEC pipe mounts perfectly to the stock header with the provided rubber cupler. And of course the stock header mounts directly to the Picco Max .26. I stretched the blue rubber exhaust tip extension thingy over the end of the CVEC tip to point the exhaust to the ground. If I didn't it would be a bit messy. I have all aluminum parts so I like to keep it clean.

About the wheelies, during break in I was smoothly accelerating to stop at half throttle only and at about 15 mph it litterally flipped completely upside-down and slid 20 ft on it's top. It reminds me exactely of my R1 1000cc superbike. The first gear is absolutely useless if you reach full throttle as it will flip over. Just as it shifts I can be at full throttle and when it does, the front tires come off the ground, but it won't wheelie over.......YET. I still have to tune it because I just was finishing the break-in.

I hope that answers your questions. I will try to post after tuning.

By the way...this motor takes forever to warm up. I have to let it idle for about 2-3 full minutes before I can take the glow warmer out to keep it running. But the only other motor I have experience with is the .15....YUCK.

Gasket sealer on carb....no leaks.

Will get extra head gasket regardless of nitro choice....thanks kliff.