Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

VQ P-61 CONTRUCTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:41 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: VQ P-61 CONTRUCTION

Flew three twins over the weekend.
Flew the easiest first ; the P-61.
One engine was not going to full throttle from idle and the low end had to be richened by a half a turn counter clock wise.
I got two flights on the p-61 and the B-25.
The VQ P-38 was flown twice.
The first time went well.
The second time, there was a strong wind on the down side.
She would go too fast on the down leg so I'd throttle back and then back up on the near leg.
On final landing, I throttled back on the down leg and then more on the final turn.
I did a longer than usual approach on the final turn so she was pretty far out.
I throttled down too much and didn't realize it until she snapped rolled at about 30' up and a couple hundred yards out.
Throttled up but that just got her to the crash site faster.
You can see the tail of her in the picture(before the crash!).
There's no room for error on P-38's: those alligators are just waiting to bite ya' in the butt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53282.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	287867  
Old 06-21-2005, 12:48 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sam:

Very sorry to hear that sir.

Hope it can be repaired, but from 30 feet? A lot of time, money, and skilled effort gone otherwise.

If you end up putting a new one together there's a good thread here about the plane - a fellow named Parfitt led us through doing his. Haw.

Again, sorry.

Bill.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:07 PM
samparfitt

The good news is it takes up much less space now!

ps: I see we can now load 10 pics per reply now.

Name:	Wt59170.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	287930  
Old 06-21-2005, 07:01 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the loss Samparfitt.... I did not realize you feel that the P-61 is easier to fly than the P-38....
so is that your official order in easiest to most difficult b/c of the snap?
P-82, P-61. B-25 then P-38??
easiest------------>most diffucult?
I am at the P-82 stage.... Working on an 80" OV-10..thinking of a B-25....
Old 06-21-2005, 07:06 PM
William Robison

Please note: The B-25 is also known as one that can bite quickly.

Bill.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, Sam.

I tried to think of things to make you feel better:

1) Philosophy- My friend RV Man told me "You aren't a real P-38 pilot unless you've had a spectacular crash."
2) Cold Realism- P-38 crashes always make us feel stupid, 'cause they result from mistakes that we make on the ground and in the air. You have to remember that these mistakes we get away with on other planes, but not P-38's. They're born to be heartbreakers, and they make you pay dearly for every minor gaffe.
3) Epidemiology: That's the reason you never see many 38's flying. It's the same as rare lethal diseases: everybody avoids them 'cause they're so lethal, and you don't last long if you do get them.
4) Commiseration: I include a picture of the remains of my VQ-38 after its 10th flight. It happened in front of a crowd (including TwinMan) at the Omaha meet a year ago. I think I did a better job of annihilation than you did, plus this picture is a lot less scattered than the actual crash site.
5) B-r-o-t-h-e-r-h-o-o-d of the P-38...unfortunately, the risk and pain of loss is the essence of belonging. Keep the faith.

Sorry,

mt

Name:	Jh15809.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	288144  
Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
samparfitt

Kram,
That is good philosophy.

Nemesis4u:
The F-82 is the easiest to fly (about 60 flights on her).
I have to agree on the B-25 flying difficulties: those wings taper fast (like the P-38).
One other important factor though was weight: My B-25 wing load isn't bad: the P-38's is high.
We all know light planes are easier to fly and much more forgiving on stupid moves.
A club member has a bronco and they seem to be real good flyers.

Order of ease: F-82, P-61, B-25, P-38, and last 'really expensive planes'.
If we didn't fly em', we'd be admitting that we have the b@lls of a chipmunk.
I've also got the VQ A-26 and she's probably a little easier than the B-25.

A club member has a 6.5' tigercat that he said he would be selling to me when he decides to part with it.
Mike of VQ was talking about making one but no word on that yet.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:31 AM
William Robison

Sam:

Re the F7F Tigercat. Cedar Hobbies has one under development, it's supposed to be a 40-46 size plane.

Bill.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:35 PM
samparfitt

Bill,
Didn't see anything on their web site.

A testimonial to flying the F-82 versus the P-38.
Engine went out just past the runway on a final lap
and was able to take her all the way around and bring her in with only the wire retracts bent back an inch.

Just ordered a P-38 from KMP.
Next shipment in 6 weeks.
Got the silver one.
Another pilot has one and she is very light so flying should be much easier.
I may epoxy up my old one and just hang it from the ceiling for show (can put those B-25 retracts in her!).
Old 06-23-2005, 07:46 PM
William Robison

Sam:

The F7F ARF from Cedar Hobbies isn't that far along, it will be a while before it is on the web site. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. The drawings just went off to the builder about three weeks ago, I'm hoping to have a prototype to show off at our Multi-Madness Meet the second weekend of September.

The Cedar Hobbies B-17 ARF is just about ready to go. You might want one of them until you can get the F7F.

The B-17 is a semi-scale plane, a lot of short cuts have been taken for ease of assembly. It could be made scale if you wanted to, but in the air you can't tell the difference anyway.

Bill.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:45 PM
samparfitt

15 flights on the P-61.
No engine adjustment but the elevator needed a few clicks.
Another pilot said with the 92 degree heat, the rods may be expanding:
I imagine it's pretty hot in those booms under a black finish!
I've been taking an old white sheet out to cover her when she's not flying.

The F-82 was fine in the pits but one engine kept quitting while taxi'ing to the runway.
Needed just a 1/16 more turn lean on the low end to fix that.
I should have done this when I first got her but I finally added another receiver in the other boom.
This sure makes assembly at the field so much easier: from 16 wires to 3.

Being on my third TF P-51 ARF, the tail wheels are the perfect match for the F-82 mains.
The heat must have been too much for the old wheels and the plane was going sideways on the runway.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:25 AM
samparfitt

Flap update.
One of the hinges broke on the flap side.

First picture:
I drilled a hole in the center of each part of the broken half of the hinge,
put a piece of steel rod in the two holes to hold the hinge together,
and AC'ed it.
(since the flap goes 100 degrees, you can get a drill to each side without having to take the flap off the wing)

Second picture:
I then put epoxy with microballs on the part of the hinge that protrudes out to give it some more strength.

PS: a warbird flyin at TORKS (South of Columbus) this Saturday (7-23-05).
I plan on bringing my P-61, B-25, F-82 and skyraider.

Name:	Wu61050.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	298524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21966.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	298525  
Old 07-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

SamP,

Did the hinge break in flight or was it a "hanger accident"?

I'm following your reports with great interest. Keep them coming!

Progress on my 'Widow has been painfully slow but steady. I have the wing assembly and main fuse pod finished, and I am just getting started on the booms now. One of my engines is broken in and ready to go, and I am going to start flying the second engine next time at the field. Covering my ARC has gone relatively quickly, but all the trim detail and setup work is another matter. I just catch time whenever I can and keep on plugging at it.

Maybe in a couple of months...

Walt

By the way, my plane shipped with all the ARF covering panels (black version) but I am not using them. If anyone needs panels for "repair" work let me know.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:33 PM
samparfitt

Walt,
I'm guessing in flight since I have wing bags for the outer wings.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 AM
nemesis4u

Just spoke with TWINMAN today and said that his Maiden Flights this morning went well..He is running 2 SuperTigre 91's inverted.. This is his personal P-61... Hey twinman..can you post some more details and pics of your Personal Black WIdow?? I am sure everyone would like to know from you how it REally went..hheeehehehe
Old 07-25-2005, 10:49 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

STILL SHAKING from maden flight 7-24-2005. I love my club at Bayou City Fliers, but what a bunch of vultures!!! 15 people taking bets and putting grid marks on the field to claim parts based upon a lottery!!!
The ST 90's are pulling Master Airscrew 13x7 three blades. Job really slowed down the building process, but it was ready...OK, so the landing gear doors are not on, but I was tired of waiting!! The VQ P-38 was a heart pounding blast last weekend, so this weekend is the P-61.
OK, so I was not into scale take off for the first flight. Three people involved for the vertical test...three times. This is a big plane!
One guy holding it on the field at full power and with a deep breath, I signaled the release. Our field is 600 feet long of asphalt and I took over one half of it for maximum speed and aero control at lift off.
It does not lift off itself, but required a bit of up, but not much. Very smooth and needed two clicks of left aileron. Extremely stable verses any P-38 I have flown. It feels heavy, but the wing loading is much lighter than the P-38....as I found out later. First flight...chicken...landing gear down all the time...much to complaints of crowd. Ever notice a TUNNEL VISION effect on a first flight???
OK so I did roll it........mental note,,,25% down elevator as it goes inverted!!!! Much better second time and more stable altitude. A bit of rudder with ailerons on the roll makes it faster, but not too much. Those are big rudders. It will go to almost 45 degrees in level flight at full rudder deflection test.
I installed a mix to lower the elevator with flaps down,, this to compensate for ballon due to flaps...... approximately 1/3 inch....DON'T DO THAT!!!! Plane almost fell from the sky. Mental note,,,elevator is MUCH bigger than P-38's. Now at 1/8"!!!!!!...Heart rate now over 200 ( This is supposed to be a fun sport!!!). Later found out that no one in the peanut gallery was breathing at that time!!! Begged assistant to flip the flap switch back up while I stuggle with up elevator!!! Chest Hurts???? Do you think by assistant...SPIN MAN would take the controls........noooooo way man!!!
First flight,..Got to land....no takers to help!!! down flaps (Assistant)...up elevator...a bunch!!. Power to 1/4 from high approach....not coming down???? Power to 1/8...slow sink, but VERY controllable!! Touch down and good roll out..........no damage????!!!!
Heart rate dropping...30 minutes later. Peanut gallery in high gear........DO IT AGAIN!!!..Be a man...use the retracts!!! !$#^%$^ Bunch of worms!!!
Charge up the retracts. cycle five times...recharge the system. Two more vertical tests....hold it...full power...let it go!!!
Very smooth take off and climb out. Very smooth flight characteristics. Low pass...cool....yeah OK the gear is coming up..Back up high,,gear up...no flight change at all??? No, I am not going to loop it!!!!!...Yet!
Gear down...No change...This is cool. Heart no only 180 beats per minute...!$#@$% got to land again...High altitude...flaps down...less down elevator...much better!!
Approach is almost floaty compared to P-38's and I have owned five and two now!!! Landing on no bounce and greased out. Heart now 120 beats. Two flights in one day is enough!!!
Later,
Twinman
Old 07-25-2005, 11:02 PM
nemesis4u

TwinMan..Just got in ... Picked up my VQ P-61 today!! YIPEE... now my wife said its her turn to spend some "Hobby Money"/....hehehee
oh well..live and let live...
This thing is even better looking in real life... WOW...I am excited.. How many P-61s are in the Texas Area I wonder???? Be cool to have them all at a weekend get together.. >.Hey we should organize one of those MULTI-Engine Meets in Texas....and invite the world..and while we are at it we can see how many P-61's, P-38's, and B-25's show up... be pretty cool..
Ok I have got to go put my P-61 together now..Just a mock-up but I have to....see ya later..
hey TWINMAN..we got to meet one weekend and fly.. Can make it to Bomber or even Scobee..let me know..
Old 08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
donddsms
My Feedback: (1)

I'm trying to decide on engines for my VQ P-61. The most reliable engines I've had so far are O.S. 70 four strokers, so I'm thinking 4 stroke engines might be the way to go, also they should sound great. I'm thinking about getting RCV 90's. Anybody have any experience with those? Any advice?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:01 AM
samparfitt

Flight update:
20 flights and she's still lookin' good.
Had her at the TORK's warbird flyin but unable to fly her due to a fuel line leak.
Fortunately I was able to fix her by just removing the engine mount from the firewall and not having to remove the booms.
One line got a hole in it by rubbing on the hole in the firewall.
The brass tubing was right at the hole so I was easily able to enlarge the hole and then put new tubing on.
While I was in there I check both engines and mounts: the engine mounts were tight but the mounts to the firewall
needed a little tightening.
The cylinder heads also needed about a 1/16" tightening.
I have replaced the glows once so far: One of them was slowing when the battery was removed so I replaced both of them.
Retracts and oleos are holding up good.
The wheels are always flat on the bottom but it helps slow her down.
I've had my gear door hinges come loose a couple of times: ground crew must of not glued them very good!
My club, GCRCC, is having their yearly air show at the Butler county airport on Aug 13/14 ,
so she'll be flying then. I'll also have my B-25, TF GS P-51, skyraider, etc there.
Our WW II show is always a crowd pleaser: lots of planes flying, pyrotechnics and a simulated X-1 flight and Nagasaki bomb drop from a B-29.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

Sam you (and others) are increasing my confidence in the VQ design each time you post!

I have the first YS-110 mounted now. I was a little worried about how it would go because it is a big engine, but it fits just fine. It is mounted inverted and the head extends a bit outside the cowl but otherwise no problems. I took a dremel and shaved the firewall at the bottom a little for carb clearance, and this let me set the engine back far enough to meet the 4-11/16" mounting distance that VQ recommends. Since the firewall is already open at the bottom I had to remove very little wood to allow this.

A little closer to finished every week...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show us some pics of her. I have the olive drab version, I'm planning on adding invasion stripes. I have a pair of ys 110s, should haul her around pretty good. What retracts are you guys using?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Tony Pacini

Oops! 1.10s? I have a pair of YS 1.60s on the way. Will they be too big for this model? I want to swing scale diameter (16") 4-bladed props..........
Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU

YS 160's!!! And I actually thought you were pulling my leg when you were talking about 140's earlier in the year!

The YS 110's are tight- see my pics. I haven't started the second boom yet. I figure I will do them one at a time and learn from my mistakes on the first one. But so far, so good.

By shaving out clearance for the carb I was able to set the engine back so that distance from the firewall to the prop is per VQ specs.

I am running straight pipes. I will screw them on after the cowls are in place. A bit of a pain but I don't plan on pulling the cowls off very often. And I haven't had problems with the straight pipes coming loose like the mufflers, I guess because they hardly weigh anything. After I get the cowl permanently mounted I will probably cut a little more clearance around the head, but what I have is pretty close to what I will go with.

I had to shave the inner former so that I could move the tank all the way to the left (looking from the front) to get clearance for the throttle control rod. No problem. I've settled on Dubro 16 oz tanks. I don't want to run the supplied tanks with the pressurized YS fuel system and I've found that I actually can get up to 20 minutes run time on a 110 with a 16 oz tank. A 15 minute flight time is plenty for me.

I don't have thrust readings, but a YS110 will swing an APC 15x8 at almost 10,000 RPM running 30% heli. If two of these won't fly the plane then nothing will. And they will swing the 13.8x10 four-blades in the low 9000's and my 9 lb Extra goes like a bat out of h... with this combo. I am so confident the combo will work for the 'Widow that I already invested in custom-cut 4-blade spinners.

YS 160's... sounds to me like a dual purpose P-61... warbird fly-in one weekend and pylon racing the next. But seriously, if you think that you can make the big YS's fit, then go for it!!

Walt

Name:	Vt56467.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	305829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46695.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	305830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38767.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	305831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62329.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	305832  
Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Tony Pacini

Man oh man does that 4-blade prop look cool!

The 1.60 is roughly 1/2 inch longer than your 1.10 so it should be possible to squeeze it in there (plus it's only 6 ounces heavier). Yours looks like it fits quite nicely! How is your CG?

Although I've been an avid warbird racer for years I hadn't really planned on racing this one; too big, too costly, too slow. Our local rules have a 19-pound limit (wet) and I think this bird will easily exceed that. This one was purchased "just for fun". I've got plenty of more disposable planes to race with.

I'll be watching to see how your first flight goes!

Tony
Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 PM
nemesis4u

build-n-flyer-RCU,
Nice looking engines/4 blade props..It is gonna look AWESOME>>>!!!!! Cant wait to see what it looks like on the gear all assembled ready to go..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.