Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Multi Engine FIrst Build?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Multi Engine FIrst Build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 05:50 AM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi Engine FIrst Build?

Ok. Ive been over at the Scale RC Aircraft forum, but id thought id give this place a try. I am another one of those day dreamers who loves looking at planes, but doesnt get a good opportunity to build them. Say two projects a year (At, least i think im like that ) Anyway, i love multi-engine planes. I realized that when i was looking through an encyclopedia of aircraft, and only found myself remebering the nice twin engine planes. I also would like to build my first kit. I already found a plane thats almost too perfect for me. Oh and by the way, i think electric is better then glo for multi engine models, is that true? IT seems like it becuase the engines are more reliable. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=130712

If you go to the home page and look at this plane, supposadly its beginners build. Its a simple stick construction, and it doesnt cost much. What do you guys think?

BTW, its a twin otter for anyone that doesnt visit the link. I posted a thread on the Scale Forum about beignner scale planes in general, which gave me a good reason to think about, what i want to build. THis seems to be a nice plane, agree or disagree.

Skills:
Flying - Mastered Trainer for almost a year, had a chance to fly my instructors P-51 (World Models), best flying experience, it flies better then a trainer.
Building- RTF Trainer, ARF Glider
Repairing - Broken Rudder Fin, which i managed to fix. (My first repair)

And as always, if you have any planes to recommend that follow my criteria, go ahead. Im all eyes.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:07 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Multi Engine FIrst Build?

I responded to your first post.

Bill
Old 09-23-2005, 06:40 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone mentioned an Islander ARF twin in the scratch building forum that might fit your needs. It is a pretty airplane.

Bill
Old 09-23-2005, 01:15 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is going to be your first kit, keep the quality of the instructions in mind. With your RTF trainer and the ARF glider, you probably got a fairly complete set of instructions that took you through the assembly process. Depending on the kit, you can get anything from a set of "step-by-step instructions" to a very bare-bones "contruction guide", which says "... build the fuselage, build the wing, and put 'em together" without a lot of details.

Your other problem is that there aren't a huge number of commercially available kits for twins: NE-Aero and Cedar Hobbies have some sport models; Hobby Hangar has the Uravich 53" OV-10 Bronco (good kit, but not one I'd recommend for a first kit build). Tower used to have a Great Planes Profile P38 Lightning (Complete instructions, but Lightning's aren't reco'd as first twins). Wing Manufacturing has a short kit for an A26 and a P82 Twin Mustang. Your Twin Otter is an attractive airplane; if the supplier's instructions live up to their billing in the ad it might be a good choice. And if the time/money equation plays any part in the decision, the $120 TwinStar ARF merits consideration: it's not a kit, but you'd probably end up getting it in the air sooner.