Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

c-160 transall

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 PM
FHD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: c-160 transall

Bill,
thanks for the reply,i fly off a very short grass field,the grass height i means not the run way.
most of the info i have received is that i shouldnt have a problem but the element of doubt is always there.now if the snow stays away for a few days maybe i can get a test flight in.
take care
Frank
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
pilot727

jrf
I am using two os-32sx on my c-160 transall and on my twinstar i have two os-25fx would you use a larger engine on the c-160 i live in utah and the air is thin but the os-32 do a great job, do you think that i should put a larger engine on the c-160, rollie
Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 PM
FHD

rollie
the comments that i have seen here,the 32,s are doing a great job,but your altitute is a lot great than us guys in the mid western part of canada and the usa.
what is the weight of your 160?
if i had it to do it over again i would have bought the 32 size engines,hind site is usually right.
tc

Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
pilot727

jrf
I am not sure of how much it weighs i have no scales, my friend that used to help me darn it he moved, he was a master builder, i am trying and i do ok but when it comes to a plane like the cap 232 i just bought i had another friend build it and what a beautiful job he done, i would say the c-160 must weigh around 8 pounds and with the two 32's on it i can do the nicest loops with no problems and taking off is straight down the runway and it really gets right up there, i usually fly it for ten minutes and come down and still have plenty of fuel left, a few weeks ago on take off i lost an engine and it went into a spin i had just gotten in the air about 40 feet and it spun out of sight and landed in a swamp and hardly hurt anything, i took the wing off and got the engines running right off and i need to get two engine mounts i broke one when it hit the water, it must of landed on the wing and just lay flat and i got it right out, it is not great in a cross wind but other then that it is a great flying plane.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:44 PM
pilot727

I put two os-32sx engines on my c-160 and a 2700 battery in the front and it came out just right and flies great, does the nicest loops.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to be working well for you with the 32's. No reason to change.

Jim
Old 11-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I just started building mine. I put two Saito 30's in it. Since it's so late in the season here in the Northeast, I probably won't get to fly it until the spring. I''ll post pics soon.

Bob
Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 PM
pilot727

Bob
I too have a c-160 with two os-32sx for engines, you choice of the saitos is a good one, my plane flies so nice it handles so good even the loops are easy to do i just make sure that i slow down on the power after i get over the top, i lost an engine on take off bob and she went into a spin i was way to low to pull or and i had not the alt. or speed to do so, it landed in a creek and really did not much damage, only the front bolt had moved with the block still on it it must of went into the water or should i say the mud under the water as it must of hit wing first and then just lay down, all ready to go the very first thing i did is get any water out of the engines there were none and they started right up, when i lost the engine my first responce was to pull the throttle back to idle hoping it would catch on, before it went into the spin but she is in my closet again and the cloths are again out of there, i have a smaller closet for them, rollie
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

A couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84491.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	560463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61406.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	560464  
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 PM
pilot727

Meesh
The only thing i did not do is to put the cover over my engines, it may look nice but i like to be able to get at my engines and also i like them to get the air they so need, i bought the phoenix and it is all built and what i like most is the engines are in the open also i am using two ys-110's for power and i am also using hyde soft mounts the difference of a plane shaking or not, they are only 55 dollars each for the ys-110 and i am buying one at a time but she will be done next month i save for what i want rather then use what is second best, friends put there hands on my new cap w/ys-160DZ and wonder at all speeds where the vibration went to, unreal and so many people spend hundreds on there plane and will not spend a few bucks on the engine mount, if they truely knew what it done to the plane in many aspects they would surely have that mount on there airplane, i never used them before i learned just hoiw great they really are, they make a plane run better and last longer, i cannot afford these so i save and buy one at a time it was 130 dollars for my ys-160 but worth every penny
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM
GotSky

Meesh
I am also using twin Saito 30's . They are perfect for this plane mine are inverted as well and run flawlessly. I have close to 100 flights on mine with not 1 issue to date...Good luck
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
pilot727

gotsky
It is a nice flying airplane isn't it, i too love the way mine also fly's
Old 11-14-2006, 10:53 PM
GotSky

I agree, it flys so effortlessly and lands itself. Plus every time i take it to the field everyone gathers around. Even though they've all seen it 20 time before they still get a kick out of it. Plus it seems to be a really big hit with the spectators and kids... Nothing like twin smoke trails on a slow low pass down the tarmac
Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 PM
pilot727

GOTSKY
I had a problem with finding it in a certain position so i painted the leading edge and took the tanks out and sanded the nacell down and going to reglue some of the corners and also paint the engine box around buy the tank and it is a little better to see now, i used a red paint from the hobby store but i think where the plane is a creme and white color i should of used an orange paint or a different color but everyone is impresses at how it flies at out field as well, i have let a 13 year old fly mine once in the air and it was so easy for him to turn corners or to do a roll or loop and i then landed it, i used to be kind of hot landing with the c-160 and my twinstar w/two os-25fx engines on it but i have now slowed it down so much all of my landing were smooth but i wanted to improve them and many other things that i do i try and do like i was flying a real plane, that is what i live for is to be at the field soon as possible and i did get alot of time in this year specially with all them new engines that need to be broken in, i have yet to break in my new ys-110 that is going on my new phoenix soon as i get that other soft mount next month around the first, i was going to wait until my buddy said to me just think what that phoenix will do on the snow, i usually fly half to a little under or over i just like to fly, another thing the phoenix would do is to be great on floats i am willing to bet that it would be great on the water as well as the snow, the first time i flew on snow i was caught tight into a web of the different flying one plane can do, specially the slow and low flying on a field of snow covering it just like a blanket
Old 11-19-2006, 11:20 PM
lilfreedom

hey mike
i had a transall do your self a favor and before u do anything clean the plane real good and spray it with a good clear otherwise the glow fuel gets all over the the dam plane and it runs the paint . i had twin magnum's 30's with 3 bladed props on it was underpowered or over proped i couldnt find anything smaller then 9+6 but the plane flew great you will be impressed on how it flies . i personally go for the scale look but i would have to tell ya go 2 stroke with a standard prop. mount the engins inverted . good luck looking foward to read how your maiden flight went
phil
Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 PM
jlsmith54
My Feedback: (6)

I have been reading the reviews on the C-160 and looking at all the pictures. I would like to know is this a good quality kit. I am thinking about ordering one very soon here in the next couple of days. Thank you, jlsmith
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
FHD

howdy
i bought my C160 from AKModels as far as im concerned its a very good ARK kit.
i would suggest that when you looking for one,make sure the wing is not made of foam.
the one i have is made of balsa.
this way you could if you wanted to ,put larger fuel tanks in the fuse and use a smaller header tank behind the fire walls,you can fish the fuel and pressure lines through the wing spaces ,this is what i have done with mine.
i put LA 25,s in mine,but if i was to do it over again i would put a minimum of 30,s 2 stroke.
hope this helps
take care
Frank
Old 11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
FHD

howdy
sorry about the spelling it should have read ARF kit.
i was never very good at spelling,thank goodness for spell check
take care.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 AM
pilot727

Hey My good friend's
I just happen to have the engine and fuel tank covers for the c-160 that i am not going to use them, some planes i put them on, some i dont and the 160 im not going to use them so if is you i was talking to a while back if you want them you are welcome to them for spares if your interested in this please do let me know, they are free no charge , pay the shipping and they will be on there way, rollie
Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 AM
schwatd

Hey Rollie,

I'd sure like to have those nacells. I've got two C-160s and I'm sure I'm going to prang one soon enough. Let me know where to send the shipping and It will be on its way. Thanks

Troy

Calm Winds & Smooth Landings
Old 11-22-2006, 03:55 AM
pilot727

Troy
I just do not know about that troy, i dont see it that way, not today anyway's, what was it calm winds and smooth landings, ya right. I took my giles 202 UL out the other day, for its maiden flight it ran great, take off was swift and and used little runway before becomming airborn and the whole flight was great, i then slowed down to land, DEADSTICK but that did not bother me, it floats but not very far and i wanted to make sure i got over the fence and pulled up and landed with a light bounce, the second bounce it did not hit hard at all, and i heard that the landing gear would break on the smoothest landing with that plane, we ran a rod through from top to bottom no way is that going to break and it did not but the support of the landing gear did and the landing gear kind of just spread out flat, they made it so light that they did not beef up the places that really needed it so we put epoxy and fiberglass like a paste where needed and you can slam it tug on it or drop it and it is not going to do that again, it is a good thing that at rcu we had read about the landing gear itself and run a rod from top to bottom that just fit into the composite landing gear, what were they thinking, the reason for the engine quiting, the tank is in the center behind the cowl and landing gear and would not pull the fuel from there so we put a small tank up front but not close enough so now the smaller tank is all the way up front and it runs so nice at any speed and at any angle, for my friend it was an easy fix.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
schwatd

Ah, I ment me crashing, which I already did, got so impressed with my nice pretty glide slope I forgot to flare until I was about -2 feet AGL, crushed the main gear bulk heads and broke the nose gear bracket. To note though it skeded very nicely and came to rest upright. I think with about 10 hours of work all the damage will be repaired, well except for my ego and pride, thats down the toilet for sure. Oh and the wings flex so nice when they are stressed, if it wasn't such a stupid crash, like maybe a wheels up landing or some other problem it would have been very pretty. As it was I think I just stood there in disbelief for about 20 seconds. Ah well dumb thumbers unite!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:37 PM
pilot727

Yes sir, what a day today, at 11 pm last night my good friend finished fixing my giles 202 and today again i took it to the field to try another maiden flight and yes, i flew it all afternoon and it is so sweet and flies so smooth, i really hope that the weather is nice enough tomorrow to go to the field again and fly all day
Old 12-01-2006, 08:21 PM
DUFLID

Troy
What size and type engines are you using.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 PM
pilot727

Troy
Would you drop me a personal message i have not heard from you or recieved your letter, rollie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.