Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

c-160 transall

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c-160 transall

I have recently purchaced a c-160 transall and would like some ideas on what would be better a 2c or 4c and would a 2 3 or 4 bladed prop be best. i have never built a twin and any advise would be helpful. mike.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:25 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Default RE: c-160 transall

I am sure that some of the experts here will chime in with better answers, but I will give you my novice opinion anyways.

The nacelles are pretty tight for room as it is, so the 4C are somewhat of a challenge to fit. My first C160 had two OS 30 four cycles mounted inverted. They fit pretty well but you have to mount them inverted, so that can create issues in itself due to syphoning of the fuel unless you pay careful attention to where the tank is mounted. Again, because of the tight nacelles you are somewhat limited in where you mount the tank. I actually sold that plane without having ever flown it because a trade came up that I couldn't turn down. In retrospect, I wish I had at least flown it a few times before trading it away, but a NIB trade for a saito 300 Twin came up that I couldn't resist. That plane had 3 blade props on it. It had what seemed like alot of thrust when I ran it up on the ground.

That leads me to my second C160, which I currently have. This time, I am using thunder tiger 25 two cycles, also mounted inverted. I know alot of guys on this forum are mounting their 2 cycles sideways, but i decided to mount them inverted for a cleaner look. I hardly needed to cut away any of the nacelles, and it looks really nice. Mounting them inverted actually leaves the whole top and sides of the nacelles intact. All I had to trim were the nacelle engine hatch covers. On the downside, is the potential again for syphoning. Someone here may correct me if I am wrong, but I think 2C engines tend to have less syphoning problems that 4C engines. I have not flown this plane yet because it is the dead of winter up here in northern wisconsin. I am using two blade props on this one, and I do plan on flying it this summer.

I guess to answer your question, most guys that I have seen post here tend to use the 2 cycles on this plane because they are smaller, cheaper and seem to work good with this plane. In fact, if you do a search on this twin forum, you will probably find that most people are using inexpensive engines (such as the OS L.A or similar), and are very happy. Part of the reason I traded away my first C160 (besides getting a good trade) was that I was nervous to fly it. That was also my first twin, and I just couldn't see cracking her up with a pair of $350 engines on her. This time around, I don't really care about crashing as much because it only has a pair of $90 engines on her.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put the tank a little below the carb pipe level. OR Do not worry. The fuel drips OUT of the engine, not up into it. IT is impossible to flood a inverted engine. That is what makes people say they are hard to start. NO FUEL is going into the engine with finger primes and flips.

Flip the plane upside down and everybody starts it easy.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Overlander

I suggest you try something like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440792

-Todd
Old 02-25-2006, 12:57 AM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

I just purchased of these. I am going to use a pair 26 4 strokers. I am undecided how to mount these. Would like to go inverted but am a little concerned about reliability. Most of my experiences with inverted engines has not been good. Inverted would certainly look better but then losing an engine on a twin is not fun. This plane looks like it has a lot of potential and is really light for its size.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:03 PM
iwannafly

I've started building this model and have a question about some componets. I have two small diameter aluminum pieces about 1 1/2 inches long. They have a groove around one end. I thought they might be anti rotation pins for the wings but they do not fit the holes. Anybody have a clue what these are for? I also found that the supplied fuel tanks are too large for the shrouds to fit over them. Looks like I'll have to find some smaller tanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 PM
jmupilot

Do a search for the C-160, lots of us have built them. Its a nice flying plane, almost trainer like. Mine has 2 OS 25 LA's with APC 9x4 2 blade props for power and its plenty. I fly from a grass strip. I dont recall any aluminum pins in my kit , but its 2 yrs old. You love it.

Pete
Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 AM
sbaugz

Mine had those pins. I used them for the antirotation pins when I joined the wings. mine didn't fit either, so I drilled out the holes slightly larger so they would fit.
My fuel tanks fit fine inside the nacelles, so I am not sure why yours don't.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 PM
dougwill

jmupilot
In process of putting c-160 together. Was wondering if the os 25's were dependable and what can be expected if one quits? Also you mention a gyro in one of your other post. Could you explain the how, why, and where for gyro?

Doug
Old 03-08-2006, 06:06 PM
iwannafly

I haven't finished mine yet but this plane is designed pretty well and I expect the only time that the engine out will be a real problem is on take off. I fly a twin similiar to this one and after some altitude is gained it is not hard to continue flying with one engine out. Your engines should be a good choice if you have them broke in and have tuned them right. The people that are using the 2 stroke engine claim that they are actually over powered.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
jmupilot

I have not had a failure with the OS 25's LA yet. Both of them were well flown in combat floyds before I installed them in the C-160. So they were well broken in. One is about a year older than the other. I just set the hi speed needle on each one seperately so they are reliable. They are bushing motors so they are cheap, simple to maintain, and seem to have more than enough power. There are two C-160s flying in our club with the same engines. Rryman's has different props, I use APC 9x6's and I think Randy is using Master Airscrew 9x6's but they seem to fly the same. I think Randy tried 3 blades and found them inefficient and went back to 2 blade. The model is so light a good set of BB 20's would fly it form a paved strip.

As for the gyro, I fly heli's also, and had one sittng on the shelf. I installed it on the rudder, I have heard its really not needed as the C-160 handles engine out fairly well. Read that BIG rudder. Mine is set to counter any yaw from a engine failure, just to give me a little more time to react. But in anycase its best to throttle back and land if you have a flame-out as any twin is courting disaster by continuing to fly around just for kicks and grins. Not that it cant be done, but its a whole different ball game flying on one engine. Just ask any pilot that flys a light twin in the full scale world. It's do-able , but not fun.

Pete
Old 03-17-2006, 10:21 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Hi Guys:
Here are a couple of pic of my C-160, 2 K&B 20 sporsters swinging 9X4's. I've not flown it yet due to weather but having used this engine/prop combnitation on a number of planes I have no doubt they'll do fine.
Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67449.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	427733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27988.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	427734  
Old 03-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

acobra: Your Transall looks great! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
supertiger2004

well ive been flying mine and the wind has been a real problem latly but i just fly anyway. this plane seems to have a tail wiggle or wag, when there is a strong wind. has anyone else noticed this. i am thinking about putting a gyro on the rudder and see if it helps out with the wiggle. when i fly it with no wind it performs a lot like a trainer on landings just faster.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:47 PM
mikemiller8

i just bought a c-160 and i was wondering if you had any tips? what did the weight come out to? do those motors have enough power? i have 2 os 40la laying around and was thinking about putting them in. would there be enough room and would it weigh to much? also was wondering about wheel size, can you fly off grass? thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 09:26 PM
supertiger2004

Im not going to tell you not to use the LA 40s because you can put just about any engine on a plane if you riilly want it on there, but the LA 25s fit a little on the tight side already and have all the power you need for high speed flying and taxi around the runway, its not going to hover with the 25 but it plenty fast and pulls well on climb outs durring take offs and it also taxies on mowed grass feild just fine. On second thought i had to add some weight to the nose of mine to get it ballanced maby with the .40 you wont need any extra weight added but you can be shure your flights will be short since the fuel tanks are very small and the little .25 go threw it pritty fast too.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
jfail1
My Feedback: (2)

Where are you guys buying your C-160's ? I see that Giant Scale Planes and Raidentech has them but both of them have a lot of complaints that I have seen here on rcuniverse and other sites, excessive shipping costs from GSP (very excessive!) and poor service from Raidentech. I would like to buy from a reliable outfit. Also is the white one on Raidentech's website really all white or is that a modified white/gray one?

TIA

John
Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 AM
sbaugz

i purchased mine from AK models. Shipping was fast and very reasonable. The cost of the plane was $189, which is pretty good compared to other places I have seen it sold. Also, you may want to check out ebay. I see them selling for even less.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 AM
supertiger2004

Chief Aircraft,
Old 03-31-2006, 07:02 AM
sbaugz

Its $60 more at chief aircraft. ($249)
Its only $189 at AK models.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 PM
vmeek
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive got 2 of the transalls and Raidentech and AK Models and Nitro Models are the same company.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
iwannafly

I checked mine for CG today without the battery installed and it was very tail heavy. I thought my 4 strokes would help with the situation but it looks like I will need a large batt and some lead in the nose. I might change out the nose wheels. Is this pretty much what you flyers have found on yours?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:05 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine balanced with 2 600mah battery packs installed about halfway bwtween the wing saddle and the nose.
Randy
Old 04-10-2006, 08:07 PM
skillet92

I have read the posts that have been on the c-160 in a couple of treads and the one thing that everybody who has flown one says that .25 are more than enough. If that is the case can you go to 3 or 4 bladed props with a .25 or .30? I am going to start building mine and when i do i think that i want to put 3 or 4's on it.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 AM
scbullis

I just purchased one on E-Bay for $139 + $29 shipping--$168 total for a really nice plane![8D]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.