Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

c-160 transall

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 PM
FHD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: c-160 transall

howdy
i have the same built up wing and i think my situation is a little different than what you are doing.
first,if you look carfully at the incedence of the horizontal stabilizer you will see that it will give you the same as a down input on the stick which will cause it to dive.and it realy does.
if you sand down the rear portion of the fuse where the stab is fastened to make the stab more level or less positive incedence this will solve the dive problem.
i couldnt get what i wanted re the fuel tanks in the nacelles,so i put 2 oz header tanks in the nacelles and the supplied fuel tanks in the fuse, this gives me about 15 minutes of flying.
i also didnt glue the wing together,the outer wing panels are removeable,fits in the van easier.
i have OS la 25.s for power no problem and i fly off a grass field.
hope this helps.
take care
Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That figures, I already glued the stab on. I'll check the incidence this weekend and see how far off I am. What about CG? Did you follow the instructions? Thanks, Jerry.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:59 PM
FHD

jerry
welcome to the club,i always do some thing then ask for help.i did the same thing then figured it out.
what i did was just make sure that you "dont" have neutral on the elevator .have a small bit of up elevator and your trim in the nuetral postion,this way you can still use the trim to compensate for any diving tenances,hopefully,then adjust as reqiured.
when i fly a new a/plane i ALWAYS have a buddy with me to adjust the trims if needed,when i tell him,this way i can fly the a/plane and not worry about the trims
as far as the c/g, i used what the plans said and it worked for me.
take care
Old 05-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Bosco2
My Feedback: (42)

Hi,
I have a C160 that is almost redy to fly but I came accross with a problem the CG it need's about 8 oz in the nose and I do not know if this is normal for this model,

This is of the built up wing and yes the horizontal stab slot had to be redone for O incidence not to metion covering up all the hole in the landing gear compartment so that grass and sand would not fill up in the fuselarge this has to be the worse ARF in the market today,

But I was able to make it better to fly in the way that I built the model and I would like a little help with the CG of this plane, The manual says 64 to 68 mm or oprox 2.5 inches from LE it need's 8 oz in the nose to ballance if I have to do that it seems to me that if I place the waight on the bottom of the fuselarge that it would make the plane bottom hevy? What is your opinnion.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
schwatd

Bosco2

I think you'll find that depending upon which engines you use and where you place your reciever battery(s) you will or will not have to add nose weight. IE, OS Max 25 FXs weigh significantly more than OS Max 25 LAs, if you use an extension or psition wiring so your battery can be placed very near the nose gear you may need very little or no nose weight. Hope this helps. Frank (aka FHD) probably would have the best answers for you. Best of luck!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:30 AM
pilot727

Move your battery up front and you will have no more problems, i think i had a 2300 size battery, but it worked great, all these little things we move around really can make a big difference in your plane.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Bosco2

Many Thanks guy's,

I will move the battery to the nose and see what it does,

How does this bird land fast or slow? by the way I had added 6 oz to the plane by useing two OS 40 FS I fit them just fine with the nancil, It might be to much power?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:01 PM
FHD

howdy
did you get the reply re the "fix" for the elevator etc ?
i had to put in about the same weight as you mentioned,yes i fastened it to the bottum of the fuse.
i could have moved the battery to help with the weight and C/G but i like to be able to get at all the goodies to be able to fix or replace easily.
are you going to fly this a/plane scale like or do all the other stuff ?
as far as the location of the weight (fastened to the bottom of the fuse)i dont think it makes any difference in this model.
ive got a few ARFs and scratch builts and all the models i think are very good,but thats just my openion.
i used the suggested C/G location.
when it comes to finding the right spots to put your fingers to balance the a/plane i put a drop of glue on the underside of the wing,in the proper location,when this glue dries it will leave a little bump so you can feel it,its easier to balance this way,at least it is for me.
let me know how you make out.
take care
Old 05-28-2007, 01:48 AM
airborne00
My Feedback: (58)

i balance mine at 2.5 from le and move the battery to the front of the plane by the front wheel. plus in the very nose of the plane i had to put 1 1/4 oz of weight. i have la-25 with 1 3/4 aluminum spinners. so far so good. pictures later.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Bosco2

Well since I had made a hatch to cover the big hole of the nose geare, it will be very simple for me to install the battery there and check the CG at that point I may add a little more weight if needed.

Some thing else I tried for the first time on a model and it seem to work very well, I reglued all the plywood in the fuselarge using Hi Bound Liguid Nails it may sound strange but it works great,

I even used it on the two stabs as well and it very strong but it does take a few days for it to cure but it is well worth it, I just added the liquid nails to the existing glue that was there and I will tell you that the strenth is greate,

I hope that I can continual working on this plane this week and finish it for this comming weekend.

Thanks for all the suport.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 AM
FHD

hi
im very happy it works for you,looking forward to the pix.
take care
Old 05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
airborne00

HERE ARE THREE PICTURES OF MY C-160
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94807.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	693848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77102.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	693849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29818.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	693850  
Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM
FHD

great pixs you have given me a few ideas on the decals.
take care
Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Bosco2

Nice photos it looks great have you flown it yet? Youre work shop looks like mine LOL,

I did place the battery in the nose and it balance out right on the money that was great,

I will place all the decals on the plane tomorow and maybe Ill get to start the engines and tune them in,
If that goes well then she will be ready for flight,

Ill post some pictures tomorow if I can,
Old 05-29-2007, 10:12 PM
FHD

howdy
if you engines are new,never ran before, run them one at a time,for at least two tanks each.
run one then the other ,this allows one to cool down while your running the other one.
if im stepping on your toes ,im sorry.
best of luck.
take care
Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
airborne00

i have a JR 9303 transmitter with twin engine program functions. now if i can get the program to work. then i can test fly it.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 PM
FHD

i would think it would be a good idea to keep the first few flights very simple,nothing fancy.
just the four natural things,then you can play around with the other stuff later.
99% of my stuff is futaba txs with hitec flight packs.
i won the hanger 9,P51 trainer at a funfly last year it came with a JR radio,took all the training stuff off and i realy like it,if only i could install retracts in it with out to much trouble.
maybe some one will help me out on this.
best of luck.
take care
Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 PM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

airborne41-

I too have a 9303. I bought a twinsync unit and I love it. Takes all the guess work out of setting the engines up.

Mike
Old 05-31-2007, 07:11 PM
airborne00

yes i have the twinsyne on my cedar hobbies twin stick plane still trying to program it. but on my c-160 i don't have the twinsyne on it. my jr 9303 has a program for twin motors not yet got it work out.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

Hi,
I'm bidding for a WHITE transall and need advice asap.
- I have 2 OS 46AX, is this gonna be ok ? I probably won't need a nose weight.
- I see there are 2 wing types, one is foam and the other is balsa built up.
I'd like to get balsa one, how do I know that ?
- is the wing painted over covering or just white monokote ? I'm worried about paint chipping out like other CMP arfs.

THanks
Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM
jmupilot

For one thing the 40 size engines are way over kill for this aircraft. OS 25 LA's are more than enough. I fly mine at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and its really moves. I only use full pwer for takeaoff. I fly from a grass strip and have no prolem at all roating the nose and holding it there then as the Aircraft gains speed it just liftso off very nicely.. I also noticed that a loff of the guys are questioning the stab angle of incidence. Unles they haave chanaged the mold or have someone new cutting the slots Mine did not require a thing. When looking at it it does appear to have the trailing edges tilted down but I think its an iluusion. Mine requires no trim on the elevator that looks out iof place.

Pete
Old 06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

jmupilot ,
I have 2 os 46ax and I don't have any engine smaller than that.
My question is if it's gonna fly ok with these two oversized engines.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
airborne00

you maybe ok on balance and it will be over kill,but trying to get the cowling to fit maybe hard to do?maybe a lot of cuting.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:23 PM
dougwill

Hi! All
Has anyone tried electric instead of gas engines? With the power and weight reductions with Lipos this would be a great conversion. Where do you get the twinsync unit and what is cost?

Doug
Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody has seemed to update this thread in awhile so I thought I'd put my comments in. I bought this plane from a guy for a $100 because he could not figure out how to put it together. As you know there is no manual. This was a terrible ARF. The ply bulkheads in the fuse were basically tacked glued in. I ran fiberglass and expoxy around all the bulkheads. The nose wheel mounting holes were drilled 90 degrees off requiring new holes (which isn't easy to do inside the fuse). The nose wheel wire was so soft it had to be replaced. All the hardware was recycled tin cans and had to be thrown out. I can put a Giant Scale Yak together in a week no problem, this little thing took me three weeks.

I put twin OS25's on the bird and gave it a new paint job. I used the supplied wheels. I put a glow driver on via a 1.5volt Nicad in the nose (comes on low throttle).

This thing has been sitting in my basement all put together for a couple of months so last weekend I decided I'd take the time to maiden it. I figured I was in for a mess, it always seems planes fly similar to how they assemble. I could not believe my eyes when this bird headed straight as a arrow down the runway and just lifted off like a full scale requiring only a couple of clicks of up trim. I am amazed at how well this thing flys. The twin 25's are plenty of power even at 5K feet here in Colorado.

Overall a very nice flying machine, now if they could just do some quality control! Thanks, Jerry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.