Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Need Help On Programming Dual Throttle Control on Futaba 9C

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Need Help On Programming Dual Throttle Control on Futaba 9C

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help On Programming Dual Throttle Control on Futaba 9C

OK.........I'm really wanting to mix my throttles on my twins in my 9C. I've made a stab at it and got it about half right but I really need some help here. I went to Futaba FAQ's and they had one version which is a bit different than I understand it. I also looked in the instruction manual for the radio and it's very ambiguous. Also looked in the instruction manual for Top Flite's DC3 and it still leaves me in a quandry. No one at our field plays with twins and the one guy that tried just Y-harnessed his throttle servos. Here's what I've done.......I have the right throttle servo in channel 3, the left servo in channel 7. Now I want to mix them such that switch C on the radio functions so that right engine is used in the center/down position and the center position........then the left engine is used in the center/up position and up position.......that should give me both engines in center position, left in the up position and right in down position.........three mixes. Then I think I adjust the end travel individually for channel's 3 and 7.
Then I think I have to have a fourth mix for throttle cut to affect both channel's 3 and 7.

OK that's how I understand what I have to do. Anyone with programming experience for this function that would care to lend a hand.....it would be really appreciated.........the more verbose the better. If you would prefer to contact me via my email, it's [email protected].

I'm presently trying to set up a Twinstar with twin OS25LA's and right behind that is going to be a Dual Ace with twin ST45's.

Thanks to any and all help I can get,
Andy
Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Super Hot

Default RE: Need Help On Programming Dual Throttle Control on Futaba 9C

Hi Oldtyme

The best mix is "Throtle Needle" function with chanel 3 & 8.
Make shure the chanel 8 is null in "Auxilary-Chanel" program.
With "Throtle Needle" function, the "Throtle-Cut" is automatically programed on chanel 8, and you can use the "Thr-Needle Curve" for a perfect synchronisation of ch 8 engine with the ch 3 engine.
If you want control with sw g, use program mix 1, thr, thr, trim off, sw g, down, -100%, -100%, ofset 0%, and program mix 2, thr, aux2, link off, trim off, sw g, up, -100%, -100%, ofset 0%. but if the sw g is programed, you must use end point 3 & 8 to trim your idle,

Have good fly.

Jean-Jacques
Sorry for my english.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM
oldtyme

Jean-Jaques,

Would you mind sending an email and not using so many abbreviations? I really need this help.
Does it matter if I use switch g or c? Also, on the receiver that I have, it only goes to channel 7 which is why I'm using that one. Once again, my personal email is [email protected] and thanks so much for responding.

Andy
Old 03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Super Hot

Oldtyme

With 7 chanel receiver, you need made 6 or 7 mix.

1- make shure the chanel 7 is null in "Auxilary-Chanel" program.
2- Set throtle-cut : mix=on, rate=40%, sw=f, position=down. This mix stop engine on ch-3 when you flip the sw f
3- Prog-mix1 : mix=on, master=throtle, slave=throtle, link=off, trim=off, sw=c, posi=down, rate= -100%/-100%, offset=0%. This mix keep throtle ch 3 idle when the sw-c is down.
4- Prog-mix2 : mix=on, master=offset, slave=aux1 (ch7), link=off, sw=c, posi=up, rate=+75%. This mix keep throtle ch 7 (aux1) idle when the sw-c is up.
5- Prog-mix3 : mix=on, master=offset, slave=aux1 (ch7), link=off, sw=f, posi=down, rate=+40%. This mix stop engine on ch-7 when you flip the sw f.
6- Prog-mix4 : mix=on, master=throtle, slave=aux1 (ch7), link=off, trim=off, sw=c, posi=center & down, rate= +100%/+100%, offset=50%. This mix run throtle ch-7 (aux1) when the sw-c is center & down.

Note: You can not turn on the trim in program-mix4 because when you use the sw-c you will slower or raise the engine on ch-7. To trim the idle on ch-7, you must use the end point or made an other mix :
7- Prog-mix 5 : Mix=on, master=vrb, slave=aux1 (ch7), link=off, sw=c, posi=null, rate= +25%. This mix is the idle trim for engine on ch-7.

If you want synchronise your engine on ch-7 with engine on ch-3, you can made a throtle curve with the prog- mix6:
First - inhibit the program-mix4.
Second - Prog-mix6 : mix=on, master=throtle, slave=aux1 (ch7), link=off, sw=c, posi=center & down, 1= -100%, 2= -50%, 3= 0%, 4= +50%, 5= +100%. You will fine set the rate of throtle ch-7 to compare the rpm between the engine.

Have Good Fun

Jean-Jacques
Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 AM
oldtyme

Jean-Jaques,

Thanks so much for the info. I hope I get to try some of this by this weekend. Again, thanks..Andy
Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Milcent

Hello Oldtime,

i built a twin engine this winter. It is not a ward bird or something else, but a SPAD. Not very expensive to build and is running 2 OS46LA.
I also have a FF9 and was looking for a way as you to manage both engine on 2 ways. I followed exactly what is explained in the FAQ of the futaba web site ([link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q511.html]Twin engine FF9 configuration[/link].
I also was able to use an additional mix to have throttle cut for both engine with one switch.
And i still have 2 mix for flaps and a flap to elevator.

This radio is what i needed for all this stuff.
You can see my plane on a video here : [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/mvp/videolink.cfm?postid=3318]Twin DPS on RCUVideo[/link].

If you need any advise let me know, but i believe that Jean Jacques, de notre belle province, said also what you need to know.
Pierre.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
oldtyme

Milcent,

Thanks for the additional info. I have that instruction that you mentioned.......probably just
need to go back and compare it to what Jean-Jaques explained........thanks to you both.

Andy
Old 03-22-2007, 05:37 PM
oldtyme

Just bumping this to the top to see if there are anymore takers on advice.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 PM
oldtyme

Just bumping this up one more time.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM
bruce_c

Jean-Jacques
what a very good idea to use the throttle-needle mix

I had just done the mix described in the futaba FAQ, with the 2nd throttle on a 5point curve too - but this used several mixes to acomplish (along with extra ones for cut)

Using the preset thro-needle mix is so much simpler and still retains the fine tuning of a 5point curve!!

I also think it is a bit safer - i was wondering how likely it would be to flick the wrong switch at the wrong time in the air and cut one to idle
I cant really see there being much need for individual engine control like described in the futaba FAQ