Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Twin electric design project

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin electric design project

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:22 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Twin electric design project

If you're reading this the electric part hasn't put you off... I have flown many P-38's, F-82's, Duellists (spelling?) and home brew twins. I also have many fast electrics. I want to combine the two. I want to design my own air frame that will have two booms a la P38 but no center pod like a P38. Power will be two Mega 16/15/2 or 16/15/3. Each boom will have it's own motor, speed controller, and battery as well as an aileron, elevator and rudder servo. I have not decided on one or two recievers. It may be hand lauched or have retracts. Attached are three pics, one of a fast electric that has the Mega 16/15/2 running a 3.8X4.1 prop that does 150mph+. This is going to be the basis for the booms, sleek and long. Also I have a pic of a slope P38 that I will use the wing shape and size for. And the third pic is a twin Kaos which is the basis of the idea but It will be much sleeker w/o canopies and a bit smaller, somewhere around 45-48 span. the /2 is good for 150+ mph, the /3 is good for 130+ mph proped appropriately when used in a single engine airframe. I plan on on reverse rotation and one normal just because you can easily do it as long as you can find the right size props. Any thoughts or ideas?

I was also wondering if anyone knows of a P38 kit or ARF that is in this size range and sleek, thin wing, that would be a good starting point for parts, obvious not one of the foamies...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22012.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	709259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69957.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	709260   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26005.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	709261  
Old 06-24-2007, 09:35 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin electric design project

You mean like This...

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/PhGa...album=25&pos=2
Old 06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
evan-RCU

Sort of but no center pod and verticle stab/ rudders on each boom. And much less dihedral and the wing wouldn't be pointed between the booms, just straight.... but yeah, that's the idea, it even has cooling intakes under the motors to cool them. I like the retracts too....

Anyone make it R/C?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Slowjohn

I realize this is a little old but I'm curious if you ever came up with anything?

SJ
Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 PM
evan-RCU

Well in looking for plans, kit or an ARF to modify I came across the Nitroplanes P-38 and bought it. I also ordered motors, ESC's, a bunch of LiPo's, a bunch of different servos, bulk connectors, and some high rpm motors from United. I got some 35-35 1450 outrunner motors for the P-38 https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4916 should be awsome with 8X8's and I bought two 28-35 3900 inrunners https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4200 for the speed plane I'll have to build from scratch some day. Some day....
Old 09-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Slowjohn

I've never really been interested in speedy planes prefering aerobatics but recently I built a Ace Simple 400 and powered it with a 2836-10 from www.headsuprc.com and a 8X8 prop. It was a short flight due to some radio troubles but it was enough to make me want to build something else. Since I am also on a "Twin" kick I decided to look around some. I found your post and was curious if you had found anything yet. I too want something different and will have to scratch build whatever I come up with. Right now though I've got several builds going on so really I'm just looking for ideas. Whatever I decide on will need to be in the .15 to .30 size "Twin" range and able to be run electric of course. Not looking for a warbird as I have several already. I was thinking seriously of ordering some items from www.nastytoesaviation.com and then doing the silk and minwax thing. If you haven't give George a look see you might want too. There are some really off the wall designs there and the quality of his kits/parts is very good from what I've seen so far.

Standing By,
SJ