Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Are there any "sport" twin kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Are there any "sport" twin kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any "sport" twin kits?

It seems like all I've been able to find are scale birds.

I'd kind of like to play around with twins and multis without the "scale" factor. I suppose I could bash an existing kit if I had to...

I'm not a scale builder. And if I built a B-25 (for example) for sport flying, it's going to be looked upon with "scale" in mind. (I hope that makes sense) Plus I want "sport" flying, not necessarily "scale" flying. I'm thinking a nice big twin-engine "trainer" would make a wonderful platform for aerial photography.

Are there any kits out there that would fit this niche????

TIA

Lyndon

Old 09-04-2007, 12:58 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Are there any "sport" twin kits?

Hobbico Twin Star

http://www.hobbico.com/airplanes/hcaa2076.html
Old 09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lyndon,

There are several that come to mind and I have all of them except the Twinstar.

Twinstar: 25's. Great small plane from what I've have heard and inexpensive.

Seagull's Dual Ace: 46AX's. Great and my current favorite. Also inexpensive.

Cedar Hobbies: 46AX's. Very cheap, but pretty inferior ARF. Flies great, but the rear section needs reinforcing.

Cox Dualist: 46AX's. Retracts. Much larger investment and not for the faint at heart.

Top Flite Cessna 310: 46AX's, retracts, brakes, flaps. Don't go here for a while!

Bo
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

"Bo" knows his twins..>!!! Couldn't resist that one. I have had the Twin-Star, great little bird $109.00 at Tower, I had the old model with "sticky" paper covering, the new one is supposed to be better with real iron on covering. I had 2 OS .40 4-strokes in it, 3-bladed propes (very inefficient) and on one motor at 4,000 altitutude, it ould barely stay in the air. Two .32's or even sport .40's would be great. I have a Dual Ace getting ready to start building, with two new Supertigre .40's...went on the cheap, $49.00 each at Tower...Hey "Bo" what are you using in your Dual Ace, BTW Dual Aces were $149.00 last time I checked at Horrizon Hobby....
Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM
boingram

My DA has OS 46AX's. You will find the prop clearance a problem. I made up longer gear and use larger whels. Also, there is a good thread on this site for the DA.

CG in the manual is all wrong. Most people using 95-105 for the CG which requires little if any nose weight.

Bo
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what size engines are you going to use?defsr hobbies has a large sport twin for .60 size 2 strokes
Old 09-04-2007, 04:50 PM
boingram

I did a Google search for defsr hobbies and came up empty.

More infomation on this airframe, please....

Bo
Old 09-04-2007, 04:52 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The twinstar flys great at 1200 feet on twin 25's, it will even do a single engine touch and go.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

I have of had 3 of those mentioned, TwinStar, Twin Stick and Dual Ace. It depends on your flying skill as to which one you will be happiest with.

TwinStar: It's a trainer. Small control surfaces, very small tanks and no way to get larger ones in. The covering is terrible-it peels off, trim first and then the rest. This is no matter how much you iron it down. I haven't tried clear nail polish. I have mine of floats and the nacelle covering is peeling. GMS .32s

Twin Stick: A work in progress. It's like a kit with covered wings. You need to glue the nacelles again with 30-minute epoxy or they are coming out. I also added tail bracing wires. With two .46 engines, OS AXs in mine, it comes out nose heavy as heck. I moved the rudder and elevator servos to the rear and added a tail wheel servo on the bottom back there. Then I cut a hole and moved the battery back. You may like nose heavy planes, but I don't. And I'm using the main spar as a reference. It does climb vertically, snap, spin and flat spin. Lands great. It flies like a Stick should after you get it done. For me, it was the most fun of the three. At the price, you can buy 2!

Dual Ace: Excellent kit. Evo .46s. The rudder pushrod has an 11-inch unsupported section that could bend it an engine goes out. After flying, I converted to pull-pull. Does nice, pattern like maneuvers. The gear is a little short for 11 inch props on concrets. I would stick to a 10-7 or 10-8. It isn't scale, but looks real. Spectators like it. Needs the inside of the cockpit painted gray or something and pilots/passengers added.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
boingram

Ed,

I find it interesting that you put braces on the Twin Stik's rear end.

At the McDonough Twin Fly recenlty, I flew the rear stab and vert. tail of mine. Full throttle snaps just too much for the airframe. Total destruction including the 46AX's!

Fun to watch, however.

Bo
Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

vmsguy:

Check out the Sport Utility Twin in the August 2007 issue of Model Aviation Magazine. It uses a 60 size advanced trainer ARF as the base and builds into a general purpose/sport twin for two 40's.

Jim
Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

the nitro planes cessna 310 would probally fit the bill, not very scale and seems to have a low wing loading. $250 for a 92in arf isn't bad either.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Mike Emilio

VMS, , ,

If your an "Arfer" then you have many choices, and be amongst a thousand folks with the same thing.

Myself, I like to build them myself and wind up with the unique and very eye catching stuff.

How about this for an idea.
Do a Google image search under XP-67 Moonbat for more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78695.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	757135  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Hey, Bo, I waited a year to go to that meet and ended up in the hospital for that Friday, Saturday & Sunday, flat on my back eating from an IV. First time I had been admitted to the hostipal for 30 years or so.

I've got AXs in mine, too. I used to big wires to add some more weight to the rear.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 PM
boingram

Ed,

Sorry to hear about your hospital visit.

Yep, I absolutely destroyed my Twin Stik. The whole tail came off. It's a pretty flimsy airframe, but a lot of fun. I'm gonna build another one...what do you suggest doing to it. I did put my rudder and elevator servos in the tail to help the balance, but it still took a lot of weight to balance. I had a lot of trouble with flutter and toothpick pinned all the control surfaces.

I also took my Cox Dualist and Seagull Dual Ace to the meet. We had a pretty good turnout.

My TF 310 is just about ready...no great hurry on it.

Bo