Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Landed P38-Left Engine Gone!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Landed P38-Left Engine Gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Landed P38-Left Engine Gone!!!

I was flying my P38, coming out of a distant left turn when I thought the canopy blew off. I immediatly asked for a cleared runway since I was not sure what damage may have occured to plane. Since my friends plane had just landed I had to make a couple of holding patterns to clear the runway. No real problem, the P38 was a little jerky but very controllable. Finally I set up approach for landing and noticed canopy was on but no propeller!! Jeeweeze I did not know I had lost a prop. Landing was made in grass - no big problem until I got to the plane. No motor!!! It had come loose and pulled out thru front of cowl ??!!
Wish I could brag and say this was a Ziroli or some such big gasser but no luck - It was the GWS electric 48" wing span P38. But what the heck - I think it counts for bragging rights to friends.
In retrospect - I was amazed that the plane flew just fine with no major change in flight handling etc. to balance -trim etc. The scale outline is decent, Sure wish the big ones were this easy, must be the power to wieght ???
But anyway - I landed a P38 with no left engine - Thats my "Bragging Story" and I'm sticken to It