Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Nitro Models B25 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Models B25 ?

I am considering the NitroModels B-25 for my first twin. Does anyone have one or care to make another recomendation for a first twin engine plane?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sibmi5271mut.html
Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models B25 ?

It says it has rudders but they sure don't look movable to me and a twin has to have rudders....

Some of their plane has poor quality and they have poor parts support.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you look closely at the photos, you can see that the rudders are separate, but the stickers have not been cut along the hinge lines. They just slap their airplanes together for the photos. As we all know, they never actually fly them.

Do a search on RCU, there have been a couple of threads in the Nitroplanes B-25.

Jim
Old 08-08-2008, 11:49 AM
patzane

I have this NitroPlane B-25 and it does have rudder. The only thing it's fix gear. I have done some mod to mine and place spring air retracts. I have 2 Evolution .46 for power. plane flys great and stable. I have a few video of it fly on youtube. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWvwsDeAt_k
Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

If you look at some of the advice offered on twins over at RC Warbirds, the prevailing lore is that P-38's and B-25's are the most difficult twins to fly when things go wrong... relatively small control surfaces, engines far away from the cental axis, etc., make it more difficult to recover from the infamous "death spiral" than with a more forgiving aircraft.

Having attempted twins twice (an OV-10 Bronco and a H9 Arrow bashed into a twin), I wouldn't recommend a B-25 for a first twin. Both of mine have crashed, the Bronco due to stupidity, and the Arrow due to an engine quitting just as I was turning onto final approach.) If I had it to do over again, I'd look at a Hobbico Twinstar, or a Seagull Dual Ace as a first twin. Both are supposed to fly OK on one engine, and have forgiving flight characteristics. I'd even try a Bonco again, but the horizontal stab/vertical fin joint is notoriously weak, which can lead to a totally unrecoverable event.

As for the Nitro B-25's quality, the LHS had one in stock at the end of last year, and the construction looked OK. I bought one of their Falcon 50's earlier this year, and while I reinforced a couple of their glue joints and changed all the hardware, overall the contruction was good, and the plane handles well in the air. Be aware that their building instructions are almost useless.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Fred