Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Pica Duellist

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 07:18 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pica Duellist

Hey everybody:

Check this

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hreadid=507841

I'm going to move our subscription list there.

Folks, it's under way.
. Might fly by May.

Bill..
Old 02-04-2003, 01:35 AM
William Robison

Default Pica Duellist

to: EHFleming

Ernest, I'm going to post this on the new thread also, putting it here to keep this thread on the first index page along with the new thread. (Post reply on new thread, thanks.)

Any progress to report?

Want to get high?
. Easy, just go fly.

Bill.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duellist

Hey guys,

I'm going to purchase a Duellist 2/40 this week. I'm planning on slapping two OS .50 SX's on it. Think it'll have enough power to perform?
Old 03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Duellist

Originally posted by Stallion_51
Hey guys,

I'm going to purchase a Duellist 2/40 this week. I'm planning on slapping two OS .50 SX's on it. Think it'll have enough power to perform?
Should be an excellent match. Watch the prop clearance...may have to go with a 3 blader.

Don
Old 03-10-2003, 09:16 PM
William Robison

Default Duellist

Stallion 51:
Originally posted by hattend
Watch the prop clearance...may have to go with a 3 blader.
Don
With K&B 40's on one I'm running 10x6 MAS 3-bladed props, works fine. The twin with Magnum 46XL engines is running 10x8 MAS 3-bladed props, also fine.

You'll be pleased, provided your Foxes will run reliably. That has not been my experience with Fox engines, but I must say the fellow who bought my last Fox is pleased with it, except for its tendency to quit at idle. And that may just be his carb adjustment.

Model market's very best twin:
. The Duellist, been said again and again.

Bill.

PS: Sorry, one pair is J&Z/Zingali/Zinger - different names for the same company. wr.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

Default Prop

Thanks for the input guys...

I'm going with a 10x6.

I usually use the 9.5x6 on my OS .46FX. Now my .50SX runs great with the 10x6 allowing max RPMs.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:14 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Default foxes

mr bill,
I believe he said he was going to use 2 O.S .50 sx engines not fox .50.I have been using fox engines since 1969 and while they take lomger to break in i have no problems with reliability but wrong plug or fuel or carb adjustment can cause problems but that is true for all engines.one thing about fox was they had/have reverse cranks for all production engines so if doing a pusher you do not have to worry about pusher props or you can do counter rotation on twins for that scale effect also.bought my first O. S engine in 1970 and until recently have been like the caddillac of model engines.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:47 PM
William Robison

Default Fox engines (?)

Scalebldr:
Originally posted by scalebldr
mr bill,
I believe he said he was going to use 2 O.S .50 sx engines...
You are correct, sir, my apologies.
...bought my first O. S engine in 1970 and until recently have been like the caddillac of model engines.
I have also been well satisfied with OS engines, I have five or seven of them. BUT. For the last few years I've been buying Magnum, they're carbon coies of the OS for a lot less money, and my experience with them has ALL been good. I have yet to see a peeled Magnum liner, for example.

And you've not responded to the notice about the Super Duellist. Did you not get it? Went out Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

With engines in pairs,
. Needn't wait for light airs.

Bill.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:51 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Default 60 size

Whats the word on this 60 size Duelist I keep hearing about. Is it out yet? Any word on if its been improved on, Laser cut, better construction design etc. Or is it the same thing as the old 40 size, only now twice as expensive. MJS
Old 03-11-2003, 02:19 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Well...

It was discussed in some length in this 259 post thread (you can read the details above), then the design and cutting was finalized in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...41&forumid=220]
Old 04-27-2003, 01:24 PM
roadtrip

Default Pica Duellist

Why not just extend the nose gear? It'll sit like a P-38, but who cares, the props wouldn't be scrapping the ground anymore. Maybe I'm missing something, here, but it sounds like an easy fix to me.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:20 PM
scalebldr

Default Pica Duellist

the nose gear on retracts is at the longest length possible with the nose wheel already hitting the bulkhead in front of the wing leading edge that holds the dowels for the wing hold down so this does not work on retract equipped duellist.look at the photo by william robison.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:32 AM
William Robison

Default Pica Duellist

All:

Prop clearance problem solved.

But it requires some wood work.

Pull the engines and the mounts, shim them to 2 degrees up thrust. This will make the thrust line effectively zero since the wing and stab are two degrees positive.

The woodwork is redoing the nacelles for spinner alignment after changing the thrust line.

Adds about 1/2" to the prop clearance, and makes upright and inverted flying characteristics a lot closer.

Enjoy.

Bill.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:01 AM
roadtrip

Default Pica Duellist

scalebldr
I just got my kit and I see what you mean by the nose gear already hitting the bulkhead in leading edge of the wing. I measured the distance from prop to ground, using a 9" prop at 7 deg. and have more or less 3" of ground clearance. That seems like plenty to me, unless I'm missing something here. My plans are dated 1990 and listed as kit #RC-5, credits Morten Tanger as the designer and says plans are by Jon Tanger. So far it looks like I'm just going to build it as the plans say.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:03 AM
roadtrip

Default Pica Duellist

What would be a good 4-stroke engine for the duallist 2/40 and what size 3-blade props should I use?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:07 PM
roadtrip

Default Pica Duellist

I've been scanning the posts about the Dualist 2/40 as I've finally got mine. I've noticing, in particular the posts about 2-stroke engines and the ground clearance issue. There isn't much said on any posts that I've read so far about using 4-strokes on the dualist. Maybe somewhere in the pages and pages of this post there might be, but a guy has only so much time in a day before the wife says' "if you don't get off that computer, I'm going to DIVORCE you!" (Gee, I'm gonna miss her!) Anway, I would like to use two Saito 56 4-strokes on mine and the prop size is 11x8 to 12x8. Looking at my plans, I see only a 3" clearance using a 9" prop, so I am now considering going to the tail dragger option. I also see several posts referencing the outward relocation of the main gears, but no mention of relocating the nose gear. If you extend the main gears and not the nose gear, would you not have a nose down attitude with the props still kissing the grass?It appears that the only thing you could do with nose gear, is push the bulkhead it mounts to forward into the nose piece, as the wing mount LE and tire are as close as you can get. Also, there's the wing dowel in the way, so you can't extend the nose gear forward. Hopefully, I've missed something here and someone will enlighten me and save my marriage!
Old 05-05-2003, 04:22 PM
William Robison

Default Pica Duellist

Bob:

Three ways to increase the prop clearance.

The hard way is moving the nose strut forward, but it can be done.

The way my next Duellist 2/40 (Mk I) will be done is bringing the thrust line up to zero relative to the wing. That will be two degrees up in relation to the fuselage datum line. This not only adds a bit more than 1/2" in tip clearance, it makes the plane fly better. At least in my opinion.

The easiest way is three bladed props.

Hopr this helps.

Bill.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:30 PM
roadtrip

Default Pica Duellist

For William Robison
What size 3 blade props would you recommend for the Saito .56 4-stroke?
Old 05-05-2003, 05:42 PM
William Robison

Default Pica Duellist

Bob:

I don't have any Saito .56 engines, but I'd start with the three balde Zinger/Zingali/J&Z 10x8, possibly going down to a 10x6 if I didn't get the rpm I wanted with the 10x8.

Reason for the "Slashed" brand is they are all the same prop and the same company, J&Z Products, but depending on the time of the month or whatever, you will find them listed as any one of the three brands.

Bill.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:12 PM
widgeon

Default Do I qualify?

Gentlmen, I am the proud owner of a duellist built by the master himself ( DP), who brought it up to New York and gave it to an old mutual friend of ours. My question is, will this qualify me for membership in the Duellist Club? Widgeon
Old 05-05-2003, 06:27 PM
William Robison

Default Pica Duellist

widgeon:

Merely having the Duellist puts you in the club, having one built by Dave Platt puts you among the elite.

Does it have the original engines? And if yes, what are they?

Tell us about this "Greatest of the Great."

Bill.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:06 PM
widgeon

Default Undeserved Elite Status

Gentlemen, I'm thoroughly flattered and thrilled to be a member of the Duellist owners group. Thank you. The ship was brought up here by the man himself along with a giant scale Jap warbird ,which is still flying,also owned by a friend. I don't remember what engines were in it as I only saw it fly once as it suffered from one engine dying several times which ended the session. The ship needs a little work but is in great shape and is painted in the classic green with original decalage. (not cleavage). I'll post a couple of pics a little later on , and keep you all in the loop on it as I make progress. Meanwhile I've been reading these posts and am gratefull for the information I see posted. PS ,I had to lose a buddy to the Grim Reaper to inherit he ship. Regards to all, Widgeon
Old 05-06-2003, 12:43 AM
William Robison

Default Pica Duellist

widgeon:

Does yours have the "Sub rudder" and fin? that's the obvious difference between the original 2/40 and the Mk II. First version had a straight bottom running to the the bottom of the rudder, the Mk II had a sub fin about 3/4 high, and the rudder top about 7" above the stab. The original had only the upper vertical, and the tip of the rudder was 7 3/4" above the stab.

Wingspan was different also, original at 67" and the Mk II at a 69" span.

As I said, the vertical fin is the most obvious difference. The Mk II also has zero incidences, and the thrust line in zero-zero. No up/down, and no side thrust.

So which do you have?

If it is the Mk II you have the rarest of all Duellists. At least at the moment. With a total production of only 50 of the Mk II 2/60 they will be the rarest. Dave Platt is getting one, if he builds it it will then be the absolutely rarest of the Duellist versions.

Don't tell anybody, but I'm already thinking about a version for .15 or .20 engines. I'll call it the "Minimalist" or some such.

Bill
Old 05-06-2003, 11:10 PM
widgeon

Default Creme de la Creme

Bill, my "dooley" has no sub fin, the vertical fin is 9'' tall and the wing span is 79 1/2 in. I guess I have a 2-60. It may even be the proto of the 2-60. Now I'll have to contact Dave and ask him personally of his recollection. You fellas have no idea of the havoc you've wrought. Now I must put all else aside, except my new GP 1/3 sc. Pitts, and pursue this new challenge. BTW ,is your avatar the A-26 ? Jack Filman, AMA 8093, IMAA 8066, KC2JFW
Old 05-07-2003, 01:50 AM
William Robison

Default Pica Duellist

Widgeon:

You have the one that will forever remain the rarest. Dave Platt had designed his version of the 2/60, with the intention of kitting it from his own company, which has now become Pica.

He did kit the Duellist Mk II for a short time, but so far as I know his version of the 2/60 was never offered for sale. And I mostly ignored his version of the 2/60, but did call our current one the 2/60 Mk II.

So, as I said, with those dimensions you have (possibly) the only Duellist 2/60 (Mk I) ever built. The 2/60 Mk II is 86.25" span.

Guard it.

And post some pictures.

My avatar is the Grumman Tigercat F7F-3. I have one flying, and a second to build.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.