RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Seagull's "Dual Ace" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/3664845-seagulls-%22dual-ace%22.html)

Jim Reeves 05-28-2006 06:13 AM

RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Nice to hear Jimmy,
Have resisted to start putting mine together yet cos I gotta finish off a Big project using a gasser engine, this should be up and about in 2-3 weeks, big plane!!

I have read lots on this thread re people cannot flare out on landing, maybe before I put my DA together I should consider making new elevators with a little more area? Its a pretty straight forward job from what I have looked at in the box. Another strange thing - when looking inside of the port wing root - on the vertical webbing at the main spar was some writing, it reads 'I really do love you darling, and will forever'!!!!! Maybe the Vietnamese crew that done the assembly were in love....will take a pic and publish at some stage. I thought it was cute.

You know you're into modelling when your wife asks is there anything you want ironing - and you pass her your latest airframe!

Jim

xxspeed 05-28-2006 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First flight on problems, build a rack to transport the Dual in, work out well. xxsped

CrashPro 05-28-2006 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
aaaargh....I had an engine die on me during takeoff today,...plane did a quick turn right into the dirt....gonna take a little work, but it will fly again....xxspeed...cool plane carrier,...I could use something like that,..as you can see in the picture,..my Dual Ace is the one laying on the floor of my trailer...

Jim Reeves 05-29-2006 04:25 AM

That really is bad luck crashpro, if you read the whole thread it is the first reported 'nasty' that anybody has had! Was the engine a little to lean? we need to know,

Later

jim

CrashPro 05-29-2006 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Jim Reeves

That really is bad luck crashpro, if you read the whole thread it is the first reported 'nasty' that anybody has had! Was the engine a little to lean? we need to know,

Later

jim
The screw that holds the carb on came loose..matter of fact, the screw was nowhere to be found, carb was just hanging there by the throttle linkage. Last week I had a muffler come loose and the engine died in flight, landed no problem. Apparently, when putting the engine together, I didn't get these screws as tight as I should have, so the crash was no ones fault but mine.

BillS 05-29-2006 08:50 AM

Had the digital fish scale at the field yesterday and weighted one at 12# 8oz. However the maiden flight was successful.

Bill

Jim Reeves 05-29-2006 10:32 AM

At least you know the reason, nuthin worse not knowing how something happend, guess who's gonna be checking carb tightness...

jeroli27 05-30-2006 05:25 PM

Had my first engine out this weekend. It was pretty nerve racking but turned out not to be a big deal. At about 2/3rds power it took roughly half rudder to fly staight. I made it around 1 1/2 times and set up for the landing. I got a little slow and got back into power and it turned to the right just before landing. I landed on the runnway but just after touchdown it rolled into the weeds and nocked the front gear loose. Should be an easy fix. I was deffinately pleased with the flight on one engine.

Jim Reeves 06-01-2006 07:09 AM

Hi jeroli27
Its bound to happen to any multi engined flyer- sooner or later, i had a TERRIBLE experience with a twin a few years ago, underpowered - close to stall, 20 feet - engine out!! write off. At least with the dual ace it is Very flyable with one engine. When I get airborne and have ironed out gremlins then I will do a flight with 1½ tanks and wait for the engine out and force the situation.

Later
jim

Lefte 06-03-2006 08:29 AM

Ok,

After reading what everyone has to say about the engine out and landing it, I was pretty confident that IF it happen I would be able to land. Well one engine quit during a loop, and from there it was bad...very very bad. My plane went into a flat spin with an occasional tipped wing toward the ground. I was sure the moment of impact would result in many many pieces. The ONE time I needed a camera to show a great video of course I had none.

Well I did my best to gain control but it looked like God stepped in and landed it. The plane landed completely FLAT in 3 feet of prairie grass with only the front landing gear slightly bent to the right.

It looks like the engine was a little to lean from the factory (an evolution no less) and the power loss with engine out combined with the tri props didn't give me enough to keep it moving.

What size blade is everyone using on their Aces?

Lefty
[sm=thumbup.gif]

jrf 06-03-2006 09:49 AM

Lefty:

Glad it turned out well!

For future referrence, if you ever get into an uncontrolled situation with one engine out, the only way to regain control is to cut the throttle to idle and release the sticks to let the plane stabilize. Then slowly advance the throttle as you slowly feed in rudder and slowly pull the nose up. That worked for me after an engine quit in an attempted stall turn. (FYI, the Dual Ace won't do a stall turn.)

Jim

Jim Reeves 06-03-2006 10:14 AM

I hope by the time I get this twin airborne that an engine out situation would have been well rehearsed in my head, I guess if you have plenty of height then chop the throttle and push the nose for home?? First up though I have GOT to finish this big boy that is almost complete, the hardest part is finishing off. The weather here in the far south western tip of England is beautiful so tommorrow sunday) i'm goin flyin'! Sopwith pup will be floating around....later.

Max1965 06-03-2006 08:53 PM

Finally received my DA today....nice plane. I will begin Monday on the electric conversion. From what I can see the conversion will be very easy and I expect the electrics to weigh less than the glow version.

More later.

3d12345 06-04-2006 10:12 AM

HELLO,

I DID FLY TEST DUAL ACE THIS TODAY WITH CG 12.5CM. SHE FLEW VERY WELL AND SMOOTH LANDING WITH MAIN GEAR TOUCH GROUND FIRST INSTEAD OF NOSE GEAR.

DOES SOMEONE FLY TEST WITH CG = 12.5CN? IT'S GREAT.

3D12345.

MormonMike 06-05-2006 07:54 AM

Well, it's time for my two-cents worth, Yup, excellent airplane indeed !:D This beats my twin Islander hands down. About fifteen flights and although it's a little underpowered with OS .50 four strokers, they have'nt failed yet. Just wish I could get the Perry Pumps adjusted right along with the "high-end" needles on my Saito .56's [ Islander] so I could have fun with that one. Always--- ALWAYS !--- an engine out in flight with that one. Oops !, here comes the boss !. Gotta go, MM:D

G-Pete 06-06-2006 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: 3d12345
HELLO,
I DID FLY TEST DUAL ACE THIS TODAY WITH CG 12.5CM. SHE FLEW VERY WELL AND SMOOTH LANDING WITH MAIN GEAR TOUCH GROUND FIRST INSTEAD OF NOSE GEAR.
DOES SOMEONE FLY TEST WITH CG = 12.5CN? IT'S GREAT.
3D12345.
I don’t know about 12.5 cm (125mm almost 5 inches):eek:. Seagull’s manual still states 80 to 90 mm and Seagull never responded to the fact some of the guys loaded up to 20oz in the nose cone to keep the airplane in the recommended CG range.
[link=http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/ProdInfo/Files/SEA4025_manual.pdf]Seagull's Dual Ace Manual[/link]

I moved the CG to 105mm from the leading edge, that’s around 4 3/16 inch.
This made it possible to remove 6oz weight out the cone. Only the battery, 5oz, is left in the nose cone. Well, we will see how she flies today…

Lefty,
Here is what I do (some nice tips from Ed Mooreman), start one engine, tuned in and hold the airplane vertical up for at least 15sec. If the motor quit or goes slower, you know it will lean out in flight.
Every engine has to be tuned separately, this means do not try to tune them in while they both running. After I have both tuned in I give one click rich on both engines. If I like to synchronize them more I take a tach and rich the faster engine a little more. This keeps me from having flame outs.

My choice was OS .60 for this bird. Plenty power and I can cruise around with ½ throttle with a pretty good speed. Some war-birds like to race me – they do good (wing on wing) down wind, but against the wind they stay behind…haha.

Here is a little clip about my engines.
[link=http://imageevent.com/germanpete/rc?p=169&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2]Dual Ace/OS .60 clip[/link]

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

3d12345 06-06-2006 10:21 AM

2 OS .60 are much powerfull to Dual Ace but WWII would need this plane!!!

Let us know your flying result. Have a nice landing.

3D123456

Max1965 06-06-2006 06:08 PM

I sure would like to know the correct balance point....makes a difference as to where I install the 5s2p 4960 mah battery for my electric setup.
By the way it seems I will be under the 11 lb weight which Seagull states is the flying weight of this plane. Course I need only three servos...no fuel tanks(or heavy fuel)and .....my motors weight half as much as fuel burners . The battery is the most weight in the plane.

One way to make sure one motor doesn't quit..........go electric.......:D(well maybe not 100%...but ........)

jeroli27 06-06-2006 09:08 PM

Mine came out weighing right at 11 lbs with about 2oz of lead in the noze. I balanced it origanally at 110 mm, it flew pretty good but after about 7or 8 flights I moved it forward about 5mm and I think it flies really good right now. I would probably recomend around 100 to 105 mm for a first flight. The wing loading is going to be high no matter what, so when you get out of the power it is going to drop, but it makes for some nice scale landings. I have to say I'm very pleased with the plane for the money I have invested.

TED 1 06-07-2006 08:45 PM

I have read all the comments about the dual ace and am about ready to give mine a try. I had a couple LA-40s layin around so they will be the first power plants in the thing. They don't seem much different than a 46.

Mine wanted almost a pound in the nose cone to hit the 85 mm recommended balance point and the thing already seemed heavy enough so I moved the servos to the front of the cabin (in front of the wing tube) and replaced the push rods with nylon golden rods...except for where they exit the fuse. Got the weight down to 10 pounds 8 ounces (the 8 ounces is dead weight in the nosecone...plus the battery). So, where exactly do you figure the balance point works best? I see them all over the place..... I only have a year and a half flyin but so far (knock on wood) have only crashed one and that was a stupid mistake. I really don't want this one to be number 2. I have moved through a big stik and currently fly a corvette pattern plane with a 100 saito four stroke. I don't really like fast landings....but this thing looks like once you cut the power she heads for the deck. Any comments?....Suggestions?

Ted

jfail1 06-07-2006 08:56 PM

Ditch that 85MM. Many people have moved it back to 95 MM (where mine currently is) and many others are back around 100 MM and more. I plan to move mine back to the 100 MM and I will then have no weight of any kind on the plane for balancing. Yes, land it with speed. Cut the throttle just a few seconds before touchdown. It is a great flying plane, you will love it. Keep in mind that if an engine quits on you; move the throttle back a bit and fly it with rudder to counter the yawing that will take place with the engine that is still running.

G-Pete 06-08-2006 07:39 AM

105mm! (4 3/16 inch)

For the first time I could land this plane on the main gear. Three point landings with the CG at 90mm always – main gear first, never. The landing and stall speed is lowered too. It is exiting like the first day…

She flies very stable and you need just a little down elevator to hold her level flying inverted. The decent at the landing approach you can control with the throttle stick. The final needs less real estate.

105mm works just fine for me. Not only scale looking flybys – now scale landings.
It’s time to put the retracts in, they sitting in the shop for a couple of month now. She absolutely deserves retracts!!

[link=http://imageevent.com/germanpete/rc;jsessionid=upuec5qgo1.tiger_s]More Pictures click here[/link]

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

Max1965 06-10-2006 06:20 PM

Anyone can explaine which Nacel goes on which side. I know there is a top and bottom and I have that figured out. Each of the four nacels are numbered # 1 and # 2. Does 1&2 go together or does #1 top and # 1 bottom go together...# 2 top and # 2 bottom goe together? There seems to be a slight "sweep" to the rear of the bottom nacel.....

I_FLY_CL 06-11-2006 12:21 AM

One with One
Two with Two

G-Pete 06-12-2006 07:12 AM

here a picture from Saturday at my club field. We had an "open house" and this was a shot of a low and slow flyby. Even the pilot is has the thump up....:D:)
http://photos.imageevent.com/germanp...Dual%20ace.jpg