RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Seagull's "Dual Ace" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/3664845-seagulls-%22dual-ace%22.html)

Max1965 06-12-2006 06:48 PM

RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Got it I fly...thanks.

Finally have the weight on the DA ready to fly using a 18.5 volt 4860 mah battery...didn't go under the 11 lbs as I figured..............11 lbs.....4oz. I can shave the 4oz by using A TP 4000 mah battery......
This plane is well overbuilt for electric flying.........
I should have some flight pics next week......few things to do yet....

Nice pic above.

Lefte 06-15-2006 02:48 PM

Great pics Pete!!!

I am still wondering what size blades everyone is using?

Lefty
[sm=thumbup.gif]

Max1965 06-15-2006 03:01 PM

Got a question for those who have weighted the DA.
Are the weights you are posting done with a total flying weight.....in other words do you include fuel weight? If so what are the weights TOTAL...ready to fly?

a65l 06-16-2006 06:42 AM

I'm flying 2 FX 46's with 11x6 APC props.

Andy

BTW, may be up for sale shortly pending seeing one of the new Cox Duelists.... alwasy liked that plane but was toooo lazy to build one.....

3drc tim 06-16-2006 09:53 AM

Good job Max. Has anyone added retracts yet; type, fit, effort?

Thanks, Tim

skycom 06-17-2006 02:12 PM

Got my Da assembled in the back yard today and ran up the engines. This thing is gonna be nice, sounded great.
Couple of points though,Its a bind putting the wing bolts in; anyone got a better /easier method?
Need to set up my tranny to run both engines and have seperate channels/tick over control. Using a JR 9x11 (9303) Anyone got a link to how to do this?

Thanks

Paul

William Robison 06-17-2006 02:28 PM

Psul:

There was a post a while back about using socket head screws and a ball driver to make the wing attachment easier.

The radio? When I see a JR I wave my garlic at it, I fly Futabe. But the Twinman has done what you want, maybe send him a note and he'll refer you to his posts about it.

Or search this forum for the JR9303.

Bill.

Ed_Moorman 06-17-2006 02:39 PM

Skycom,

You go into the System menu to the Device Sel page. Inhibit the switch for the channel you want to use for the left throttle. (Your right throttle will be the usual channel 1) Then go to the Wing Type page and select that channel as the Mate for the throttle. It should be on page 16 of your MacGregor manual.

William Robison 06-17-2006 02:46 PM

Ed:

Please remember you are the odd ball, almost everyone else flies mode two. Throttle is channel four usually - or am I mistaken when it comes to (ugh!) JR radios?

Bill.

CrashPro 06-17-2006 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All repairs complete after my little mishap of a couple weeks ago.....just need to rebalance and re sync the engines...hopefully will fly tomorrow.

Ed_Moorman 06-17-2006 04:17 PM

There you go, Willy, trying to answer a JR question and screwing it up. Actually, Bill called me after he thought about it and told me he may have messed up him reply.

JR channel order is 1. Throttle, 2. Aileron, 3. Elevator, 4. Rudder, Gear, Flaps, etc.

skycom 06-19-2006 04:13 PM

Thanks Ed, got the radio set up using your method. Gotta say I'm impressed by the radio. Just need to adjust the throttle linkages for linear movement and I'm near to finished.
Built a battery box on the firewall as per above post to help with the cofg. Fitted a heavy weight 4200 sub C pack. Will check how it balances out and go from there,

Paul

Max1965 06-19-2006 04:30 PM

Well?
Has not anyone weighted their DA with a full load of fuel and all? I am trying to find out what the total flying weight you guys are doing.....will help me determine my battery weight for the electric version DA.

CrashPro 06-19-2006 04:45 PM

I removed 6 ounces of lead from mine during repair...brought it down to 11.1 pounds....I have two 10 ounce tanks...so if my math is correct that would put it right around 12.5 pounds with full tanks of fuel.

Max1965 06-20-2006 08:50 AM

Thanks crashpro....I got soem leeway to work with on weight.

fgpierce 06-21-2006 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep... I added retracts.:D The last time I weighed it was 10.2 pounds.All components where on the scale[sm=wink.gif] I'm using HS225 servos on 6v with HS81 on the throttles and retract vave. O.S. 50's with Mac pipes. The retracts are I believe Robart, I had them lying around with the old style slide valve and 5/32 legs. They should be strong enough for reasonable landings :)and give way on the mishap. [:-]
I'm hoping to keep it under or at least 11 pounds ready to fly dry. The balance is going to fall easily in the range suggested in this thread. Around 4 3/4 to 5.0 inches
The mains are in and recovered. I was able to save the old stripes!
It's late for me so I'll keep it short for now with a few pics. I'll take more soon and post them.
I won't give step by step instructions on how I did it as I hunt and peck with typing. but I hope it will give aid to someone else considering the conversion

Oh yeah..... I plan on first flight this weekend!
Good night for now.

fgpierce 06-22-2006 03:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some other pics of my retracts. It took abit of work but it looks to be worth the effort. The first flight will tell for sure!
I used 1/8 5-ply plywood for the mounts and doubler parts. I have templates of the parts if anyone is interested. I also drilled lighting holes where ever possible. So far the weight is 10lbs. 3 oz. I have shipping scale and it was used from the start. The balance point now is at 5" with no additional weight
I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have .
I'm trying to upload the pics but there seems to be a problem not allowing conformation. It seems to work a few at a time so please excuse any doubles

CrashPro 06-22-2006 07:54 AM

Wow fgpierce....that looks fantastic.....any chance we'll see a video of your first flight with retracts?

TED 1 06-22-2006 08:55 AM

I have been reading with great interest all the comments on the dual ace flight characteristics. My total dry weight (without fuel) is 10 and 1/2 pounds. 8 ounces in the nose plus the battery and she balances at 105 mm from the leading edge. That is where I figure I will test fly it. With all the comments on the cg, I have heard no one say anything about the control serface throws. 3/16 on the ailerons seems kind of light. The elevator also seems a little shallow, which may be the problem in flaring for landing (plus too much nose weight) based on the instructions. Personally, the suggested throws for the aerobatic setup look better to me than the test flight settings. Anybody have any input on where to set it up for the first flight? Right now I have mine configured for dual rates......test flight throws and aerobatic ready with the flick of a switch.

Ted

skycom 06-22-2006 09:16 AM

Nice job. Could you post the templates in your gallery?
What is the spares position likewith the DA now. I could do with getting some spare nacelles but can't source them in the UK

Kmot 06-22-2006 10:42 AM

fgpierce: Nice job! Really well done!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

CrashPro 06-22-2006 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: skycom

Nice job. Could you post the templates in your gallery?
What is the spares position likewith the DA now. I could do with getting some spare nacelles but can't source them in the UK

I bought a new set of nacelles here http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...arts%20Listing

Max1965 06-22-2006 05:48 PM

Nice job fgpierce.

G-Pete 06-23-2006 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Madmax1965
Nice job fgpierce.
Ditto to that! I hope the ply will hold a harder landing. Like the former stated, some eye candy in form of a video would be nice ( Ya Ya we are pampered – haha:))

ORIGINAL: TED 1
I have heard no one say anything about the control serface throws. 3/16 on the ailerons seems kind of light. The elevator also seems a little shallow, which may be the problem in flaring for landing (plus too much nose weight) based on the instructions. Personally, the suggested throws for the aerobatic setup look better to me than the test flight settings. Anybody have any input on where to set it up for the first flight? Right now I have mine configured for dual rates......test flight throws and aerobatic ready with the flick of a switch.
Ted
Ted, the control throws are just enough to get the plane nice up, fly around and make barrel rolls. Nice smooth rolls when the CG is at 105. Most of the time I fly with low rates. High rates are rare for me with this bird.
Anyway you will be surprised how much she moves with these “small” rates. One suggestion from me: set not all the control surfaces on one switch when possible. In case one engine goes out you need more rudder and not more aileron and elevator. Get used to use the rudder – just training in case…
Like the manual says, I would recommend using low rates for the first flights.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

G-Pete 06-23-2006 07:45 AM

Here is a little clip of my maiden flight with the DA.

[link=http://rcrenegades.com/userfiles/video/petedualacemaiden.wmv]Pete's DA maiden[/link]

with the CG in the wrong place the plane decent pretty fast after throttle back. Due the bad field the front wheel came over and she made a sharp turn to the right. I just had to tight the bold a little harder. Now my landings are way smoother and very precise.