RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Palmer 132" AC-130 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4820908-palmer-132%22-ac-130-build.html)

oltimer 10-27-2007 05:40 PM

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

1 Attachment(s)
O.K. Mike, Travis, Troy and others;

Here are some pictures of the construction of the outer wing panel as I decided to do it including the "secret" fixture! Ha! Because of the number they will be sent in two groups. Basic construction and assembly to the center section with engine alignment fixture.

Picture #1
Shows the basic construction with spars laid in place but not cemented yet. Note blocks I used to space the ribs and hold them in place while I used the CA. I used the 4' scale to keep the L. E. straight while the CA dries. It also shows the general arrangement for getting the 2 degrees of washout in the construction. Angles hold the spars on top straight while the CA dries on the spars. After that I remove the blocks as they have done their job. The blocks are scrap 1 x 2 and 1 x4's. Depending on what I had on hand.

Picture #2,3,4 Shows the method of obtaining the 2 degrees of washout. I drew a line in the center of the W10 rib and one on the W28 rib. I clamped the Robart Incidence meters on the centerline of each rib via spacers and clamps. The lower spars were spaced up from the building surface by 3/4" or so. I used some 1/2" x 34" oak I had. I glued two pieces together to get the right length. I set up the oak spacers that I got the right taper for the rear spars to get the 2 degrees. Then I added the lower spars, ribs, etc. You get the picture. Pics #3and #4 show the Robart meter readings while in place on the assembly. I used weights to keep everything straight and level in addition to pieces of alum angle.

Pics showing wing assembly to the center section next!

oltimer 10-27-2007 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike, Troy, Travis;

The rest of the pictures here show the general layout of the "secret" fixture for aligning the engine thrust lines, etc. Pretty basic stuff!

Picture #5 shows the basic layout I used.
Pictures #6,7,8 show the nacelle alignment and construction in general.

Enjoy, Frank

UkerDuker 10-27-2007 06:01 PM

Wolfie,

Here is my simple opinion on the engine choice. You can use an OS120, but it might not fit in the nacelle. I am going for the most realistic and scale appearance. I do not want anything extra (if possible) hanging out of my plane. Personally, If didn't mind the muffler hanging out at the fire wall, I would go with Saito 90, 100, or 125's. They are much smaller than the comparable OS engine. I would also mount them rotated 90 degrees. What ever engine you select, just make sure its a 4-stroke. That will ensure power and a scale sound, in my opinion.

I do not know anything about gas engines, so I won't offer any opinion there.

Mike

Disclaimer- These are my opinions. If you do not like them, I have many more. These opinions are subject to change. :D

oltimer 10-27-2007 06:52 PM

Wolfie;

Since you are building a MUCH larger model than we have you might want to check your NEW blown up drawings to see how big an engine you can get in the engine nacelle. A 3W 28 just might be able to fit in but I'm not sure. The width is an issue of course.

Frank

UkerDuker 10-27-2007 08:18 PM

Wolfie,

I forgot you are building a larger version. I would put the largest engine possible. You might be able to fit the RCV120SP's in the nacelles.

As the scale gets larger I would want to have as much power as possible for continued flight if an engine quits. If the engines overpower your plane, you can always reduce the throttle servo travel. My personal thinking is you can never put too much power into a plane.

Mike

shoveldirt 10-27-2007 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys-

Here ya go. Pardon the aim of the pics. The wife managed to crack the LCD screen of the camera so I was aiming manually. I carved the ramp lift points and covered them with 1/32" ply for outside appearance. I still have alot of sanding to do, but you get the idea. The plane is sitting upside down so the electronics are not tight and hanging. Anyway, here are some pics for what they're worth...

Travis

Frank-

Simple wing jig, huh. Can I come to your place to build my wings? :)

UkerDuker 10-27-2007 10:41 PM

Frank,

How are you securing the outboard panels to the center section? Will it be easy to assemble at the flying field?

Your wing is looking great! I haven't had much time lately to do much. I have been trying to get my fuselage completed, but I need more parts. I started installing the main gear doors. All I can say is OUCH! I have tried every type of hinge, but settled with Dubro nylon hinges. I have layup some fiberglass for my inner main gear doors. These should be much easier (I hope).

Mike

UkerDuker 10-27-2007 10:46 PM

Travis,

The build is looking good! Can I steal some of you ideas?;) Your lower cargo ramp looks great. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I need to really work on that area. I'm not happy with my results at all.

Mike

You brought up a good point, we should all go to Franks house to complete our wing panels. I need to get a closer look at that secret wig jig!!!:D He must have a HUGE workshop.

shoveldirt 10-27-2007 11:05 PM

Mike-

Of course you can use my ideas. This is a "community" project and I'm sure I used more of others' ideas than I have supplied. After seeing those pics Frank supplied, the wing has got me a little scared now.:eek:

Travis

Frank-

What did you use for the top halves of the nacelles? Fiberglass, ply, molded fiberglass? I think Mike's and mine will need to be removable with the RCV's.

UkerDuker 10-27-2007 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Travis,

My question about a removeable top on the nacelle will be answered when I know where the glow plug is located. Do we really need it to be removeable? I attached a picture showing the upper vents on the nacelle. I think if we include these, our engines will be fine. We just need to make sure they look scale, but are as large as possible to allow the heat to vent.

Mike

shoveldirt 10-27-2007 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The glow plug is on top; almost exactly 180 degrees from the exhaust port and the same distance behind the prop.

46Marcus 10-28-2007 12:48 AM

Hey anyone,
I have had thoughts of the MVVS engines with the reverseable exhaust. Is there a problem with this?? I mean for the 132 inch C-130 airacraft. I do not see anyone thinking of utilizing an engine where they can turn the exhaust to the back of the wing.
Mark

wolfie 10-28-2007 03:52 AM

HI dont no much a baut engine what is the best ,OS,supertiger,MVVS,RCV,SAITO and a LASER engine
in Danmark wee no OS engine and Supertiger not much the others
i think the width a baut 20 to 25 kg or 40 lbs to 50 lbs
i thing better a little heavy and extra strong then too light

Tanks
Thomas

UkerDuker 10-28-2007 08:32 AM

Mark,

I have never heard of the MVVS engine until I started this build. I want to stick with technology I know works. The engine sounds like it could be very easy to use within this project, but old habits die hard. Are these engines 2 or 4 stroke?

Mike

oltimer 10-28-2007 12:03 PM

Travis;

Nice looking job! Your ramp look good just like the real thing. I hope one day to get my actuators so I can finish my ramp doors.
The fixture is simple for the engine alignment. Its just a straight piece of wood clamped to the edge of the table and everything else is referenced to it. I used pieces of angle I got at Home Depot for spar straighteners, etc.

Frank

oltimer 10-28-2007 05:23 PM

Travis;

The top of my engine nacalle is made of three pieces of fiberglas sheet, about .o10" thk and the overlap is filled with body filler. It worked out better than the wood strips and is lighter too! The front piece is the last to put on so go from there if you decide to make it similar. You could make one piece removable for the plug.

Frank

oltimer 10-28-2007 05:26 PM

Thomas;

I meant to ask how big is the inside of the engine space. This will tell you how big an engine you can use. What is the side to side measurement in mm??

Frank

oltimer 10-28-2007 05:30 PM

Marcus;

The MVVS brand of engine is mostly known for its racing abilities. It is a good performing engine for a two stroke and is very powerful. The problem is that it is not too popular and so parts are a problem. The group in general feel that this airplane is NOT going to weigh what is on the plans and that the 49 size is too small an engine. I expect the plane to come out in the low to mid forty pound area.

Frank

oltimer 10-28-2007 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike;

I am using a 1/4-20 bolt and a dowel to hold the wing in place. If you look at the pictures I posted and look at the one that shows the wing root on the fixture you will see the hole just in front of the front spar. The dowel is just behind the rear spar in the same picture. There is a Tee nut in the center section outboard engine nacelle. This should be more than ample to hold it in place. I will make a small panel that is removeable from the front spar to just behind the L.E. of the wing. This will give me access from the bottom of the wing.

Frank

wolfie 10-30-2007 10:56 AM

Hi Mike

i dont have the planes yet the plans are in a shop too be blown up
if you take the indside of the engine space and make the 68% bigger then you will have the size

Thomas

TruBlu02 10-30-2007 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker

Travis,

My question about a removeable top on the nacelle will be answered when I know where the glow plug is located. Do we really need it to be removeable? I attached a picture showing the upper vents on the nacelle. I think if we include these, our engines will be fine. We just need to make sure they look scale, but are as large as possible to allow the heat to vent.

Mike
Hey Mike I just wanted to toss in that the airflow diagram I posted a couple pages back includes this upper vent and helps to draw alot of heat out of the nacelle. Plus it looks like it will work out perfect for the glow plug. I have adjusted the TD Amp (fuel computer)many times through this useful vent.

UkerDuker 10-30-2007 02:16 PM

I'm not sure if I will have a removeable top for my nacelles. I have been toying with an idea to use a large fuel dot for access to the glow plug. Then I can have a quick access port for removing/replacing my plugs. The only issue I foresee, is with the curvature of the upper nacelle.

More to follow after I get my engine installed.

Mike

nismoserspecv 10-30-2007 09:02 PM

Mike

It is so nice to see your work going well! We havent heard from you at the club in a long time and your wife had told me why when I called looking for you 2 weeks ago and all I can say is I am glad it is at your house and not mine. lol Keep up the build its looking good! See you at the next meeting NOV20th!

Ben

UkerDuker 10-31-2007 09:15 AM

Ben,
All the traveing I do is good for somethings, researching the web for ideas and the purchasing of parts to continue my project. The downside is I don't get to fly as much as I like. I will do everything I can to be at our clubs next meeting. This is the one meeting I can't afford to miss.

Frank,
I started working on my main gear doors. Can you tell me what the width of your main wheels are? I am having second thoughts about using my Sullivan wheels. I might have to find a tire that is slightly more narrow. The issue is my main gear doors are not closing completely because they are touching the tires. Ifs not a big deal, but I want to see if there is an alternative out there. Also, do you have brakes on your main wheels? I know I saw brakes on your nose wheel.

My wheels are 1 9/16" wide. I might have to move to Robarts, which are 1.25" wide. (geez, more money) The Robarts are also equipped for brakes. (geez, even more money)[&:]

Mike

oltimer 10-31-2007 12:15 PM

Mike;

Right now I am using the 4.5" Sullivan wheels and they seem to be inside of where the door will be. I haven't made the gear doors yet though. I do not have brakes on the main wheels, but I do have the Violett Qick-Stop system on the nose wheels. I didn't think it was worth putting brakes on the mains since I only planned on using them for "run-up" and release and to stop when taxiing. If I need them on the mains for some reason I guess I will have to do what you are considering.

Frank