RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Palmer 132" AC-130 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/4820908-palmer-132%22-ac-130-build.html)

UkerDuker 02-15-2008 11:00 PM

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

Geez [X(] I forgot how much work is involved with the flaps. Everything is custom built. Tonight I fabricated the servo mounts and servo arms. I installed the L/H OB flap servo mount.

I purchased all the parts to build the custom pushrods from my LHS. The only item I am missing is the final flap servo. Tomorrow I will finish sheeting the OB flaps and start on the pushrods. I'll post more pictures when I get everything fabricated and installed.

My aileron hardware finally shipped today. The guys at RDS have been swamped with orders. This is good timing since I am still building my flaps.

Mike

UkerDuker 02-17-2008 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to make some significant progress this weekend, but my overall plan went out the window. I was able to complete the flap installation for the left wing. I got the O/B flap built up and sheeted. This took over an hour of sanding to get everything shaped and fitting correctly. I also had to trim the wing rib recessed area, where the leading edge of the flap rests. I added an additional 1/8" plywood rib to the inside of my outboard wing panel. THis will provide the support for the upper sheeting that covers the O/B flap.

I noticed I will have to replace my servos, using a 6v battery, the flap extension works perfect, but the retracting sequence struggles. My twin push rods worked great. I custom made these from 4/40 treaded rods, carbon fiber tubing, and brass tubing. Everything is soldered and 60 minute epoxied together.

My progress went alot slower than I anticipated, but I cant complain. The left wing flaps are done, and now I can start the right wing. My aileron linkage should be arriving shortly. I can also start running my O/B wing wiring and installing the retractable wing landing light.

Mike

UkerDuker 02-22-2008 01:42 PM

I have a flap question. Is the extension (degrees of flap) the same between the inboard and outboard flap surfaces? Do these surfaces have the same degree deflection when in use?

Mike

grinder-RCU 02-28-2008 02:21 AM

I would have to say yes. If they were different it would screw up the flying geometry?.

RustyTumbles 02-28-2008 04:24 AM

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker

I have a flap question. Is the extension (degrees of flap) the same between the inboard and outboard flap surfaces? Do these surfaces have the same degree deflection when in use?

Mike
Yes they are the same.

schwatd 02-28-2008 08:49 AM

Mike,

I looked through all the photos I have of C-130's on approach and departure and the inboard and outboard flap systems always are at the same degree of extention. Even when the flaps are completely extended they are still the same.

Everyone,

Wow some great work on those aircraft gentlemen! I have one questiong about the flap mech. has anyone tested it under wing load and wind load. It occured to me that when inflight the wings do arch slightly and the wind pressure against the flaps might in combination create some new forces on the system, If you all have dealt with this issue just tell me to shut my pie hole:D as I am far far behind all of you with my build.

Thanks guys!!

UkerDuker 02-28-2008 09:03 AM

Schwatd,

Good point on the flaps. The honest answer is "I'll find out when I get it airborne. During my flap installation the thought never crossed my mind that the wing can/will flex, potentially impacting the flaps.

Mike

UkerDuker 03-07-2008 10:35 PM

Well, the day has finally come......

I have taken on a new job. This job will be taking me out of the country for extended periods of time. I have suspended my build indefinately. I will continue to stockpile the remaining items I need to finish my AC-130, but the building will cease. I will continue to follow the progress of Schwatd, Longflyer, Oltimer, and Wolfie. I will continue to reply when I am able and look forward to seeing everyones progress.

Good luck and blue skies!!

Mike

cobi.p 03-08-2008 04:53 AM

hello mike
let me be the first who congratulat you on your new job , best of luck and success :D

i think it's a shame that a beautiful build like yours will stay as a pile of wood and never get to be finished and roar the sky [:@]

do you consider on selling it as it is ???

best regards
cobi

UkerDuker 03-08-2008 10:23 AM

cobi,

I will not be selling my project. I have spent 15 months to get this far. I will complete my AC-130 Spectre gunship. I just don't know what my completion date will be. Unfortuneatly work comes first, then my RC hobby.

Mike

wolfie 03-10-2008 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike
all i can say :(:(:(:(:(
good lock on you new job locking forvert too have you back and bilding

My Herk is on hold too i am finishing my piper cub

shoveldirt 03-10-2008 08:34 PM

Hi Guys,

It's been awhile, but I'm still here. My bird has kinda been put on hold because of a new project. I've finally bitten the bullet and started flying lessons. The wife got me the "discovery flight" and I've been hooked ever since. It's something I've always wanted to do. Good luck with with your new job, Mike. Be safe.

Travis

TruBlu02 03-13-2008 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: shoveldirt

Hi Guys,

It's been awhile, but I'm still here. My bird has kinda been put on hold because of a new project. I've finally bitten the bullet and started flying lessons. The wife got me the "discovery flight" and I've been hooked ever since. It's something I've always wanted to do. Good luck with with your new job, Mike. Be safe.

Travis

Congrats on starting flying lessons! I am just about done with my commercial rating. It has been alot of work and time but very rewarding, especially getting my instrument rating. I know how you feel I have been "hooked" as well since the first flight!

schwatd 03-27-2008 07:19 AM

Hello everyone.

A quick note. I'm in Elizabeth City. We are going to try and go to the USCG Station today. I will be taking atleast 500 pictures. let me know if you need any details. I will have a fairly extensive library after today.!

schwatd 03-30-2008 11:03 PM

Well, I offered. We had a great time. met a great Captain who happened to be a C-130 pilot. He showed us all over a C-130 in the hanger. I took hundreds of pictures. OH and the best part. he love to fly RCs. he's got the electric c-130 and says one of the strangest things happened. It flys just like the real one, SO NO KNIFE EDGE PASSES, NOT AERODYNAMICALLY SOUND THINKING!!! More Later. I have so many new answers now I have to go find all the questions!!!!

longflyer 04-07-2008 09:19 PM

mike
need to know where i can get the 4 eng syncro.
john

UkerDuker 04-07-2008 09:27 PM

John,
You need to contact yl5295(RCU screen name). He can provide 4-engine syncronizer. I cant find his email at this time.

Mike

oltimer 04-08-2008 06:38 PM

John;

Contact Bill Wike at Wike R/C Products, 215 Preston Pines Dr.,Cary, N.C. 27513. His Email is:[email protected]. Tele is:919/417-8080. RCS does not handle the Quad Sync unit currently they just pass it through to Bill. I have a twin sync on a P-61 and it performs flawlessly. Great gadget!!

Frank

longflyer 04-09-2008 10:06 PM

got the info
email on the way
thanks
john
ps check out my scratch built c130 in the forums

oltimer 05-01-2008 07:49 PM

Mike, Travis, anyone else building the C-130 with RCV Engines.

Just a few notes on my experience so far with the RCV -CD engines. I have all four mounted on a "test stand" of sorts. The first thing I would recommend before youi run them is to turn the engine over and "feel" the compression as a reference point. My engines varied considerably as delivered. However, after I have ran them on the stand the compression on the "best" running one is almost non-existant and the second best running engine is somewhat stiffer, but not by much. The third and fourth engines have considerable resistance. So far I have run about a half gallon of fuel through all engines. The RPM on ALL engines is very good considering I'm running 14/8 APC props. I get a good 8400 to 8600 RPM out of each engine still running "rich"l. All are very consistant running. I usually run them for about 40 minutes at a crack now. At first I ran them about 15 minuites or so and monitored the cylinder head temperatures as well as the muffler temperature. They start out in the 160 to 170 degrees range with a VERY rich mixture. After about 30 minutes or so run time they run fairly cool at about 140/150 degrees or so as best as I can read the meter (infrared device). Temperature variation is the same for all engines now that I have the half gallon through each engine. I estimate I will burn a gallon of fuel per engine and then they shoud be "broken in". Fuel consumption is as specified in the insturctions for my engine. I think I will beat the specs based upon the fact that I'm still running about a half turn rich. Engines 1 and 2 run approximately 48 minutes on the 24 oz. fuel tanks. Engines 3 and 4 are still rather thirsty and run about 40 minutes on the same amount of fuel. They are still breaking in I believe.

At the Toledo event I spoke to the rep from the U.K. about the engines and he said the best thing to do is just run the heck out of them. The longer you run them the better. I haven't tried to set the needle valves for any kind of performance yet but I will begin to do that after about another 40 minute run.

The rep also told me that the people running the torpedo shaped engines are using baffles in the cowl intakes to make the air coming in to swirl and become turbulent inside of the cowl to make for more efficient cooling. These engines do run hotter than most 4 strokes because of the extra friction of the gearing and rotating sleeve. I have also noticed that the crank case breather gives up a LOT of oil after running so have a "nappy" handy!

So far I'm pretty pleased with their performance on the "bench". With all four running at once they produce a LOT of thrust. I can't wait to get them into the nacelles and checked out in the aircraft. The reps comment was that since the engine line came out in 1998 they have not received a "worn out engine"!! Pretty good1

One other note on a different subject: Lights! I have a closeup photo of a C-130 wing tip that has a clear plexiglass wingtip L.E. "window" where on private and commericial aircraft you usually see the navigation lights. I didn't know what it was for because the navigation lights on the C-130 are on the end of the wing tip. A C-130 vet told me that they were used on landings and appear similar to the landing lights in the middle of the wing between the engines. He sent me a photograph of their aircraft coming in for a landing and lo and behold there were SIX lights a blazing one on each side between the engines, the taxi lights in the wheel covers and one landing light at the wing tip pointing directly forward. He also told me that the landing lights between the engines are movable up and down. They are generally controlled by the co-pilot who points them down to some angle on approach until they see the runway and then as they settle they are rotated back up to "look" down the runway. The outboard lights are to add illumination when landing on "combat" situation air fields where there are no other lights and it is hard to see ahead very far. The photo show the plane landing on a "dirt" runway in Nam I expect but I really didn't ask.

Anyway that's my story. Anyone who is interested in pictures of my test stand or the C-130 "lights" let me know.

If anyone of our audience has information about a Viet Nam era C-130 with specific serial numbers and the Asian camoflage paint scheme I would be very interested in pictures for event documentation. There are a lot pictures in books, but too far away to tell what the I.D. and call signs are not to mention the colors. I have a lot of info on aircraft in the European color scheme but very few worth while in the Asian color scheme.

Frank

UkerDuker 05-02-2008 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oltimer,

Its good to hear your building progress is moving forward successfully. What is the current weight of your C-130? Do you have any current build pictures? Was it worth buying "matched engines"? Are you using your custom exhausts or the stock ones from RCV? I say post all the pictures you have, only because I'm "out of town" with no access to any of my RC stuff. [8D] I'm currently working at the Kabul International airport in Afghanistan. I am continuing to stock up on the remaining items to complete my project when I return. I'm basically down to purchasing the engines, larger torque servos, and the brakes. I have my trailer lined up, from a former club member at my flying field who upgraded to a larger one.

All in all, my build is still moving ahead, but just with any CA and balsa construction.

Mike

Attached is the picture I found online showing all 6 landing lights. The wingtip lights are alittle difficult to see, but they are illuminated.

oltimer 05-02-2008 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike

The current weight of my C-130 is as follows: the wing complete with engines, all controls, engines, cowls, spinners, props, radio, quad sync, lighting batteries and fabric covering with one coat of Min Wax Poly clear is about 27 pounds. This includes the center section of the wing too! The fuselage is 12 lbs with eveything installed but not covered yet. This includes the landing gear, air equip. and all servos's, batteries, etc. I expect a 40 to 45 lb flying weight. So far so good!!

Since the "matched engiines" didn't cost me any extra I'd have to say "yes"! They all seem to peak at the same RPM and although I haven't adjusted the idle speed yet they idle currently about 500 RPM above specs but I expect that to come down considerably.

I am using standard "Macs" products which is a 90 degree header and a flex stainless steel tube (corrugated) with a fitting on the end for the muffler. Everything threads together and the tubing is homogenous meaning that it is NOT spiral wound where it will leak! This is great stuff. I used the standard 9" length tube and it worked out quite nicely. Macs products makes mufflers and they are out of Sacramento, Ca.

I am posting pictures of my engine test stand and the muffler extension "laid" in place with wire since I don't want the engine oil in the airframe yet!
I will also enclose the picture that my friend Dale sent me of the "six" landing lights. I am having Dan at Details 4 Scale make up an extrs set of landing lights to add to the wiring mess.

Regards, Frank

oltimer 06-07-2008 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike and others building this aircraft;

Attached are some pictures of my craft showing various parts of the fuselage. It's loaded with air lines and signal cables running along the sides of the plane. When this is finished and the ramp doors completed I will attach the wing center sections. I want to make sure I have everything I can in plance in the fuselage before attaching the wing center section because it will be soooo much harder to work with.

The pictures show the fuse interior and air line routing as well as the signal and power lines on the opposite side. A shot of the wheel wells and the door cylinder actuators. Another shot shows the taxi light installation. The last picture shows the ramp actuating cylinders.

Cheers, Frank

flyguy56 06-12-2008 11:34 PM

Dad,

Your 130 build is coming along great! Very nice work, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a master craftsman! The main gear slider block really looks much more robust than the original design called for and I'm sure you will be pleased with the result - piece of mind in any case. I'm still making slow, but steady progress on the B17 and have bottom of both stab halves ready for sheeting.

Take care and Happy Father's Day in advance. Talk to you Sunday! Tim

Dad_Roman 06-13-2008 08:29 AM

Dang! Wasnt that nice![sm=thumbs_up.gif]