Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SkiDoo Snowmobile (let the mods begin)

I just bought the new polaris fuzion 900 electric.. wonder if these same mods will work.. Anyone.. let me know.. Thanks. Ronnie.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:03 PM
motorbikemikexb9

ORIGINAL: entity

I just bought the new polaris fuzion 900 electric.. wonder if these same mods will work.. Anyone.. let me know.. Thanks. Ronnie.
Hey Entity,

could you please post sone pics of it...also some with the shroud oped. I was wondering how they look inside and out.

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 PM
kdubbz
My Feedback: (2)

OK I ripped out the electronics and shaved the motor mounts and stuff NOW I need to get the 32 pitch pinions, I only have a set of 48 pitch pinions which arent spaced far enuff apart. How many Teeth should I need on it? Like 15 or lower or higher? Also How did you mount the motor to the plastic? I have the servo all done jus need to zip tie it down to the base. I will upload a pic later of it tommorow. later.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 PM
motorbikemikexb9

I'm running a 14 tooth on a 12-2 brushed motor works pretty good. I have no idea what would happen if I went up or down (I need to get more pinions)
Old 12-21-2005, 09:21 PM
entity
Banned

i'll take some pics. but not with the shroud off. have yet to tear into it..
Just got it three days ago.. worked fine.. but toooooo slow. and won't turn for a poop!.. takes almost my whole backyard to turn it. comes with a big fat dude on it though..lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17081.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	373908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40518.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	373909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65977.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	373910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38535.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	373911  
Old 12-22-2005, 03:03 PM
kdubbz

Heres my progress so far, i ordered the new pitched pinion and a new RX crystal, i have the TX but lost the rx so now i have to wait till after xmas to finish her up. Can anyone take pics of how they mounted the motor so i get a better idea on how it woiuld be best to mount? Later.

Name:	Tr51295.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	374257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67984.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	374258  
Old 12-23-2005, 02:10 AM
rcpi

I too purchased a New Bright Ski-Doo snowmobile from Tower Hobbies, must have been one of the last ones because they are out of them now. Get this tho, it appears it was already opened and removed from the box. The box was ripped and the foam was busted up, then was re-taped. I charged the batteries and went to to fire it up. Nothing! It was completely dead! No sound, movement nothing. Then I was sure it was a returned item. Was very unhappy! [:@] Being I was going to gut it and modify it anyway, I went ahead and took the PC board out under the seat. Found out the Negative Battery wire was loose and another cable was not plugged in. Fixed all that and it works fine, except for the tail light.

First thing is to install a old Kyosho Atomic force 17 turn modified motor. Had to rebuild it, bearings and re-machine the commutator. Next was to modify the motor mount. Milled it flush and moved the center hole up higher. Just had to slot the 2 holes for the screws holding the motor. Am using a Traxxas 14 tooth pinion from a E-Maxx. It seems to be the right pitch and meshes well. Had to grind a little clearance on the cover plate so the pinion does not rub. Rough calculation, it might go 13 MPH with 6 cells. It is has a 10.178 to 1 gear ratio. Might run 10 cells, so 18 MPH?

Going to add 2 extra wheels for the track because the drive cogs seem to rub on a lower brace.

Will post the rest of the conversion in the next few days.

Have a Merry Christmas or a great Holiday season to all!

rcpi

Name:	Tr50309.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	374498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66549.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	374499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31176.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	374500  
Old 12-23-2005, 08:22 PM
entity
Banned

Not to interuppt a thread.. but my brand new polaris fuzion electric sled is up for sale for a great price.. look it up under polaris cause i had no place to put in that i could find on the sales selections.. Will trade too. Ronald.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 AM
rcnoviceguy

New to the RC world. Wife got me one of these New Bright Ski Doo's for X-mas. I liked it instantly, but immeadiately felt like it needed some help. I ordered a second one in case I need replacment parts.

Anyway, I was wondering what my best bet is as far as which motor and servo would be ideal. (I'm not looking to set any land speed records, I just want it to handle better, go faster and respond quicker; simple right!) I know NOTHING about this. (I havn't had an RC anything for 20 years!)

If I put a larger motor on it, do I need a different battery system?, Will it drain the battery faster?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upgrading these skidoos is not at all aimed at novice guys .
Moving on to a larger brushless electric motor may be doable though... and use lipo. It shall be faster.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:11 PM
kdubbz

Hey got my order from tower now I have the correct pinion. I am jus stumped on mounting the motor on there good. Anyone have some detailed Pictures on how they mounted theirs on? Zip tie it or some how get screws theu the plastic onto the metal like a normal RC Car? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:09 PM
vwfreak

I used a wide zip tie around the motor to hold it in place.
A few small holes were drilled to allow the wide strap to fit. Very easy to undo if needed later too.
I'm about to take my nitro sled out again this afternoon. Maybe a new video if the snow lets up a bit.

Post some pics when your finished.

vwfreak,

Name:	Pn38077.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	378657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83649.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	378658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82599.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	378659  
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 PM
entity
Banned

My brand new sled is up for sale now for 78.00 plus shipping.. let me know. Ronald.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:18 PM
kdubbz

OK I got it held down, Now I need a new ESC as this crappy ESC will not go foward when i press the throttle foward. It runs backwards for some reason. If I can get it to go foward it goes at a slow speed, which reverse is but if I go in reverse the speed is what it should be when going foward... later as my friend has my good battery packs I can test untill tommorow
Old 12-31-2005, 06:22 PM
entity
Banned

you have your polarities reversed.. Now on ebay. Bigger better sled.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6026402349
Old 12-31-2005, 06:38 PM
kdubbz

Oh so is the Motor Positive and Negative are reversed? i am pretty sure theyre correct...

Ok well I am sure the battery and the Motor and reciever are wired correctly. The ESC gets very hot very fast so somthuing is backwards. What happens is that I use it but it slows after a minute and stops working completly, then after about like 2 or 3 minutes it will work again then die fast again. Whats up with this ESC? i sent it back to the company (Dynamite) and they sent it back saying it was setup incorrectly, But ive set it up like 10 times already and the same result of the foward usuing reverse and reverse usuing foward. im stumped.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:43 PM
kwiktsi

Hey Entity- email me at [email protected] I may be interested in the snowmobile. Thanks.
Joe
ORIGINAL: entity

you have your polarities reversed.. Now on ebay. Bigger better sled.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6026402349
Old 12-31-2005, 10:07 PM
kdubbz

Ok, Well I hooked up my expensice ESC and it works good, jus seems that after about 1 minute of run time the motor gets really hot. The esc isent that bad but the motor get hot quick. Mebay the 14T pinion is to blame? to small to big? how are you guys gearing yours? later.

EDIT: I jus ran it again, the snow is perfect! The motor is defninitly overheating. It gets hot after a short usage. i could smell it burning and I still can. It must be geared wrong. ESC and battery werent very hot, not hotter then normal. Need to fix that gearing, gear higher or lower?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:47 AM
kwiktsi

That doesn't sound right. What motor are you using? I am running an 18 tooth gear in mine with a 19 turn motor and I am barely working the motor. I feel I can get away with a 21 tooth pinion. With a 14 tooth, there is no way you should be overloading the motor. I could see *maybe* if you had like a 9 turn or something. I would check the timing on the motor, the condition of the motor and the gear mesh to make sure you aren't too tight. You should be plenty safe with the 14 tooth on there.
Joe
ORIGINAL: kdubbz

Ok, Well I hooked up my expensice ESC and it works good, jus seems that after about 1 minute of run time the motor gets really hot. The esc isent that bad but the motor get hot quick. Mebay the 14T pinion is to blame? to small to big? how are you guys gearing yours? later.

EDIT: I jus ran it again, the snow is perfect! The motor is defninitly overheating. It gets hot after a short usage. i could smell it burning and I still can. It must be geared wrong. ESC and battery werent very hot, not hotter then normal. Need to fix that gearing, gear higher or lower?
Old 01-01-2006, 01:32 AM
kdubbz

It is a 27T Birdman stocker motor. I think the gear mesh is to tight... Im gonn have to look at that but I think that would be hte culprit. Later.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:04 AM
bumper313

just in case anyone is looking to buy one of these New Bright " ski-doo" sleds. i don't know if this is everywhere, but i just saw them at my local wal-mart in MD for $77 u.s., before christmas they were $99. they had about 20 or so red ones and 20 or so yellow ones.

Bumper313
Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 AM
vwfreak

Had it out today with its new motor & clutch combo.
Still breaking it in. but gives you an idea from an onboard view.[8D]

Wanna go for a ride?

http://media.putfile.com/000_0427_0001

vwfreak,

*Happy New Year!*
Old 01-01-2006, 09:46 AM
kwiktsi

Pretty cool. Any of you guys wear through your ski's yet? Mine have holes in them from hitting pavement and such. I made metal "skegs" for them out of coat hanger wire, but the front end is so sloppy on these things that it just pulls the skis out and plows through the snow now. I'm going to my LHS today to get all turnbuckles and such to set up the front end with real suspension arms and steering linkage. Hopefully that will tighten it up a lot and keep the skis straight. Hopefully I can get it to work with the skegs on it. If not, do you guys know if the ski bottoms are available?
Joe
Old 01-01-2006, 10:55 AM
motorbikemikexb9

Kdubbs,

What esc are you running now? Also check to see if the track turms freely or if there is some binding somewhere. Check your brushes on the motor too.

I'm running a 12-2 trinity motor, 14 tooth pinion, with a Novak rooster ESC. I can run for about 20 min on a 3600 6 cell pack without even getting warm.

A tip for setting your gear mesh: Squish a pice of notebook paper between the two gears while you tighten the motor down. rotate the gears to get the paper out. they shoud have just a little slop and your good to go.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:59 AM
motorbikemikexb9

VwFreak,

Awesome Vid. For a onboard... the video and audio are excellent. What camera are you using? I want to put a system like that on one of my planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.