Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

New Bright Ski-Doo MXZ - bearings?

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

New Bright Ski-Doo MXZ - bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:36 PM
EdmontonBruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bright Ski-Doo MXZ - bearings?

Hello all. Started a new post because I could not reply in the other 2 ski-doo forums. I picked up one of these this week-end and have begun ripping out the electronics, etc. Has anyone replaced the white plastic bushings with ball bearings? If so, what size were used and what mods to install them? Also, will a 20 turn with stock gearing and 7 cells work all right in this sled? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:06 AM
mnkay

Default RE: New Bright Ski-Doo MXZ - bearings?

The hex tunnel drive gear will only house a bearing if it is rounded to 4mm. They do sell 4mmx10mm bearings at your local hobby shop. You can also run 5x10 or 5x11mm bearings with 5mm threaded rod. Use nuts to lock the tunnel drive wheels into place. You will also need 5mm shims. The high speed bearings fit exactly in the original nylon slots. If you are going for speed then you need bearings. It is time consuming to set up but is worth it in the end when you can spin your track easier.

If you leave enough threaded rod at the other end, then you can add disc brakes. I will show you later on. $2-3 for the SEALED 5x10mm bearings with 5mm shims. 5mm nuts and patience.

If you want to house the motor (which is a bigger diameter) and use it like the stock then you can actually raise the bearing position to sit the needed distance for the pinion gear to fit neatly and squared in the original casing. Basically it brings the track closer to the top but not touching. You can bring it up about a half inch. Build a new bearing seat at that position on each side and you are set. Try and secure the transmission with a bottom cradle Jb welded to the bottom of the skidoo. DO NOT USE SCREWS! JB weld. Scuff the area first and clean of excess plastic and do your stuff. The cradle will help with twist which resilts in disaster. Along with the bearings, you should be set for power.

Anymore questions, just ask
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM
EdmontonBruiser

Thanks for the info. i'll give the bearings a try. I agree on securing the transmission a little better. I have a zip tie around the motor for now (as see in pics in other topic) but there is still some amount of flex. I'll give nitro a try (and disk brakes) once electric starts getting boring. I haven't taken it out in the snow (not much in Edmonton right now) since adding the Tamiya 23 turn, Novak GTX, hitec 625MG, and 7 cell GP3300's. I did manage to gut the rear suspension of all the plastic links and add a traxxas big bore shock at the rear - got me full, soft travel. Up front, I just swapped out the spings for a pair of 1/8 buggy rears - seemed to soften up the suspension alot - are oil filled shocks up front worth it? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:27 AM
joe slrn

hi there my moded electric mxz is ok but the trannys kind of beat is there a way to make it belt driven???[>:]