Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Paint compatibility

Old 09-21-2022, 08:14 AM
Navy_Flyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint compatibility

I was very lucky to find a few cans of Monkote LustreKote at the local hobby shop. Had been there obviously for quite some time, they had a layer of dust on them. Anyway, bought two cans of Jet White and one can of clear. In painting my latest project, I used Rustoleum white primer, sanded between coats. Put down the base coat of Jet White and it turned out fantastic. For the trim color, I could not find any 'fuelproof' paint (for nitro) so I sprayed Rustoleum color. Turned out beautifully. Then my thought was to fuel proof the Rustoleum by spraying the LustreKote Clear over it. After waiting for the Rustoleum to cure for 48 hours (as it says on the can), I sprayed a light coat of clear over it. Waited 5 min, and sprayed another light coat. Looking good. After another 5 min, sprayed a bit heavier coat (as it is instructed on the can). Set the plane aside to dry. Went back to look in about 30 min - and the entire color coat had wrinked/alligatored. Arggggggg! I had to wait a couple of days for the clear to cure, then sanded it all off - what a royal PIA. Re-sprayed with Rustoleum color and it is back to looking OK, but not perfect - so I am saying it now has some 'character', but I am still pissed about it.
So fair warning - if you still have any MonoKote LusterKote laying around, it's excellent and looks terrific - but is not compatible with Rustoleum. I should have done a scrap test first!

AFTER

After wet-sanding.

BEFORE
Old 09-24-2022, 07:04 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

System 3 marine water based paints work great for me. I have found the paint fuel proof to at least 15% nitro when using the crosslinker. Apply with a foam brush.

https://www.systemthree.com/products...-topside-paint

Old Today, 07:46 AM
Henpecked

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Argh! That is never any fun. However, and unfortunately.... seen that happen with a straight recoat of the same kind of paint and can. Feel for you. The mysteries of painting. What I find amazing was you finding Lustrekote anywhere..... Glow plane painting is completely being ignored in the RC plane industry at this point.
Old Today, 12:25 PM
Navy_Flyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Henpecked;[url=tel:12745824
12745824]Argh! That is never any fun. However, and unfortunately.... seen that happen with a straight recoat of the same kind of paint and can. Feel for you. The mysteries of painting. What I find amazing was you finding Lustrekote anywhere..... Glow plane painting is completely being ignored in the RC plane industry at this point.
I agree I was very lucky to find it. I used it all! Here is the final product - except for minor areas where I know the wrinkling was deep it still came out pretty good.

Last edited by Navy_Flyer; Today at 07:38 PM.
Old Today, 01:50 PM
Henpecked

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks pretty sexy! Shame we can't get fuel proof hobby paint anymore. I think there was four different brands at one point. maybe more of you add colored dope and such.
The following users liked this post:
Navy_Flyer (Today)