Community
Search
Notices
VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying Discuss VPP - Variable Pitch Prop 4D flying in this forum

Great Planes VPP

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Great Planes VPP

I got the VPP set up on the Turmoil and with the normal flight mode set at 0 to 100% on the engine and the prop fixed at 60% it flys awesome. With the idle up 1 set and the prop +-100% and the throttle set as per instructions, I lose most of the RPMs when the prop gets over 60%. It won't even fly forward with the power it looses. I cut the pitch down to 60% and it works, but not well, not even close to the advertised results.

Any ideas on how to keep the RPMs up? I haven't tried playing with the govenor in the speed control yet. That is probably what I am going to have to do. I just haven't had time to figure out how to set it up yet. The Turmoil is a fun plane to fly so far. They were on sale at tower for $20. I would suggetst buying many at that if you want that kind of plane. Its a good price. You have to learn some things about putting their hinge system on, but once you figure that out, its a pretty nice kit. Nothing huge to build.

Any ideas you have on getting more RPM out of this motor in idle up would be appreciated. I haven't playes with electrics before.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
FLYBOY

Default RE: Great Planes VPP

I have flown the VPP a few times and set the BL-12 speed control many different ways. So far my conclusion is this. If you are flying with the prop at a fixed 60 % of pitch, it works fine. If you start moving the prop, and get it over 60 %, it over powers the motor and slows it down. I called tower and they passed me to great planes tech dept which was about as worthless as you could get. He knew less about it than I did. I have quite a few flights on the turmoil now and as long as I keep the prop pitch less than 60%, it works fine, but will not stop in a vertical descent. It will hover nose down if you start from zero airspeed. The pushrods don't take the vibration well and break which can cause problems with control. I got lucky and got it down though.

So far, its a neat toy, but the motor that comes with it is way underpowered and will not do what they advertise. Don't expect help from them, from what I can get, they haven't done much with it. It seems like a hurry and get it on the market product and they didn't do enough testing. I will probably try some other brands to see if they have more power. The concept is cool as heck, I just haven't been able to get this one to perform as advertised.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:42 PM
FLYBOY

Update, I flew the VPP Saturday at an airshow we had. It was about the 5th flight for it. I have backed the pitch down to 60% for all flight modes and I could get it to hover nose down, but not go backwards or stop a dive. I did one nose down hover for a few secs and was flying forward and rolling and my friend said "is that thing supposed to be smoking?"

Needless to say, very few flights, and the speed control and motor smoked. I will send it back this week and see what they will do about it. Hopefully that was the problem all along. Something in it had to be bad. I can't see overloading it flying like I was. I wasn't even into the hard core 4D yet. I am wondering if this setup is worth the trouble.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
FLYBOY

Well, tower replaced the motor and speed control. I sure wish there were others on here using these so I could compare setups. I really hate to set it up the same and burn it up again. I know I wasn't over speeding it or over powering it. Hopefully it was just a fluke.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:45 AM
3DForrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flow one and did not like it.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 AM
hellblastervolly

I have one but haven't fly it yet Im still building my bipe for it.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:00 PM
cosmic
My Feedback: (2)

Run it on a watt meter and set the pitch - and + at the max amps for your motor.. Very easy to over amp your motor with to much pitch..
Old 08-24-2006, 04:19 AM
hellblastervolly

I agree with Cosmic. Check the new 3D Flyer magazine it talk about that and how to set it.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 AM
FLYBOY

I got rid of it and got a different motor. I am setting up the VPP on it, but I bought the VPP from Hobby lobby and it was a huge waste of money. I am building my own from a heli tail rotor system I got. Hopefully it will work well.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 PM
hellblastervolly

Yes the one from Hobby lobby im not sure of that one, don't look to powerfull. If I have to get another one I may try the haker. Im done building and now Im working with the VPP set up we'll see what happen.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:41 AM
hellblastervolly

Well I have been playing with my radio settings for a week now and so far it look good. Tomorrow I may go and fly my bipe I'll let you know how it go. Plus I may take some pics and post them.