Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera DragonFly #35 CCPM Electric RC Helicopter Reviews

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera DragonFly #35 CCPM Electric RC Helicopter Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 05:55 AM
chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera DragonFly #35 CCPM Electric RC Helicopter Reviews

Did you run the motor in?
Do you know if your battery is fully charged?
Ps be careful thinking upgrading things is going to make them stronger, almost any heli that makes contact between the tail and the ground is going to shear something, plain physics of this world i am afraid, if you start putting metal gears on they will remain intact but the next thing down the line will be damaged and usually costs more than a pinion or gear.
The best way to get around the fragility of these machines is to do everything to avoid crashing, ie using sim, using training gears,not flying out of your ability. think twice act once,if it shakes on the ground dont think it will disapear in the air,it,ll proably get worse(this the reason my 22a never left the ground and i got to many other heli that just fly so dont have time to rework all the faulty bits in to something that is acceptable.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:06 AM
chronus

ORIGINAL: casey67

Alright well I ordered this Walkera RC Helicopter off hobbyjapan2000.com and got totally scammed this helicopter is total junk. I was even in total contact with the company before during and after I ordered this product the whole time being told about how there defective rate was super low because of how they fly there helicopters three times before being shipped. Well this was also total BS (Bull S@#$!!). First off let me just say that I would never recommend doing business with hobbyjapan2000 they lied to me the whole time about the helicopter as well as charge me for the return postage on the helicopter after a MILLION questions about how the damage to the helicopter was probably my fault. Anyway I am no idiot to helicopters I fly them for the US Army currently so I might be new at the RC world but defiantly not the idea of helicopters and when I got the Walkera it looked great and I was excited about flying it. So being my first time dealing with RC helicopters I went to the local hobby shop because I new the owner and we put it into a weighted stand and turned it on. As soon as we turned on the radio the servos were acting crazy like moving on there own and adjusting pitch on the blades almost like we were getting radio interference from somewhere so we moved to a different location a couple blocks out of town still the same thing was going on. After about 10 min of just letting them freak out they started to calm down so we felt comfortable about seeing if we could get the Walkera to flight speed. Keep in mind this is still in the weighted mount and it was a good thing to because we didn’t so much as have the helicopter to 1/3 of its flight speed when it started vibrating so bad we thought it was going to flip the mount on its side. So we put it back to idle and called it a day I have packed it up and am now trying to get my money back but having to fight about that also. If we would have let that helicopter get to full flight speed or even half for that matter it would have shaken its self apart it was not only a safety risk but not what I agreed to when I ordered it, so this “ready to fly†helicopter was far from it. My recommendation is to avoid the Walkera as well as Hobbyjapan2000 all together save yourself some time, money and the headache of dealing with a bad company. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:29 AM
bhermer

Hi chronus,

I didn't run the motor in, didn't realize I had to, I have run the heli for 2 full charges now, is it too late?How do I do this if not? As for vibrations, the heli seems fine, all balanced out great.

Battery is good, I bought a decent one to replace the NiCAD with a good charger, I never even used the NiCAD as the flight time with it was 5 minutes even in the manual (probably means three!)

Can you tell me what the two dials on the TX are supposed to do?

Thanks

Ben
Old 03-06-2005, 01:44 PM
chronus

Ben i cant tell you what those buttons do as they are unique to your heli i think but i am sure i saw apost in here explaining http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Wale...2627203/tm.htm .
re running the motor! it is getting less common these days as brushles and liths take over but any brushed motor needs to be run in if you want max power and efficiency out of it.
You need to do this when it is unused the reeason being that when the brushes are new they are not bedded in tot he shape of the commutator,when you dont run in a motor you can cause arking on the com wich can lead to glitching in the heli.
To run in , it is notrmally just run unloaded(out of the heli) with a cuople of aa batterys for an hour or so, when the brushes ar bedded into the com they will give more contact between them and will not arc, will be more efficient and will have more power.
A quicker way to run in the motor is with the same aa batterys and run the motor completely submerged in a glass of disstilled water for about a minute each way, take out and shake/dry then run the same again in a cup of cleaning fluid or wd40(electrical). then relube the end bells with a tiny bit of oil.
with a brushed motor you will notice the speed and efficiency drop quite rapidly as the comm picks up carbon material from the brushes making the contact less.
When i used brushed motors(in heli especially) i would run the motor in wd40 every ten or so flights and it would be like as new again.

How do you know your battery is fully charged?does the charger say so or do you test the voltage with a meter? you need to know this before you start to break the chopper down and find your problem.When working with heli and trying to solve problem you must start with the things you know must work and do work so they can be illiminated.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:08 AM
K_Martin

Well, just received mine. I like it so far, but I haven't gotten it off the ground yet. I read about breaking in the motor and have done that. I'll post again when I've had a chance to try it. I am also going to try my own receiver, gyro and speed control in it, if anyone needs an extra transmitter, receiver, or gyro, email me.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:21 AM
bhermer

Well, I think I found the problem with mine, something was binding my motor, I was hovering on sunday, 95% throttle at about 4 feet high, just practising hovering and the blooming thing all of a sudden shot 25 feet in the air!! it was like the brake had been released!! unfortunatly I kinda lost control on the way down and mashed the main prop when I landed/crashed causing £30 worth of damage!!

I took out the main motor placement screws and there was scoring on the end of one so I guess one of the screwws was to far in and grinding on the top of the rotor, finally it ground away and released the motor!!

May be worth checking this when you get a new one!

Old 03-07-2005, 03:10 PM
rich_hodgetts

Here are a couple of posts I placed in another forum - they generated little interest before maybe useful for someone trying to make a decision.

Okay, it has arrived!

No import duty - item was sent via EMS post (trackable all the way through the parcelforce website).

It appears to be functional and includes everything I asked for. Here is a list:
Heli (4 servo's, reciever/speed control, separate gyro (says tail lock).
Transmitter
NiMh pack
1050 LiPo pack (was supposed to be 1200mAh but only £11!)
NiMh Charger 2 pin
Lipo Charger 2 pin
English (ish) instruction manual.
A VCD of somebody flying a Honey Bee 2 (a bit pointless!)
A training undercarriage kit
Spare blades (different to the original set)
Simulator cable
2 extra different pinions
3 allen keys
Spare double sided foam pads
Cut out cardboard pitch gauge.

My only gripe so far is that the blades that are included (both sets) are plastic rather than the carbon ones shown in the ebay adverts.

The quality of the thing seems okay, the servos look really cheap and I don't know if they will last long! The packs are charging as we speak!

I have tightened up a few loose bolts and adjusted the main motor mesh as well as running it in a little outside of the helicopter.

Ill let you know when I take the plunge and fly the thing.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:06 PM
OperaGhost

chronus, dont take my comments personally-i am sorry you had a bad experience with walkera (hobbyjapan2000 most of all). I also have, and seek to make my experiences both positive and negative available to all.

a note regarding setting the motors up, this should be done with any direct drive system, btw...

the walkeras at least seem to come set very 'tight'. i did what the instructions say, tho (and chronus will love this...) you are lucky if you get instructions in english...
1st, loosen the tail rotor mount. move it back, away from the motor EVER SO SLIGHTLY!!!! you dont even need to see it move back. just take a lil bit of tension out between
the gear teeth and the tail boom gear.
Retighten.
Next, loosen the motor up, it should shift. again, it should shift only slightly.
retighten.

Some say you should also do the tail boom itself, i have not found it necessary. The goal is to get the gears to mesh, without burying the teeth into the valley of the next gear. Just loosen it up a bit. I did this with my 35 before running it first time, and a friend of mine did not. the difference is amazing. his would spool down in 2-3 seconds, whereas mine would take 10 or so seconds to spool down. we adjusted his, and its now the same way.

now, a question for you guys...i have a bad servo 'twitch' on my 35, it stops when the xmitter is turned off. it doesnt seem to affect it when its flying, as in, if there is input, it stabilizes. but sitting on the ground 2 of my servos twitch to no end. i dont know if this is due to interference, although i doubt it. The same friend has no problems like this with his 35. again, it doesnt seem to matter when there is control input-but i cant think of this 'twitch' as a good thing!

any ideas?

again, let me restate my opinion as to walkera products. the product is fine, just needs tweaking as do any of these helis. the problem is the distributor (HJ2000).
and chronus, all of our boxes say HELICOPTER, not PLANE, lol.
j/k keep the opinions coming guys-lets just keep them constructive.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:56 PM
chronus

LOL, you mean you got instructions with yours! i got a piece of paper with a photo of a chopper, thankgoodenss the picture was in english
A piece of paper in betwen the gears is a good way to set the mesh, you really want a tiny wiggle in between the gears but the sound and the feel will direct you to the right spot, smooth and quiet as possible.
Try relocating your aerial, to get rid of glitch.
Constructivelty i would try and avoid these choppers in the first place but yes like anything it can be made to work if put the time and brains into it.(sometimes this not good for a newbie though)
Old 03-07-2005, 06:22 PM
OperaGhost

its almost funny...i like these helis, but the distributor STINKS! The 22a a, is NOT a beginner chopper, in my opinion.
now for the funny part, the 22a came with a manual, in some language that i cant understand. my friends 35 came with an english manual. my 35 came with both!
...but nothing for the radio or gyro!!!!

i still like the 22, when its all gotten in one sock it will be a really nice heli. the 35 has a much easier learning curve, and should be just as capable as the 22a, maybe a bit slower due to weight...

i think i got one of the servos lined out, there is a pin that was loose. a preflight check of servo settles it down. but the other, still jitters. im working with rerouting all the connecting wires, as that seemed to help with the first issue. still workin on servo number two.

to reiterate point about gears...a piece of paper would work fine, if one doesnt have a feel. Im a machinist, lol, so i go by feel. the point of this operation is to make them loose, without making them sloppy. its prolly sufficient to simply loosen and retighten. The helis are good, in my experience, but the supplier is not so good. take much care when ordering. stay on them via email. after the 22a, we specifically requested, several times, to NOT set them up. just leave the heli in the box and ship it, as ordered.

a rank newbie can set them up better.

happy flying!
Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 PM
R-Rudder

I've had the D22 for 3 months and have been very happy with it. I kind of get bored with the D22's limited capability and not challenge enough. What would be the next good helicopter to get? D22A or D35?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
OperaGhost

wow, this is a hard question....

remember, its just my opinion...

i would probably go with the 35, or even a honeybee 2.

the 35 is a totally different head/hub system, also the main gear is different.

the 22 is nice, but that damned main gear is crap, even tho i like the heli. I would go with a 35.

feel free to email me with specifics, and ill tell you what (little) i know. [email protected].

happy flying!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
OperaGhost

i forgot to add, that if you are fairly competent, then go 22. its a hot rod. VERY capable of 3d.....but bear in mind that fragile main gear and its NOT a beginner heli, in my opinion.
also, stay with the stock gyro, the telebee400 doesnt seem to work as well. again, just my experiences, you may do better. The 22a doesnt tolerate mistakes easy, its a fast, hi performance machine. the 35, while being 3d capable, is bigger, heavier, and more stable and docile so far. plus, its bigger, so you can add more stuff. ;p
Old 03-07-2005, 09:48 PM
chronus

In all fairness i think the 22a is a low quality copy of a high quality machine, my reasoning being other than the misfitting parts i have never seen any evidence(ievideo) of one being flown like the hornet, i,ll eat my hat if i someone produces a draganfly 22a doing this http://www.helihobby.com/html/rc_hel...rs_videos.html, download hornet vid with this blurb ""A beautifully flown Hornet II. This flyer has unbelievable skill Flown superbly."
i think the flyer has alot to do with it but there is no way the 22a can do these moves and guarantee to get it back in one piece.
show me the proof and i,ll eat my hat(i,ll have to buy one)
anyway enjoy the vid,enspires me everyday
Old 03-08-2005, 04:56 AM
OperaGhost

the 22a is a good heli, but its NOT for the beginner. some reviews have said the famous words,"suitable for the beginner"-its not.
let me clarify, i believe that its twice the heli at half the price. with a few mods, its every bit as good, if not better than its competitor.
however, if its your first heli, you are in for trouble.

its fast, its strong (in 90% of its airframe) and its light. a recipe for disaster for the 1st time heli pilot.

walkera makes cheaper knock offs of other brands (we have an hb2 in the fleet as well-and have similiar problems).......the product is fine. but be careful.

if you order a 22a, or a 35 and expect it hover out of the box, you will be dissapointed. You will repair them both anyway. I personally like the 35 a lot.
even tho i blew my head up tonite, lol....bad servo. yes chronus, bad servo....

parts on order, will update.

to all, be careful, and im not suckin up to chronus.....whatever you buy, research, read, then do more, and go slow.

start with an FP. i think it will save money in the long run. and Do talk to anyone you know about helis. take the good the bad and anything else.
if there is no club (there is not here) then post. you will find out what you need to know.

im drinking lol, sorry, but my 35 is down for the next 3 days....oh well, gives me time to mount up lights....

happy flying

Old 03-08-2005, 05:48 AM
chronus

And believe me i am not sucking up to opera house and i aint bin drinking but pretty much agree with everything you say, very wise words, i guess my Crusade if any as you put it is to alert potential new flyer to what you say, its the price that attracts a bigger audience and not a safe "toy" if used carelesly and not a miracle recipe for sucess if really interested in flying helis.There are better options for a little more but take away 80%of potential problems(inmyho) i have seen goood reports with the 22d(motor tail so lots of potential problems disapear so would recomend that over the 22a anyday(but then there is awhole list of fp choppers out there, where does it end.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:57 PM
big triv 69

can you please let me know how it flys as im undecided on what to buy . ive heard such bad reports and a few good ones and dont know what to go for as now ive seen a dragonfly and also a stamina for sale at around the same money but cant yet find any reveiws on the stamina.
thanx mark .
Old 03-08-2005, 05:22 PM
bhermer

My 35 flys OK, I am a bit of a novice, so hovering and circling is all I can do, but the hovering is fareasier on the 35 than it was on my dragonfly 4CH fix pitch. The higher head speed helps keep it steady. Everything seemed pretty well put together, thoug I took alot of it apart when I got it and put sowing machin oil on the barings and made sure the bolts were all tight.

The heli isnt as gorgiving as my FP, that I could crash again and again with little to no damage, and even when damaged a bit of superglue got it oing again!!

If you have NO experience with heli's then a cheap draginfly fp from ebay is a good bet cos you can afford to hit the wall/floor/ceiling a few times!!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Raptor50se

Hi, Have you recieved a replacement battery yet?

I have emailed a few people who have bought this heli off ebay and are happy with there's. A guy in the UK saids his flys like his Raptor 30
Old 03-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Raptor50se

Hi, I put wood blades on my Walkera Dragonfly 4ch heli and it flies heaps better. Outdoor flying is possible upto about 15 knot winds.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Raptor50se

Hi, I have a Raptor 50SE with Futaba 9252's and Futaba 601 Gyro with Futaba 9251, OS 50 Hyper engine, SAB 600mm carbon blades. The Walkera doesn't compare but for a novice to the hobby I would recommend it as it does fly ok. I like to flip mine fly inverted etc it works ok. Guys in my club have upgraded their's with Hacker motors, better speed controllers etc and they are amazing but for the beginner and even for advanced pilots you can have alot of fun with this heli. I mean for $350 on ebay complete not bad. I paid extra $60 and bought the lipo battery and charger which gets about 20min.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 AM
bhermer

Hi Raptor50se,

I would love to see it! It is good to see these things flown properly, I am still trying to fly mine nose in (and crashing trying!!) any tips on learning to fly nose in? I can hover fine, fly in a circle etc, but I get into a real muddle when the bird is coming towards me! unfortunatly we dont have a club near me so I cant find and expert anywhere!!

PS have you got a video of your 35 inverted etc!! If you dont have webspace, email it to me and I will host it and post it here!!

Ben
Old 03-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Dragonflopper

Probably a little late to post this and it is just slightly off topic of the 35, but I ordered a 22D from the same people and when I got it the TX throttle was operating the swashplate like the steering stick should. After a billion emails to HobbyJapan, and being left hanging by the tech dept., finally they send me photos of TX internally and my wires aren't even connected right. Hmmmmm....tested 3 times before shipping.
Anyway got it connected right. Then tail pitch control servo started twitching and never would stop.Then gear that drives tail rotor shaft gear stripped before I used one batt.
Don't get anything from Walkera if you haven't already.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:45 AM
bhermer

Sounds like somebody tried to switch your TX from Mode 1 to Mode 2, something I had to do when I first got my Dragonfly, came with the throttle on the right, of all things!! Almost as crazy as driving a car on the right!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
cptsnoopy

well im as new as anyone it seems. i did get lucky though and my first elect heli was given to me so no money out there. it was the walkera DF4 and other than needing the blades balanced and the blade to hub screws tighened it flew great. then, both servos went bad and i had a little trouble with the tail motor but it seems fine now after a looksy into it. i just got a used 22d and it seems ok. the blades are already balanced and it seems to run fine. the servos chatter quite alot. the worst is the left-right cyclic. if i push the control stick to the right and release it is almost quiet. as far as i can tell these are original walkera 22d servos. i am going to buy three GWS servos and see if the chatter goes away. it did when i replaced the servos on the DF4. i am having trouble with the tail on the 22d being a bit unstable. i am hoping the new servos may prove to be the fix for the random tail turn... if I see a good deal on a #35 it will be the next in the stable... one thing i have noticed so far from all the reading about walkera heli's is that you cannot just fly them out of the box without risking early failure of the main gear or other component from it not being setup properly at the factory. it's too bad that everyone looking at these does not always know to look for more info before trying to fly them. i think alot more success would be had if walkera would have the buyer look over the heli or get someone who knows how to do that before the first flight. And thanks to everyone here posting their experiences to help educate us newbees!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.