Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera Dragonfly #36

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 PM
E_Heli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera Dragonfly #36

I haven't touch my W#36 for almost a year, dust her off the shelf and plug in a charged battery, the esc didn't arm, all the servos work properly???

Hehehe, probably save the bird from crashing.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
HeliSmith

lol probably. Anyway here's some quick thoughts.

1. Your in idle up mode. (switch n 1 should be on n)
2. Your in throttle hold. (Walkera TX has throttle hold right? Can't remember but switch looks like idle up on the other side)
3. You may have to trim it some negative throttle to get it to arm. This isn't the right way to do it but it works.
4. I guess you could have a faulty connection but I doubt this is it.
5. Your ESC is trash. Mine lasted a month.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
RC1K

I just bought a set of hex drive and a set of hex socket +SH for about $25 total. It's the best deal I had found.
I thought I would pass the info to you guys (I am not related to the business).
http://stores.ebay.com/A-Train-Hobbies

I could not removed the main shaft because the 1.5mm hex screws would not budge with the regular hex key. I finally found a set of hex drive with reasonable price.
Now I could start putting the metal upgrade together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73160.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	788352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84325.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	788353  
Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
mozzzy_2000

Thanks Rollin thunder! Ok one last question for the time being; What's the difference between a regular brushless motor and a outrunner brushless motor?
Thank again
Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM
HeliSmith

I am no expert on motors but an outrunner turns on the outside. The actual can of the motor turns in most cases. The shaft is attached to the can. An inrunner turns at the core and the shaft is attached to the core. An outrunner is typically a cooler running motor. Cooler is more efficient.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:56 PM
HeliSmith

ORIGINAL: RC1K
You should take each screw out one by one and use blue or red threadlock. I use red on my balls and blue on everything else.

Yes red threadlock is harder to get out to change your balls but if the ball is bad you can dremel it off and use vice grips on the screw core.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
robin b

ORIGINAL: HeliSmith

You should take each screw out one by one and use blue or red threadlock. I use red on my balls and blue on everything else.

Yes red threadlock is harder to get out to change your balls but if the ball is bad you can dremel it off and use vice grips on the screw core.
OUCH!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
HeliSmith

lol
Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Rattlecat

Locktite 242 (blue) will hold ok. Use the high strength (red) on gear shafts etc. A good HOT soldering iron will make the gear slip off.

CH
Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 PM
RC1K

ORIGINAL: HeliSmith

Thanks for the tip.
I only have blue so that's what I am gonna use on all.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 AM
bladeboy

good idea i would'nt use red on my ball,s either,,,,[sm=angry_smile.gif]
Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 PM
babyhuey

ORIGINAL: bladeboy

good idea i would'nt use red on my ball,s either,,,,[sm=angry_smile.gif]
Or a Dremel![]
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Rattlecat

There is a special loctite for small screws like 2mm etc. I don't recall the color. Since my neighbor blasted me two days ago with a .50cal deer rifle, WHILE I WAS FLYING, I have been shaken up. Mostly disappointed at hillbillery. It did not make me crash. At least I know now. I thought it was all over.

Another thing to not get on your balls is nitro fuel. I was working on a plane and turned it upside down with the fuel tube off, forgot to drain the tank, and spilled a big purge on them. OOOOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHH !!!!! [:@] It burns !

CH
Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
bladeboy

hey chopchop hope youre ok,,,youre neighbour sound,s like a ******* did he do that out of being nasty toward,s you..??

you should,nt have to put up with that man,,,,

[>:]
Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Rattlecat

It started with them not liking me out at night with my telescope. It eventually evolved to a serious matter. I tried all decent attempts, but no luck. They took something from me I prized more than anyone knows, that being my innocence and trust. By dragging me into a big fight.
Oh well, no one's perfect, not even me, not even me. [&o] (evolved from Doppleganger)

I'll get out of this mess.

CH
Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
HeliSmith

Yeah that's just what you need to do.. Get away from those foos
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Rollin Thunder

Chop
Edit: Redirected as a PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Rollin Thunder

Well guys I'm back in the air My TX came in yesterday. They (Futaba services at Tower) did a good job fixing and sending it back in a hurry. Hopefully that's the last of any TX issues because my warranty expires in less than a month. All the settings were as I left them. Went to the field yesterday after work and found that one of my new Mystery 12C lipos was toast. It acted like it was dead but still had 4v per cell when I got home. It performed like a 12C when it was new. Problem is they get so hot that that doesn't last long. It's 15C from here on out. The heli is still going strong. haven't had to do anything but change lipos for a long time now. It's been staying in track and all the rest. Switching to the Shogun/Rex hybrid head has turned out to be a solid mod.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
HeliSmith

Great to hear my brother except for the battery. Yeah you are a mad scientist. I have been working on my sons heli and flying my 450 at high altitudes. I still have the 36 complete with two metal heads except minus the tail. It even still has the blades mounted and the head level. Going to put it back up soon. That will be my son's first cp heli so when he crashes I will just bend things back.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
babyhuey

ORIGINAL: Rollin Thunder

Well guys I'm back in the air My TX came in yesterday. They (Futaba services at Tower) did a good job fixing and sending it back in a hurry. Hopefully that's the last of any TX issues because my warranty expires in less than a month. All the settings were as I left them. Went to the field yesterday after work and found that one of my new Mystery 12C lipos was toast. It acted like it was dead but still had 4v per cell when I got home. It performed like a 12C when it was new. Problem is they get so hot that that doesn't last long. It's 15C from here on out. The heli is still going strong. haven't had to do anything but change lipos for a long time now. It's been staying in track and all the rest. Switching to the Shogun/Rex hybrid head has turned out to be a solid mod.
Hi RT,
Where can I find out about the hybrid head that you are running? I love my 36 but any improvement would be great.
I am currently experimenting on a 37 with a 60 alloy head and tail. I call it my WREX.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Huey
Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 PM
bladeboy

lol,,babyhuey i see you sneaking a look at the 37 thread[sm=71_71.gif],,
Have you got one of these ..??
How are they,,
Old 10-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Rattlecat

My DF36 head was getting so worn I could barely land because it would pop or drop sharply. Changing blade pitch up or down near 0* pitch was a real twitch. I had almost 150 flights on that washout base. I usually only went 60 or so.
So I saw the Microheli Aluminum/brass washout base and started to buy it, but decided to test something. I machined some tophat style brass bushings and machined a stock plastic washout base to fit them to. I machined an anti rotation assembly, and grooved the brass bushing to fit a Trex flybar end used as the anti rotation pin. I found in the photo that the flybar rod is a little bent to the side, but it does not bind. Only a test, I'd rather have the Microheli washout base, or the EF Shogun plastic.
Stay tuned for the next exciting test flight. I have been putting this off for over a year, but saw Rollin was working on the same problem. If I had found the EF Shogun washout base, I would have tried it. HeliDirect sells the NICE Microheli version as a Shogun upgrade. I had to use the plastic base because I don't have a mill bit to cut the pitchblock groove, and I would also have to make a custom broach to get the corners square. So, I think the plastic base part will be a better match for the pitchblock anyway.
Plz excuse the bad focus in the second photo, it's past midnight and I think I have gnats buzzing in my eyes. I fix it tomorrow.

Hey, Rollin, I can get by with this stupid thing I am about to write since it's past midnight, but many years ago, I got a head injury by a girl ROLLIN down a hill in a garbage can. True story !

CH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50680.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	790569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31244.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	790570  
Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Rollin Thunder

helismith

how's the #4? Looking forward to building (ummm, yea. flying) my own. Did you go with the belt or brushless? I'm definitely going for the brushless. just keeping it simple and fun........(the hole point to a supped up #4) Damn! That thing is fun!............ So is the 36 but it's a bigger responsibility. Sort of sucks some of the fun out. Although with a few well thought out mods.....the 36 can be just as reliable but not as "forgiving"
Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Rollin Thunder

Chop

LOL................ Your right, I was workin on anti rotation. Turns out the plastic shogun head takes care of that. The washout arms are so rigid that it keeps the shaft and swash on plane. I guess some shogun heads have the anti-R pins. I just used what they sent from HD (no pins). What I really, really love about the sho head is it's L links. No slop, slow wearing, non popping off L links. Did I mention the L links?.....................add a little Trex performance and you have a "cheap" reliable, 3d machine.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Rollin Thunder

babyhuey

You can find out here. I posted about every step of the way. It's so damn easy, yet so good. Have you read this board? It's late, so I'll post a better answer latter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.