Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

36 Upgrade priorities?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:46 AM
spud4030

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 36 Upgrade priorities?

I've seen some people on this forum enjoy extreme modifications.....barely a resemblance to the original heli that came out of the box.

As a newbie, I'd like some recommendations to prioritize my upgrades.
Metal Head
Metal Tail
brushless motor
ESC
LiPo batteries
new radio gear

Suggestions, and best bang for the buck?????
Old 08-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Jack10525

Default RE: 36 Upgrade priorities?

The way my upgrade path is going I am just replacing what ever I break or burn up as I go. So far I've spent about $100 on parts which include rotor head (I bought the aluminum upgrade parts and some stock), blades, and now I need a main motor. I guess the best thing to do is have a complete back up heli. From reading psots here is seems the concensus is that the electronics are crap (radio and motor) so if you haven't broken anything yet you may want to look into those items first. If I could do it over I probably would have bought something else. Hope you have better luck than me....[&o]
Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

In my opinion,a lipo,brushless motor and ESC would be first on the list.Next would be decent servos because the Walkera servos will not last long.The metal parts are pricey and so is a new radio-I use a Deans RX antenna and don't have any glitches so far.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Ah Clem

Radio (TX and RX)
The ESC is built into the Rx, so you will need to change this too. While you are at it, change to a brushless motor and ESC.
This will also necessitate an upgrade to Lipos.

The gyro in mine seems to work fine.

The servos are sporty, so you might upgrade those as well.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:14 AM
imaparkflyer

Mine would barely fly with the stock set-up and it only lasted about 5 minutes. You will definately want to upgrade the motor, speed control and batter immediately. I'm using the following:

Motor: Align 430L (3550KV) Blue with silver ends
Speed Control: Align 35A Brushless
Battery: Align 2100 mah 10C

This set-up worked out great, plenty of power and about 20 minutes of flight time.
I'm currently having trouble with the drive gear for the tail rotor. The pin that fastens it to the shaft has spun out of the plastic twice now, causing the gear to slip and the heli to do a counter clockwise spin, which can lead you to believe that there is something wrong with your Gyro. I saw something on this, I think in this forum, where someone used a T-Rex metal drive gear with some slight mods and that fixed the problem.

Good Luck and have fun.