Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

1.20 Edge Review, the beginnings

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 07:20 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1.20 Edge Review, the beginnings

Hey Tom, when mounting the wing and it says to use a hose clamp to keep the wing from moving side to side, what is this? I always figured since there was a limited range for the wing tube to move around if it slid from side to side it was no big deal. If I don't put a hose clamp on the wing tube socket, will anything bad happen?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: ben beyer

anthonymio,

do you think the needle valve will extend out of the top of the cowl with the OS 1.60FX? That's the engine I ordered for mine and I don't really want to mess with a piece or wire to adjust the needle valve.
An alternative I've found that works pretty good...I'm starting a collection of 72" planes with OS 1.60's I think....lol

I don't have the edge yet but on my cap and extra with the 1.60 I cut a very very small hole (the exact size of the wire) and put the regular "L" bend in a wire and attach it to the needle (you can screw it on onto the needle from the hole in the front of the cowl) and then paint the wire extension the same color as the cowl. I've done this on a red plane and a white plane so far. From 3 feet away you can't see it at all.

Just something to think about and takes like minutes to do.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:52 PM
ben beyer

Well, with a 1.60, if you mount the needle valve how it comes with the engine, it will stick out. I had to make a hole for the threaded part that accepts the needle valve. Quick tip, remove the rachet spring. I have to buy a new one now, but they're only $1.89.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tom, when mounting the wing and it says to use a hose clamp to keep the wing from moving side to side, what is this? I always figured since there was a limited range for the wing tube to move around if it slid from side to side it was no big deal. If I don't put a hose clamp on the wing tube socket, will anything bad happen?
That instruction is leftover in the manual from another plane where it was needed. Ignore it.

TF
Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 AM
oliflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Charrua,

How does the Edge 120 compares to the Quique Somenzini Yak 54 I see in the back of the picture (flight characteristics, quality,...)? I am trying to make up my mind.

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:06 PM
ben beyer

Anymore 1.20 sized planes of other aircraft in the plans for the future at Wild Hare RC?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
rctom

Not at this time. I've just about reached the limits of what I can do as far as quantity of airplanes.

TF
Old 04-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Bob101

Silversurfer:

I noticed on the pictures on the first 2 pages of the one you did the review it has a yellow/orange (Ok I'm color blind) bunny on the bottom....did it come that way or did you add it? Also the "Edge 540T" on the top and the "WildHare" lettering on the top?

Just curious - just got mine in and it the bottom of the wing is just plain red all over - with a white stripe on one side. If it didn't come like that where'd you get it? Cut it out of vinyl or something?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

mine has the bunny on it but i only inspected the plane for damage and placed it back in the box till last week im such a procrastinator its still in the box
Old 04-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

mine has the bunny on it but i only inspected the plane for damage and placed it back in the box till last week im such a procrastinator its still in the box

Hmm one more question, did you servo lead cutouts in the foam go all the way to the servo bay? Mine end about 2" short - but they do "seem" to be pointed in the right direction. Dunno about that - not sure about "punching" thru the last 2 inches without hitting the sheeting or something...

Yeah my plane came naked - no markings at all or the bunny. Was just looking at it tonight being sure because the fuselage was smashed in beyond repair when it arrived - gotta love UPS (sarcasm). It's not a good sign when you can see the fuselage side of the plane thru the box when it shows up.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 PM
ben beyer

Man, sorry to hear about that. Mine has the yellow bunny on the wing panel and I had the same problem with the aileron servo leads. I just took a dowl rod and punched a hole big enough to get a nut on a string with the lead through.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:53 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

i never check that but when i pop out the plane and start to work on it i will check for that first im sure if it is ill just poke a brass tube through it

this is the first plane WH has shipped to me that the box had no dmg at all UPS hates me but this one slipped through

i love the bunny on the wing though its a big plus on this scheme
Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Bob101

Man, sorry to hear about that. Mine has the yellow bunny on the wing panel and I had the same problem with the aileron servo leads. I just took a dowl rod and punched a hole big enough to get a nut on a string with the lead through.
Yeah I'll probably stick a brass tube or something to open a small hole to be sure I'm gonna hit the servo bay first. Was just looking at it because I'm not sure what the deal is gonna be right now with the damage.

All shippers hate me (and I have them shipped to a business address).

Fedex is pretty good about "misplacing" boxes of a multi box shipment. If I have something sent fedex and it comes in two parts - I"ve yet to get the other half.

UPS once delivered a plane to me - the guy got out and put the box on the ground and re-arranged his truck (this is what his supervisor told me later I wasn't there) and then backed over the box.

If you ask me all damage done by shippers is because....(see attached)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11397.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	264435  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:46 PM
ben beyer

I really wish my pilot and rudder servo would come so I could finish up this bird...
Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 AM
oliflyer

Bob,

Sorry to read about the damage
Mine is on its way, I hope I will be luckier,..., and that the yellow bunny will be there too. ;-)

Could someone tell me the length of the extensions to order for the elevator servos? 24" or 36"? And 12" for the ailerons?

Thanks, Chris.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Bob101

Yeah I'll probably stick a brass tube or something to open a small hole to be sure I'm gonna hit the servo bay first. Was just looking at it because I'm not sure what the deal is gonna be right now with the damage.

All shippers hate me (and I have them shipped to a business address).

Fedex is pretty good about "misplacing" boxes of a multi box shipment. If I have something sent fedex and it comes in two parts - I"ve yet to get the other half.

UPS once delivered a plane to me - the guy got out and put the box on the ground and re-arranged his truck (this is what his supervisor told me later I wasn't there) and then backed over the box.

If you ask me all damage done by shippers is because....(see attached)

This is exactly why I use Greyhound for most airframe shipments now... I just received an airplane that was shipped in a box that was 30" X 30" X 90" via Greyhound... No damage, nada... The box weighed 43lbs... Cost me $51 and only took 4 days to come from Ohio to Texas... Let's see UPS / FedEx match that!!!!

Mark

Old 04-29-2005, 09:17 AM
rctom

Bob101:

The bunny was supposed to be on the wing, also all the other graphics. It sounds like yours was doomed from the start.

You're getting the last one as a replacement. The revised planes will be here in quantity about July 1.

TF
Old 04-29-2005, 09:18 AM
rctom

I really wish my pilot and rudder servo would come so I could finish up this bird...
Where did you order them from? Not WH!

TF
Old 04-29-2005, 09:48 AM
bandjc
My Feedback: (5)

My edge 1.20 came in yesterday without any damage. I was holding my breath that UPS would be kind.
It's a purdy little plane Tom, this thing is gonna sell like hot cakes! I looked at ALL the other planes in this class, for weight, wing area, wing loading, and overall performance, this is the obvious choice. But of course I already knew that because I fly the 28%. This is going to be that plane to trow in the back seat that will do it all, get in practice time, without pulling the trailer to the field. I think this thing will even fit in the wifes Honda Accord through the trunk with the back seat down. Perfect I had an extra with 900 sq inches that I flew for years that came in at 12pounds. This new edge is going to be a floater at 11lbs and 1090sq inches.

On the new ones, where is the second tank tray going to be? My engine is going to be pumped, and I will be building a tray to mount the tank on the CG. I did notice that the tank cannot get far enough back to be centered on the CG, because of the wing tube. And there is not enough space under the wing tube to put the 20oz dubro tank, because of the wood fuse former located directly under and behind the wing tube. And if you had a tank that would fit through the former hole under the wing tube the tank would extend unto the servo/reciever tray and not leave much room for rudder servo and reciever.

What are everyone opinions about this? Will I see much of a differance if the entire tank is mounted 2-3 inches in front of the CG? Or, should I re-work the former under the wing tube, expand the rudder/reciever tray, and center the tank on the CG?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
ben beyer

I used 12" extensions on the ailerons and 16" on the elevator servos. 12" seemed to be too short for the elevator because i routed mine through the turtle deck. I wouldn't go over 18" though. Question: What's the best way to route the antennae?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:32 AM
oliflyer

Thanks Ben.

Bandjc,

Which pump are you going to use? Perry VP30?

Chris.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
bandjc

Yeah, Perry VP30 on OS 1.60FX.
This combo should be awesome in this light plane. After getting it in, and seeing how light it is, I think a 90FX would fly this thing really good, and make a great plane for someone who just wants to do basic arobatics, but for 3d the bigger engines should make this thing rocket out of a hover!
Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
gdmoney

Bandjc,

I've got one of the 1.20 size 540's with what sounds like the same setup you are going to use. I really don't notice any problems with having the tank a couple of inches ahead of cg. I started out with a 2700 mah pack just behind the firewall for the first few flights and then began moving it back. I think I have found the aftmost position at 2-3 inches behind the back of the hatch cover. This equates to approximately 3/4" to 7/8" behind the recommended starting point. By moving the cg back this far my tank is now probably closer to 3 - 3 1/2 inches ahead of cg.Even at this position there is no noticable change of trim from full to empty. All in all this is one great plane that I think you will really enjoy.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:57 AM
bandjc

Thanks gdmoney
So you have your battery positioned where now? Starting CG point is 4 and 1/2 back from leading edge of wing.
You are at 5 and 1/4 now? What kind of 2700 pack is it? Nicad, nimh, lipo? I have a 2700 5 cell nicad, but I was thinking of going with a 2300 lipo to save a little weight (help compensate some for 20oz of nitro.) Also thought about putting a set of ultralight wheels on it to save a few ounces.

Did you build your tank platform straight back from stock location, center of wing with back of tank against the wing tube?
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: rctom

Bob101:

The bunny was supposed to be on the wing, also all the other graphics. It sounds like yours was doomed from the start.

You're getting the last one as a replacement. The revised planes will be here in quantity about July 1.

TF
Yeah I got one of those planes - what do they call them - Friday afternoon or Monday monring ones? Heh

Well like I said in my e-mail just looking and holding the plane I like it already. Feels really light - much lighter than my others of the same size.

Back to the plane....I'm gonna use a 1.60 with a pump. I'm not sure where I'm gonna mount the tank yet - but I've found on my other 1.60's the pump helps it even with a close tank. Running a tank of 20-24oz I've found that when the tank is full you have to set the idle one place - then when it's almost empty you have to set another. Works "ok" but much easier with a pump. For instance: if you take off on a full tank and only fly a 1/4 tank out for some reason you have to manually lower the idle by 5-6 clicks or the plane won't slow down enough to land. But if you fly it down to almost empty it's idling right where it should be....but then when you crank it you have to up it again to keep it running - or maybe it's just my experience with it.

Anyone ever use those BVM crabon fiber hatch latches? Looking at the hatch I think I might get 2 and try them. Put everything inside the plane with no cutouts for the switch, charge lead etc... to keep it real clean (only put the fueler dot on the outside of course) and just take the hatch on/off to turn it on/off etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.