Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

1.20 Edge Review, the beginnings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 08:18 PM
bandjc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1.20 Edge Review, the beginnings

OK here's the pictures before takoff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80746.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	271498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84948.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	271499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18561.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	271500  
Old 05-14-2005, 08:19 PM
bandjc

And here's one just as I started takeoff, and one inflight. If the weather cooperates tomorrow I will get some more flight pictures, and hopefully video.

Name:	Hf99345.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	271501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68841.jpg
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	271502  
Old 05-14-2005, 10:33 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

very cool piks and info thanx

if you can take some piks of the in sides and if you have to take the cowl off snaps some piks of it too
Old 05-14-2005, 11:49 PM
anthonymio

Is that CF gear on your edge? Doesn't look like the standard gear that comes with this beauty - got a CF wing tube too? So it's 11.7 lbs. with the CF gear?

Tony M.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:35 AM
bandjc

That is the standard gear, just painted black.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:41 AM
DepDog60
My Feedback: (23)

bandjc,

Congrats on the maiden and a great build!

DD
Old 05-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Bob101

Well I just got back from a week in Texas and while I was gone all the misc. stuff I ordered has come in. I'm off this week so I'm gonna probably finish it up and fly it soon depending on our unusually windy weather lately.

The carb...I used an OS 1.60 and I rotated mine a little and didn't have any clearance issues with it (but had to cut the tabs on the side of the firewall to clear the muffler in one corner.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that painted the gear...I painted mine to match the white part of the plane and painted the screws to hold the cowl on yellow to match the plane with paint I already had on hand. Now that I've seen yours I wish I had gone black Still haven't decided if I want to spray tint the canopy or dye it...been really wanting to try dye but I may practice on a parts plane first.

Prop clearance. With the plane level I measured and you can get at LEAST a 20" prop on here with plenty of clearence (and that was before I put the main wheels on) so basically any prop you realistically can turn with this thing will fit with tons of room. I usually use an 18x6W apc but I have a menz 19x6 on hand I want to try out for kicks.

Bandjc your plane looks good
Old 05-15-2005, 07:03 PM
bandjc

I got a couple more flights in today.
This plane is awesome.

BOB101
I believe you have been running this engine and pump setup if I remember correctly.
I noticed my low end loading up below 1/4 throttle, transition was lousy down low.
I have leaned the low end a lot, but it seems like it needs more.
I have about a gallon throough it now, is it safe to lean it on out at this point?
Or should I fly it a little more to break it in more?
No problems with the engine, just slow response down low. Idles for a minute and then
seems to clear it's throat when you advance throttle rapidly.

1/4 and up is ballistic, I love it. It seems like it doesn't want to slow down well coming in for
landing (seems like it's burning off excess full). Still lots of smoke at idle and wide open..

All the guys at the field thought it was a small gasoline engine with smoke on! LOL
Has a great sound to it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Redneck Shaun
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Bandjc,
I have the same motor pump that you do. I broke the motor in per the instruction book for the first two tanks. Then I ran four more tanks through it "really" rich.
After that I got a vp30 pump and installed it. I had a friend help me set it up.
He told me to (#1) take the High speed needle and turn it all the way in. Then turn it open one turn.
#(2) On the low speed needle he told me to turn it in one and a half in from the factory setting.

That got me REAL close. I had to tweek the high speed a little ( I forget wich way) but right now I can let the motor idle very low for 3-4 mins, and then give it full throttle without it hesitating any at all!!!
I have run about a gallon through it now. I just maxed the rpms out and backed it off 300rpms. This thing is running like a sewing machine.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:42 PM
bandjc

Thanks shaun
I am one full turn in on the low from the factory setting, sounds like I need to turn it on in.
The high end needle peaks fine, and I have been backing off just slightly (couple of clicks) from
the peak setting to fly. I think I will turn it in another 1/4 and try it again next weekend.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:50 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

you might have to adjust the pump for less flow.

ORIGINAL: bandjc

I got a couple more flights in today.
This plane is awesome.

BOB101
I believe you have been running this engine and pump setup if I remember correctly.
I noticed my low end loading up below 1/4 throttle, transition was lousy down low.
I have leaned the low end a lot, but it seems like it needs more.
I have about a gallon throough it now, is it safe to lean it on out at this point?
Or should I fly it a little more to break it in more?
No problems with the engine, just slow response down low. Idles for a minute and then
seems to clear it's throat when you advance throttle rapidly.

1/4 and up is ballistic, I love it. It seems like it doesn't want to slow down well coming in for
landing (seems like it's burning off excess full). Still lots of smoke at idle and wide open..

All the guys at the field thought it was a small gasoline engine with smoke on! LOL
Has a great sound to it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Bob101

Yeha you might have to adjust the pump for less flow or turn in the low end or both. After a gallon I'd pretty much set the low end where it needs to be and not worry about it. The engine the more you run it the more you can/have to lean out the low end tho. Even after probably 10 gallons I'm still occasionally turning in my low end just a tad from time to time.

My 1.60's put out a fair amount of smoke at wide open still...but you can't really see it at idle. If you are still heavily smoking at idle I'd lean it out some more. After a gallon throttle response should be really instanteous from idle - no bog etc...When set right I've found the engines to be pretty fuel effecient - well for it's size anyway. On 20 oz. tank I typically fly 10 minutes or so on my timer and land and have about 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank left - and that's pretty aggressive throttle. I have landed after 15 minutes of lazy flying and had a 1/3 left. I run either 5% or 10% in mine. I'll probably run 10% in this one since it's already broken in and it's in the edge which I'll do more aggressive "on the deck" stuff - unlike my pure aerobatic planes.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:50 PM
bandjc

Thanks for the replys.
bob101
I've still got good visible smoke at idle, so I will lean it on down and see what happens, I'd prefer that
to backing off on the pump pressure. I'd like to make sure I have plenty of pressure at low speeds.
I'm at about 4-5 threads out on the pump, and this has worked for me in the past on a couple of engines
that were smaller than this one. (120)
I hope you get your edge together this week. I think you have a lot more experience than I do with
3d. ( I keep my 28% still pretty high). I'm anxious to hear your flight reports.
I never had a capX, but this thing flies really light, not like a fun fly though, it's definetely a high performance
sport plane. Aleron rolls straight ahead, and I did a snap today at about half throttle that rotated 3 times and the plane seemed
to just hang there and wait for me to give it throttle.
I've read on several other threads some guys are using 18x6 pro zinger on their 1.60FX, it weighs
less, and they claim faster spool up. What are your thoughts on this for this plane?
I have no problem with the APC 18x6W, I guess I'm just always searching for the "Perfect" setup.
Fuel economy has been good, I started up today, taxied out set a ten minute timer, landed when it went off, taxied back and
shut it off, I then took off the canopy to check the fuel, I had about 1/5 tank left. Fired it back up and ran it at differant throttle setting to empty the tank for another 4 minutes. The 20oz tank is perfect for this combo for me.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Bob101

I'm no 3-D expert. In fact the other planes I have this size, Soucy Edge and a H9 Cap are purely IMAC style planes and I have them set up that way. When I fly 3-D I fly profiles cheaper that way, but I got the edge to see if I can do the stuff I do with a profile and look good at the same time so we shall see.

I use APC 18x6W and 18x8W a lot. They perform great I just wish they weighed a little less. Never used a zinger, but I have a menz 19x6 on the way. I bet you could turn a 20x6 decent (if you could find a 20" prop with less than 8 pitch) and still be ok. The 1.60 makes a lot of power below 9000 rpm and I've been curiuos to where the sweet spot is. With an APC 18x6W I usually top out at right under 9000 like 8900 on cheap 10% fuel. But back to the original topic I like the 18x6W and they perform well but the weight.. not that they don't spool up fast but all my planes seem to need tail weight after some flights and it would be much easier with a lighter prop.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

the 9400 i had with the 160 was using 15% wildcat total synth and a slimline horizontal pitts muffler

also do not waste any money or time with a zinger or topflight prop the APC out performs those props easly
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
TOLINO

The MVVS 26 gas, is good engine for this plane?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 09:29 AM
bandjc

Lateral balance

Now that I have initial flights out of the way, I want to fine tune everything.
I"m interested in opinions on achieving lateral balance.

Because engine is mounted sideways, this throws lateral balance off to the left.

What are the most common ways to correct this?
I have already mounted battery and other items that could be moved around inside
the fuselage to the right side. But I am still showing that I will need a few ounces way out
on the right wingtip to get plane to balance dead on.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
forellana

normaly moving gear inside the fuse doesn't works you will have to add weigth in the wing tip normally is few.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Bob101

It won't take much weight, maybe an ounce - two at most. Remember your engine weighs 2 pounds but it's located on the centerline with only the head being off centerline by maybe 1-2 inches. Weight out at the wingtip is 37" away from the centerline.

I've never had to add more than 2 ounces to a wingtip on a plane this size. Usually I attach it to the bottom of the wing right at the tip on the CG and epoxy/screw it down when I get it right.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:33 PM
bandjc

Thanks for the replys.
What I'm looking for is specifics,.. what is it? Lead shot, fishing weights, etc..
Do you drill hole in end of wing and insert the weight into the foam and glue it? OR Screw it to the outside, tape it, etc..
I've used several differant methods, I was just trying to get feedback on what other people have done.

Thanks

Bob101
How is your edge coming along?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Bob101

I just use the same lead squares with a hole in it that you balance planes with. Maybe an inch square. If I can find something halfway hard to put a servo scew in that's what I do - harden up the hole with CA and then apply shoo goo or epoxy to the bottom of the lead and tighten it down. BTW shoo goo will dry clear and even if you remeove the screw it's not coming off - so don't put it on anything you ever want to remove.

The more I work on my edge the less desire I have to work on it. Several small things are starting to add up, and while none of it will keep it from flying it is starting to get aggravating.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:03 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Bob,
Like what, can you be more specific about the problems you are having?? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Bob101

Finished mine today. The basic problem I had was lack of fit/glue in places - like the firewall and motor box. The firewall wasn't such a big deal because it was tabbed into the stringers on the box but in the process of drilling the holes for the mount it became apparent it was wiggling. So I reglued and added triangle stock to the back of the firewall - which I already had planned to do - because of cutting off some of the front of it to clear the engine mount/muffler. The motor box stringer at the very back (near the wingtube) wasn't really glued to the former there - and there was an 1/8" to 3/16" gap at the top like the stringers curved inward at the top separating from the former - reglued with tri-stock and clamped and it pulled in.

Anyway it's finished now, all up ready to fly minus wheel pants weight was 10.9 pounds on a digital scale that I know to be accurate within 0.1 pounds. Changes I made that might play into a light aircraft were light Kavan wheels which weigh about half what the dubro ones do ( I already had a bunch of these so I used them), a lightened backplate on the spinner, kevlar pull/pull instead of a steel cable. Other than that it was pretty stock.

Things that added a little weight for a "stock" build were paint on the landing gear, paint on the spinner (painted the wheel pants and spinner white to match the plane and it really brought out the plane - especially the spinner) first time I've painted a spinner so we'll see how it holds up. I followed the suggestions from the tru-turn website and painted with plain lusterkote paint. I replaced the stock metal bolts for the cowl with nylon bolts.

That's about all I deviated from stock and I'm really happy with the weight. I was shooting for 11.5 with pants or less and it looks like I will make that easily. I haven't balanced it so hopefully I'm within spec on that or close to it I can move the battery around, nor have I balanced laterally so that still gives me 0.6 pounds to add wheel pants, balance weight both ways and still make my target. I did not tint my canopy as planned because with the black bottom of the cockpit it "appears" to be a light tint to it and really looks nice. Something I may try on other planes - use the black background.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:44 AM
bandjc

Bob101
Congrats
When will the maiden be?

I got the lateral balance done by adding 3/4oz to the wing tip. Simply drilled a small hole and inserted lead with 5 minute epoxy.
Plane now stalls almost completly flat, but at the last second drops the nose a little and keeps flying.

I spent some more time this weekend flying mine, and I tried the Pro Zinger 18x6 prop out just for kicks. What a piece of junk!
The plane required a third more thottle with the Zinger prop, motor response was quicker, but it's not worth it. So the APC 18x6w went back on the plane.

A lot of guys at the field commented on the plane and how well it looked and flew. I really like this little plane, it's quickly becoming my favorate, sure I like my 28% Edge, but this thing goes quickly into a seat beside me in the truck, and we can run to the field without dragging the trailer.
I say again, it flies so much like the larger edge! Does everything the larger plane does. I bought this plane specifically as a practice plane, a throw in the truck and run to the field to get some stick time in plane. It has done everything that I bought it for in every way.

I am still one very satisfied Wild Hare customer!

Thanks Tom
Old 05-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Bob101

Here it is. Still have a few odds and ends to complete. Maiden maybe late this week. Work is starting to interfere with it.

Name:	Jh16066.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	276066  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.