Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

1.20 Edge Review, the beginnings

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1.20 Edge Review, the beginnings

Tom,
Any updates as to when the second batch will arrive? Thanks, Brian...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:56 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are all built and packed up waiting for the container to leave which should happen in the next few days. After that it's about 35 days.

TF
Old 06-02-2005, 02:19 PM
oliflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Bob,

Is your CG still at 4-9/16"?
I set mine as recommended at 4.5" and I finally flew it last night. I did 6 flights until the battery alarm of my transmiter went off, I "almost" made it but lost the plane a few yards from the runway. It was just a few feet high but the right wing hit first, bent the wing tube (don't know if I will be able to straighten it), smashed the wing root and and cut the fuse is in 2 pieces, there is going to be lots of work .

Before that I really enjoyed it, the OS 1.60 with the Perry pump was doing great, the only mishap was a dead stick on the 3rd flight and some hickups when recovering from inverted after a blender. The plane was still requiring some adjustments but after 3 flights I even done a few blenders, it was amazing, the inverted flat spin was so flat and slow. I added some mixing for the knife edge but still required more. Snap rolls were kind of funny, not really snap but were much better from inverted. Anyway unfortunately it is going to be a while before I can do another blender with this one... .

Here is a picture (before the maiden)... I spare you the picture later in the evening!

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11809.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	279550  
Old 06-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Bob101

I haven't checked the C.G. again to see where it's at. I wound up changing the tail wheel bracket from stock to a sullivan and I lost some weight on the tail. That accounted for the change. Today I added an oz. of tail weight and it went right back to doing a good elevator. Even at 40-45 degrees without the weight on the back it would just mush. Once the tail weight was added the elevator was "ok" at 45deg but at 52 deg it smoothed out the wing rock and came nearly straight down in 10mph wind.

Knife edge is still kind of goofy, it gets really touchy on how much elevator mix it requires to fly level and not pull to canopy. It took a lot to get it level and then if you push down on the elevator at all or mix in just a tad too much it will snap out of it. Tried it with numerous throttle from high speed to low speed and lots of different rudder deflections. Even after 6 flights today that included probably 15 take offs and landings and re-mixing it never has what I would call "locked in" on a knife edge. No way at the presetn time could you even think about doing a knife edge loop, knife edge circle, or a square loop.

If you like flat (real flat) spins, blenders, walls, parachutes - then this is your plane. A lot of airplanes will flat spin - but this one not only gets flat it does it either fast or slow - presenting itself much like a larger airplane - got that float appearance to it. It flattens out with the nose down maybe 10 degrees even with no throttle - just idle. Adding throttle will pick the nose up but then it gets a tad touchy and easy to flop out of - but with more time I'm sure you can pick that up I just don't have the time on the plane to hit the sweet spot with the ailerons and throttle on yet. Blenders go instantly flat , I did a few today since the fog/overcast cleared up and you can blender out of them really low and get it flat then move onto whatever you need to - no need to start the blender way high and then wait for it to get flat. Walls were equally impressive (no full throttle ones for me as the plane is already sold to someone else) but at "normal" speeds it just stops. It's really easy to wall and blip the throttle and come back to yourself on a 45 upline and push it forward for the cobra appearance if your into that.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Bob101

After a near idle wall the wing tube bent. Check em if you still have the originals. Other than 1 wall the most stress I put on this plane was a few snaps. I have probably 15 flights on it now and I've got a huge crack in the the former that ties the engine box straingers together (the rear most one with the big cut out in it). About 1" behind the cockpit up high basically the plane wrinkled between the formers. Sheeting just cracked. Probably the rear of the plane isn't far from coming off. Plane has basically been babied while I figure out throws for elevators and get the knife edge mix down. It hasn't been thrown around at all and I would guess I've put less stress on the plane than going thru an advanced IMAC routine and it's rode in the trailer to and fro so it hasn't been beat in a vehicle.

No doubt in my mind if the second run is like the first they just won't last to any type of flying. Hopefully there are some big big changes in the second run. Typically I fly a plane till I retire it, less than 20 flights on this one and it's already just coming apart.

Edit - went back and looked at it again after I got it home today and got the hatch off. The whole right side of the plane (the fuselage side) has come unglued from the formers from the firewall back to behind the wing tube. It's not really left connected to anything basically the firewall a little and the covering. It's not attached to the engine box structure anymore.

It's done for I'm not gonna invest the time to pull the side or the engine box (you can't get in there to glue it because the engine box structure is in the way). So 15 flights is all it took.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:10 PM
rctom

This is to all the people who have been flying the 1.20 size Edge. There are 15 pages in this thread so there are obviously a lot of opinions, however we only sold about a dozen planes so most of this is question/answer and speculation.

I would like to hear anyone else's experiences PRIVATELY by email at [email protected]. If there are problems and you did not want to publish them now is the time to please tell me. I'd like to know if BOB101's experience is an anomaly or are there other problems that I should know about.

I don't want to start any controversy so please just send email, again it's [email protected].

If they are all as bad as BOB101 says his is then I should know it before I get a bigger shipment.

TF
Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Tom,

I must say that 1.20 size Edge is just sharp. I am missing my quarter scale edge so I might have to order one up. Uncle Sam only pays me for another month so I need to make my next batch of airplane buying smartly.

Edge Folks,

Lets get some opinions: Engines in Two and Four stroke enough to hover? Would like to hear some honest opinions on this. Anyone gone gas on this? I am going to re-read through the forum to see but would like to hear.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:00 AM
SBR_RV

i need to get me one of these planes
Old 06-08-2005, 07:26 AM
rctom

I have not received any other input since my invitation so the shipment is on, it should be here in about 7 weeks now. It willleave Thailand 1 week from today.

TF
Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Well finally finished my edge today and got 2 flights on it

in order to fly today i rushed some things i eye balled the throws , i did not laterally balance it,forgot to cut the bottom of the cowl for the muffler stacks and air exit. so i cut open the bottom of the cowl with some scissors and flew it
setup
cg set to 4and 3/8 by total luck

OS 160 used and broke in
APC 18x6w prop
hitec 645 on all surfaces
811 on throttle
JR 700 FM Rx
WH hardware package with dubro control horns
fromeco 2400 Li-on
mpi 6 volt reg
15% nitro 20 % synth fuel by Wildcat

controlled by JR 9303

had to put the rudder cables crossed found that the plane is meant for them to be crossed
tank mounted butted up on the wing tube. had to use 1.25" servo arms on the ele i used some recycled 4" turnbuckles on the ailerons and i used a couple pieces of antenna tubes about 6 inches long crossed and wrapped with thread and a drop of CA for the crossed pull pull cables separator pics of this available if wanted

no idea on the weight yet . but this setup flew with power[8D]

plane flew light and with a little wing rock thats due to my lack in set up but its been a long time on the work table and i had to fly it.

rolling harriers required a little bit of effort i had it a little sensitive
hovered easy
water falls great
didn't do any elevators but after the setup and trim out i bet there will be no wing rock
this edge actually did decent snap rolls and even with the 15 mph cross wind ladings were survived with a minor stall on the first landing pilot error of course landing gear held up doesn't look bent at all

space is tight for the interior set up but theres enough to cover your bases

Old 06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

How did you guys balance yours? Right side up or upside down? Should maiden at HOTMAC tomorrow if the weather is good.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:33 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

i did it like the 28%ers while it was sitting on the ground wheels down finger on the wing tips
4and 3/8
Old 06-22-2005, 04:10 AM
mr.scale

a 40 zdz will fly this plane with futaba S3101?
peque
thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 07:43 AM
rctom

ZDZ-40 will fly it definitely. I don't know about those servos, I don't have much experience with Futabas.

TF
Old 06-22-2005, 09:32 AM
olstoney

Tom,
Will the standard aluminum servo horns supplied with the 5600 Hitec digitals give sufficient throw for the IMAC basic pattern and general aerobatics? If not, what size would you recommend and what size double servo horn will be required for the pull pull on the rudder, 2.50" or 3.0"? I like to use ball links on the servo ends when possible when I build my CF/Titanium 4/40 pushrods. Thanks, Brian....
Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 PM
mr.scale

cool!! so, when is the next shipment?
peque
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM
rctom

Those little aluminum arms are kinda short. I'd use 1" minimum. I like the black plastic ones that come with the servo.

TF
Old 06-22-2005, 03:28 PM
rctom

The container just left Thailand, so allow 5 weeks for delivery here.

Tf
Old 06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
mr.scale

are they all taken yet?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:59 PM
olstoney

Tom,
Previous Question #1:
I didn't get any black plastic arms with the MG servos I think they only come with the Karbonite geared servos. Should I have received some black ones with the MG Hitecs too? There are four 5625 MG'S and one 5645MG for the rudder. The servos are at Hitec now being matched, so perhaps if there is something missing I can have it replaced if pointed out to them.

Question #2 not posted, Rudder pull-pull double servo horn length, 2.50" or 3.0"?

Thanks, Brian....
Old 06-22-2005, 07:11 PM
olstoney

Double post, sorry[&o].
Old 06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
mstroh3961

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Tom,
Previous Question #1:
I didn't get any black plastic arms with the MG servos I think they only come with the Karbonite geared servos. Should I have received some black ones with the MG Hitecs too? There are four 5625 MG'S and one 5645MG for the rudder. The servos are at Hitec now being matched, so perhaps if there is something missing I can have it replaced if pointed out to them.

Question #2 not posted, Rudder pull-pull double servo horn length, 2.50" or 3.0"?

Thanks, Brian....
I just looked at my 5945 boxes the had the blue aluminum arms in one bag, and in the other bag with the screws & rubber isolators were the following arms.
1 red 4 way
1" single
1.25" single
2.25 double
2.75" double
and a 1.75 round
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 PM
olstoney

Mark,
Thank you, I guess I'm a little ignorant here. I sent the NIB servos and NIB QPCM receiver off to Hitec to be matched without opening anything. Is your description the same is what Tom is referring to, black in color? I also thought that using ball links on a plastic servo arm was a no-no due to twisting. I don't mind buying Airwild aluminum arms as long as I know which size to order. I hate buying something and then finding out it should have been 1/4" longer and have to replace it again if you know what I mean[:@].

Question #2 Rudder pull pull horn length anyone??
Old 06-22-2005, 08:18 PM
mstroh3961

I believe Tom only recommends using the HD plastic arms with clevises. I used the MLP arm's on my 28% edge 540. I used the 1.25 arms on elevates and ailerons. and the 3" double on the pull pull.

Since your setting up the 1.20 class bird I have to claim ignorance on sizes.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:55 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

I used the biggest arm that came with my 5945 for the rudder, so I guess that's the 2.75". I finally flew mine today and also had the first dead stick with it. I need to block stuff off and open up the cowl some more to get better airflow around the engine. Didn't hurt anything, just almost made me crap my pants. Talked with Max Blose (father of Todd Blose) who helped and he said he nearly craps himself in the same situation. Plus I found out I needed more elevator on low rates. At some points in the dead stick the nose was pointed straight down in sharp turns due to lack of rudder input. It's still in one piece though so I added some more elevator and I'll open up the cowl some more. Next flight will be in Colorado hopefully within a week though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.