Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Battery wiring opptions

Old 03-02-2005, 05:47 PM
bluemagic98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery wiring opptions

I have been looking at the different options for batteries and have decided to use the fremoco package with 3 2400 Mah packs. when i fly its a bit of a deal for me to get everything in the car and ready so I tend to leave early and stay all day so running out of batteries is always a problem. What wiring options have some of you used and how have you setup your charging options. Thank you all for your time.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Battery wiring opptions

Hey Blue..
I just got a setup from Fromeco..I wanted to go with 3 2400 packs but Kurt actually talked me out of it..even though I would be spending LESS money! Instead I got a 4800 which are just 2 2400's wired together..a 2400 with 2 super regulated reliaswitchs..They come with a charging lead that you can either keep inside the fuse or you can use those charge jacks that mount to the side of the fuse..
Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
bluemagic98

One of the big reasons i decided to use the 3 battery option was to have the redundancy 2 batteries 2 regulators and 2 switches for the RX and the 3rd for the Ign. I considered a Nickle metal hybrid on the ign but after you add a switch your within a few dollars of the package deal. I still wonder if this is worth the expense. I bet i would save over $100 using all Nmh 6v batteries.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Easy does it
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Magic I was a big supporter of redundant batteries,(ask silversurfer ) however 3 of us fly 28% planes at our club and I am the only one doing so with 2 receiver batteries. I fly with duralites which have to have regulators,my second battery is connected with a "Y" Battery- Rudder servo- rudder port on receiver, with a switch and regulator in between of course,this has proven to work very well, I was somewhat skeptical until Tom posted the same set-up on here. The reason for this is that I was short of spare ports on the receiver, if you have open ports you can plug your second battery into any one of them and do without the "Y"
Old 03-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The NiMh batteries will be a little cheaper, but will not even come close to the amount of stored energy availble with the Li-ons. Nor will the NiMh batteries hold their chrage for as long as the Li-ons. with the NiMh batteries you will have to re-charge at the field if you get in a big day of flying. Not likely with the Li-ons. I've flown at a 3 day event, 6 to 7 times a day and went home with safe battery levels without recharging the flight batteries in a 28% Extra. You're going to have to pile a lot of Nicad or NiMh batteries into a plane to do that.

There really isn't a need for battery redundancy in a 28% plane, IMO, if you use high quality products and install everything properly. Agreed, the Fromeco packages with the Ruper Reliaswitch option does cost more than some other types of batteries, but a Super Reliaswitch will fail in the "ON" position if something goes south. That eliminates the need for switch redundancy. You would be feeding both batteries into one receiver anyway so there is no redundancy at that point.

Another factor with the Fromeco batteries is the heavy duty 14 gauge wire and H/D Deans connector that's installed on each one. You would be hard pressed to obtain the same level of low resistance with two standard battery/switch connectors as you would with just one Fromeco battery wire/connector.

Another point is that a Super Reliaswitch has a user adjustable voltage output. A very nice feature if you're into using digital servos.

The above are my opinions only and do not represent those of Wild Hare.

Pat
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Josey Wales

Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM
bluemagic98

Every one ive spoken to has recomended dual batteries and switches. Im going to have to think on this a while.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: bluemagic98

Every one ive spoken to has recomended dual batteries and switches. Im going to have to think on this a while.
By all means do what YOU feel most comfortable with..Whatever you choose I would suggest to actually call Kurt and order over the phone as he is VERY willing to answer any questions you may have..

Oh yea..if you dont have a suitable charger get the Fromeco..its fool-proof..just ask Silversurfer!!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,

Are you out to get me or something?

If one cell shorts out in a 4 cell pack you're going to be in trouble. It will take the other ones down with it. If nothing else, it becomes a break in the circuit.

Haven't heard from you in awhile. Where ya been?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Joe,

Are you out to get me or something?

If one cell shorts out in a 4 cell pack you're going to be in trouble. It will take the other ones down with it. If nothing else, it becomes a break in the circuit.

Haven't heard from you in awhile. Where ya been?
Nahh I just like to give you old guys a hard time once in a while..
Check your email
Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
bluemagic98

well after a call and some debate I am going with 2 2400's on the RX i know its anothe $50 or $60 but after all I do want all this gear to grow with me I smell a bigger plane after i fly the wings off this one
Old 03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Josey Wales

Youll love the Fromeco's!![8D]
Old 03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
bluemagic98

all this waiting around for money and snow to melt is killing me. Im headed to a swap meet this weekend and if i donr blow a whole in my budget ill be getting the batteries and a servo along with other goodies for this bird. thank you all for your input
Old 03-02-2005, 10:10 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Yep the Fromeco are very nice batt. I went with only a 2400 for receiver and 1 2400 for ignition both with the reliaswitches. When I talk to Kurt about my setup with 5 8611 o the plane he said just 1 2400 would do just fine but I'd be on the Edge, so I guess I may not get a week of flying time with 1 2400 but I don't mind chargin the batteries everyday,, since I already have a charger why not use it?

I'm the kind of guy that like to charge my batteries the day before flying.

If I were you I would get 1 4800 and 1 2400 and that's it!!! you wont need more than that!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Josey Wales

Bluemagic..Check out this website if you havent already..It has some good close-up shots of the wiring

http://www.edge540t.com/index.html
Old 03-02-2005, 10:34 PM
bluemagic98

I have been to that site a few times. It has helped me a few times. Today i installed all the control horns. the last couple of days was mounting the motor and coweling. I did have a little oops with the dremel but a bigger washer will help hide that little oops. I found a sizable dent under the covering of one of the wings. UPS goto love them. after this week end if i get all the goodies i need ill be mounting the batteries the rudder servo and the ignition. Then i have to wait for more $
Old 03-03-2005, 10:05 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know how to take out that dent?

Heat up your covering iron. Get a small syringe with a teeny needle and fill it with alcohol or water.

Inject the liquid under the covering and into the wood fibers in the dented area, try to get some moisture in all of it. Now go over it with your iron. Wherever you touch the fibers will pop out and the dent will disappear.

TF
Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 PM
bluemagic98

Ive heard this before. this is a little to big for that i have to get into this but im sure before i get to the field ill have to use that little trick in a couple of places.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:53 PM
mbinkley

Is any body using NIMA batteries ? I set my Edge up with 2 1650 mah 4.8 volt hydrimax RX packs and one 1650 mah 6.0 volt hydrimax ignition pack. Does any use a set up like that and how well does it work for you?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:33 PM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

i am using 2 1650 NiMh 5-cell 6-volt batteries for the reciever, and 1, 4.8 volt 1100 on the ignition. works fine for me, but i havent done a lot of flying with it yet, only like 3 flights.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

I use 3 1650 NiMH packs, all 6 volt. You get more tork and speed from your servos on 6 Volts.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:55 AM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After talking with Kurt, and reading hundreds of posts on battery
setup's I decided to go the same route as Redrum...

1- 4800 lion of the Rx
1- 2400 lion for the ignition
2 regulated reliaswitches

ORIGINAL: Redrum

Hey Blue..
I just got a setup from Fromeco..I wanted to go with 3 2400 packs but Kurt actually talked me out of it..even though I would be spending LESS money! Instead I got a 4800 which are just 2 2400's wired together..a 2400 with 2 super regulated reliaswitchs..They come with a charging lead that you can either keep inside the fuse or you can use those charge jacks that mount to the side of the fuse..
Old 03-15-2005, 12:41 AM
bluemagic98

ORIGINAL: rctom

Do you know how to take out that dent?

Heat up your covering iron. Get a small syringe with a teeny needle and fill it with alcohol or water.

Inject the liquid under the covering and into the wood fibers in the dented area, try to get some moisture in all of it. Now go over it with your iron. Wherever you touch the fibers will pop out and the dent will disappear.

TF
I got around to trying this and Man i was amazed. You cant see where the dent was I had never expected it to work this well.