Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

problem with the tail gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:54 PM
tiktock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with the tail gear

there's a problem with the tail gear on my 28% edge, when i land the wheel gets stuck in one direction and then i cant seem to control the plane. could i remove the springs and have a free rotating tail wheel? or could i fix the tail wheel straight? and control the plane with the rudder only?

thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: problem with the tail gear

The odds are your tail gear is getting stuck because it's pushing up and jamming in the bushing. (Mine did this). I replaced it with a better tail gear assembly life is good now.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:22 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should put a wheel collar on the shaft before it is pushed into the carrier bearing, this will allow it to move smoothly.

TF
Old 05-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Ken Bryant

You should put a wheel collar on the shaft before it is pushed into the carrier bearing, this will allow it to move smoothly.
Tom, The one that came with my 300LX (ages ago) was so short that I couldn't add a collar to the bottom. Again it was no big deal anyway it lasted for about 30 flights.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tail wheels that come with the original kit runs were sort of a gift from the manufacturing side of the process. They aren't the best available, but they will work until you obtain something better.

If you want the latest, greates, super light unit, give RCBlimbpro a call for one of his. If you're not overly concerned about the weight, get an Ohio tail wheel assembly. They work well and last forever. The newer Goldberg products are a bit on the soft side.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:53 AM
tiktock

the problem is that it will take about 2 weeks for me to order another gear so, till then could i remove the springs and have a free rotating tail wheel? or could i fix the tail wheel straight? and control the plane with the rudder only?
or both of these ideas are bad and i should just wait till i get a new one?
Old 05-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Ken Bryant

To be honest it sounds like you need to experiment. BUT I would try adding allot of grease to the pivot shaft to see if I could get it working.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:27 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Order a replacement, disconnect your springs, and keep flying. You won't really miss the steerable tail wheel. Do you fly from grass or a hard surface? You may need to help steer the plane to the runway, but the takeoff roll and landing roll shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 PM
bluemagic98

I slid a little washer onto the shaft and silver soldered it its taken a lot of abuse
Old 05-07-2006, 12:29 AM
tiktock

as tom suggested i've got a wheel collar and i have 2 washers, the whole assembly moves very smoothly.
what happens is that by hand if i move the tail wheel anti clockwise it comes back but if i move it clockwise it just stays there and it doesn't come back.
hence what happens is that when the plane lands it goes left. I think it might have something to do with the spring tension