Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

four servos & split ailerons?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default four servos & split ailerons?

I think I poised this question before, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Has anyone done a four servo, spit aileron mod on any of your Wild Hare 35%+ birds that have the four servo option wings?

I'm contemplating doing this on my 35% Giles. Using two servos per wing, and splitting the ailerons at the mid aileron control horn mount. Utilizing the "crow" feature in the JR X9303, like the H9 Ultra Stick setup.

Pros:

[ul][*] Not having to use a matchbox or programming servos (Hitec)[*] Being able to have "air brakes" (crow)[*] can use four servos with less torque requirements[*] not worring about aileron flex when using only one servo per wing in the center mount[*] Just doing something different
[/ul]

Cons:

[ul][*] extra time setting up the feature in the radio[*] modifying the ailerons (small inconvenience)[*] weight of extra servos[*] cost of extra servos[*] having to make additional pushrods
[/ul]

What do you guys think? Comments welcomed.

Jon
Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: four servos & split ailerons?

sounds good to me if you do not mind doing the mods.....
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually considered setting up the ailerons so they could be cut in half. I think they already have 6 hinges, 3 to a half.

It should be something fun to do. Go for it.

TF
Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 PM
wowie

Did you ever find out how to use two servos per aileron and what's involved in setting it all up?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

I'm going to cut the aileron into two seperate control surfaces at the center control horn and then simply re-cover the cut ends. Then, I'll install servos as if it were a standard four servo arrangement. I'll utilize the programming guide (attached below) to program the radio for a quad servo wing, ala the Ultra Stick 60.

The unfortunate thing with my Giles is my ailerons are already attached and hinged, but this is a small inconvenienvce for me, now I just have to be extra careful cutting the ailerons in half.

Fortunately, the hinges are such that there is a hinge on either side of the proposed cut, so the ends will be supported!

The programming seems a little intense, but should be fun in the end.

Jon

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Da83215.pdf (56.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-17-2010, 04:06 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fortunately, the hinges are such that there is a hinge on either side of the proposed cut, so the ends will be supported!

I did it that way on purpose just for this situation.

Let us know how it works. I'm thinking that using the inner sections as flaps should make short field landings pretty neat.

TF