YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

110 FZ Broken Header Pipe @ taper

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Jack-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110 FZ Broken Header Pipe @ taper

I have a 110FZ which has always ran excellent & I love it. However, its gone through two header pipe / muffler sets. The 1st header pipe broke on flight #12 right at the point it tapers down to the smaller diameter then it was at the head, and of coarse I lost the muffler because it was attached to the other end of the header. I was a bit puzzled as to why this could have happened, but I chalked it up to - maybe the prop was not balanced and the airplane was having vibration issues? (Funtana 90 / low RPM's most of the time unless bailing out of a hover etc.. but, hey it could have been ?), so anyway I just got on-line and ordered a muffler set from central hobbies.com and went on with life, no big deal.

Well, here's my problem now, the same EXACT header pipe failure has occurred. I have made absolutely sure to keep my prop balanced as close to perfect as I could get it (to eliminate vibration as the culprit once and for all), and on flight #27 I saw something come off the plane while going vertical. I made a low pass and could tell by the exhaust note before the plane got to me what had fallen off. I confirmed my speculation upon landing the airplane.

I spoke with a gentlemen at YS Performance (forgive me, I can't remember his name) and explained that I had a broken header pipe and that this was the second time etc... The end result was the gentleman said he would take care of it. I received a new header pipe from YS Performance by the next week. I appreciate the prompt service and the new header pipe, however I assumed that since I lost the muffler along with the rest of the header pipe and a lock nut that a whole new muffler set would be sent to me.

I have to draw the conclusion that YS Performance only sent me the header pipe, and only the header pipe because that was the only part that actually broke and therefore would be the only part replaced by the warranty. Is this the policy, even though the muffler & muffler lock nut were lost because of a header piper failure alone?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 110 FZ Broken Header Pipe @ taper

You spoke with Richard Verano. He owns and operates the service dept. You need to call him back and ask him to send the rest of the muffler. It's possible that he misunderstood you and thought that you had the rest of the muffler when, in fact, you did not.

Please let us know if this is settled to your satisfaction.

Dave
Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Jack-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Richard and got this all straightened out, after a slightly awkward & short conversation with him its clear that this was just a simple miscommunication. He is sending another muffler to me. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem.