Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 63S experience

Old 11-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Newc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 63S experience

Dave - I followed your advice to get a couple of YS 63S engines to power the G&P Sales 104" PBN Nomad (recommended engines are .61 2C or .91 4C) that I'll be building this winter. Got one to try before taking the full plunge, since it's my first YS and to make sure that the engines would be enough for this large plane. The engine was ordered from Bill at Hobby Barn and arrived within a couple of days just like Bill said it would.

FYI - and the info of others that read these posts - I also decided to upgrade my engine test stand from a homemade wooden one to an aluminum one from PSP (www.pspmfg.com) for initial break-in. The folks at PSP were great, as is their stand.

I'm sure glad that I got the new stand, since after following the instructions on YS Performance's website (using an OS Type F plug and CoolPower 30% Heli fuel) the engine started right up and without any adjustments was turning an APC 11x7 at the top end of the recommended RPM range when running VERY rich. My old wooden stand probably would not have withstood the power this engine develops. Switched props to an APC 12x6 and installed the engine on a Balsa USA Stingray for in-flight break-in. With this prop it would idle at ~2800 RPM and I limited the top end to 11,500 RPM while still running VERY rich. Even at this rich setting it was pulling ~9# of thrust.

Changed to an APC 13x6 prop (was afraid that the engine would be over revving with the 12x6 prop during break-in) and took the plane to the field. WOW! Still running very rich and RPM at ~11,000 and idling at ~2600 RPM. Plane damn near turned over on it's side when I gave it throttle too fast for TO due to the torque. Serious power on demand and so quiet that I mistakenly thought that I had a couple of deadsticks until I gave it some more throttle and saw it move up and out (very quickly) with a smoke trail. Transitions have been instantaneous under all the above conditions. By the way, this plane previously had a good running OS 61FX, and the power of the YS engine is better than that on the same airframe.

In short, the engine is awesome, and if the second one performs like the first one there's certainly going to be no issues with getting the Nomad off the water, and the performance and sound will be exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for your recommendation and the information you post on this board.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Dave Shadel

Default RE: YS 63S experience

Post some photos when the big bird is finished, please.

Glad you like the engines, let us know if we can be of any help.

Good Flying,
Dave
Old 11-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Newc

Dave and all others who see this - I posted further comments earlier but they aren't appearing so I'll try again.

Will be glad to post pictures of the Nomad when it's done, but that won't be for a while since I haven't received the kit yet and I plan to stretch the project out to fill those cold, snowy days when it's no good for flying.

Meant to mention in the priginal post that in addition to the great experience that I'm having with the YS 63S, there's another aspect that I dind't mention previously - the weight savings. Yep, in changing from the OS 61FX with a Mac's Muffler on it to the YS 63S with the stock YS muffler there was a weight savings of ~4 ounces. Since the Mac's muffler weights ~3 ounces less than the stock OS muffler, there is almost 1/2 pound weight savings when going from the stock OS 61FX to the YS 63S.

When you think about this in the context of the plane that I'm going to build, the power of the YS 63S pair will be more than needed. Since the recommended power for the plane is either a pair of .61 2-strokes or .91 4-strokes, it means that the old way of thinking - that "you need more cubic inches and take a weight penalty when changing from a two stroke to a four stroke" - isn't true when a YS engine is the one to which you are changing.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Dave Shadel

Thanks for your comments. Lots of fliers already know this, and when the rest find out they will all be happier!