YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 110 FZ Vent and Fuel Hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 PM
mlj3
My Feedback: (95)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YS 110 FZ Vent and Fuel Hook-up

Hi I am a proud owner of a used Very good condition YS 110 FZ..I have ran the engine on a bench and it has performed well.I want to make sure I have it plumbed right as far as the vent and the fuel nipples on the front of the engine.Looking at engine from the front in the upright position.Is it correct that of the two nipples closest to the prop that the nipple that is on the left and closest to the exhaust port is fuel and the other is the vent.I have not really seen a clear pic of this.I understand that the two nipples on the right side (veiwing from the front) are fuel and are connected. Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS 110 FZ Vent and Fuel Hook-up

Yes looking from the front of the engine the line closest to the exhaust is fuel supply and the one away from the exhaust side of the engine is not Vent but is the Pressure line back to the tank.

Go here For a diagram and manual that came with the engine.

http://www.yspartsandservice.com/pdf/FZ110.pdf

There is a check valve in the pressure line that allows pressure to flow from the engine to the tank...but not from the tank back to the engine.

Take special care to notice this check valve. It has to be there.

Troy Newman
Team YS Performance
Old 04-02-2007, 11:24 PM
mlj3

Thnaks for the speedy reply. Another question is what is the best way of getting the prop nuts tight without a pair of vice grips holding the Drive washer.I hate doing this and I know it decreases the value of the engine But you know that the prop has Better be TIGHT !!!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Troy Newman

I have never used vice grips to hold the thrust washer while tightening the prop on any engine!

Does you prop slip on the shaft all the way?

I have seen guys that try to pull the shaft through a slightly undersized hole have trouble before.....In any case the prop should be a slip fit all the way back. Perhaps you spinner if using one doesn't have a hole the right size in it..........

I don't have a clue as to what the problem is. Never had it happen. In fact in now 26years of modeling experience I have never seen somebody grab the thrust washer with vice grips to hold it while tightening the prop.

I use a Craftsmen 1/2" box end wrench. I also have a 1/2" Line wrench I think is the name.....both work.

The combination wrench has the fully closed end. The Line wrench has a 3/4 closed end.

Troy Newman
Team YS Performance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99371.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	655880  
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
mlj3

The Drive washer is the one I am holding not the thrust washer.Heres the deal I am installing a prop on the engine.The prop slides all the way back to the drive washer.I install the 1st lock nut.When I try to tighten the nut but the crank turning prevents the nut from tightening. I cannot tighten the nut until I hold the drive washer from turning.On my two strokes engine I often take out the glow plud and install a piston stop tool that prevent the engine from turning over as i tighten the prop nut
Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
mlj3

O yes I put on the Propeller washer before I install the 1st lock nut.Wanted to make that clear Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
XMANS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have a streched crankshaft caused by over tightening the prop.

I have a streched shaft from a DZ on my bench at the moment.

Borrow another engine or get a bolt of the same thread pitch and hold the two threads together,
you will soon see if the threads are streched.

I had to teach my son on how to use a tension wrench as he has not yet developed the feel for judging tensions yet.

Will Crossman
Down under
Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Troy Newman

Thrust washer, drive washer we are talking about the same part.

Sorry I don't know, never seen it or heard about it. Maybe a new Crankshaft is needed. And I would say a new Drive washer.

Possible the tappered collet that is behind the drive washer is not seated properly. A small gear puller is used to remove the drive washer.

The collets actual name is the the drive washer retainer.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Gulliver

Excuse me for jummping in, but I just have the feeling that if mlj3 put a ring of sandpaper between the drive washer and the prop, all his troubles would go away.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
mlj3

Thanks for the replies. Problem is solved.I took the glow plug out.Screwed my piston stop tool in the glow plug hole and screwed it down far enough that when I turned the engine over until the piston would come up against the tool and that prevented the crank from turning as i tighten the lock nuts.The 1st time i tried it I was not turning the engine over enough for the piston to come up against the tool or I did not have the tool screwed all the way in..I don,t think you fully understood what I was asking but I guess I could of explained myself better.Thanks also for the disk of sand paper idea.I will try it if I get any slippage but right now all is well as I am running the engine on a bench. Thanks !!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: mlj3

Thanks for the replies. Problem is solved.I took the glow plug out.Screwed my piston stop tool in the glow plug hole and screwed it down far enough that when I turned the engine over until the piston would come up against the tool and that prevented the crank from turning as i tighten the lock nuts.The 1st time i tried it I was not turning the engine over enough for the piston to come up against the tool or I did not have the tool screwed all the way in..I don,t think you fully understood what I was asking but I guess I could of explained myself better.Thanks also for the disk of sand paper idea.I will try it if I get any slippage but right now all is well as I am running the engine on a bench. Thanks !!

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Wow......
Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
SpectrePilot
My Feedback: (9)

New to the YS 110, have a lot of hope based on reading about the performance, but currently a lot of frustration based on experience.

I decided to stop and hook everything up again.

Line from fuel tank feed line goes to a fuel dot, which then goes to the exhaust side inlet on the front of the engine.

Line from the fuel tank vent line goes to the inlet on the front right (opposite the exhaust side), with the check valve installed to allow pressure from the engine to the tank.

Having never used a pressurized system, this seems like it would over-pressurize the tank when filling.

I set the high and low needles as suggested in the set up posted here in multiple places.

As of my attempted flight today, then engine starts but the throttle does not respond (yes I checked the servo connection). I can see the throttle barrel moving, but the engine stays at idle. This is a new YS so I didn't think anything would be broken. I guess a mixture problem could be causing this?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Troy Newman

Look here....

http://www.centralhobbies.com/instructional/lines.html

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 PM
SpectrePilot

Well that certainly answers my pressure problem question...so much to learn.

What about the throttle issue?

Thanks for the great info!
Old 07-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Troy Newman

Here is some more infor on the YS engines setting up and running them.

http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/factsheets/ys_engines.php

Is the throttle arm moving and possibly it is loose on the throttle barrel and it is not opening? Just by chance?

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 07-01-2007, 03:43 PM
SpectrePilot

I have not taken the cowl off yet, but the arm moves and the attachment on the outside of the barrel is moving.

Like anything new, I guess it can be frsutrating to properly set up the first time, but I have heard such great things about the strong performance of the YS-110.

BTW - I am running this in a Showtime 4-D.